Export thread

The DC Cinematic Universe - The David Zazlav Dumpster Fire.

Limit: 500

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07...tman-film-will-be-the-next-dc-universe-movie/

There were rumours that there'd be an announcement for Flash in 2016 and Justice League for 2017, but that didn't happen.

Anyway, I think this shows that WB is hesitant to do a Man of Steel sequel as word of mouth and reviews of it being too dark and such have left them not as joyous as, say, the Nolan Batman films. So they're taking their Bat-breadwinner and putting him with Superman.

Frank

Frank

Beaten SUCKA!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Beaten SUCKA!

Mine's better because the title actually says what it's supposed to be.

Frank

Frank

Mine has better pictures.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

So, who's playing Batman?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

So, who's playing Batman?

No word on that, yet. Some believe Nolan's sticking around to convince Bale to return (along with paying him a fuck ton of money).

Frank

Frank

That would be awful. Bale is the worst part of those movies.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

That would be awful. Bale is the worst part of those movies.
Yeeeeep.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I know there's no official, word, more who do y'all want? I'm coming up blank other than my stock "Idris Elba" answer that goes for Dr Who, James Bond, pretty much every open role ever

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

"Idris Elba"
Hrm... I'd watch that.

Anonymous

WB, your desperation is showing.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That was me.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I must admit, though, this is some pretty forward thinking by WB. I mean, Batman's ONLY been on the big screen 7 times - 9 if you count Adam West and Mask of the Phantasm.

It's not like there aren't other characters they should be working on to get a feature film.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I must admit, though, this is some pretty forward thinking by WB. I mean, Batman's ONLY been on the big screen 7 times - 9 if you count Adam West and Mask of the Phantasm.

It's not like there aren't other characters they should be working on to get a feature film.

Audiences won't want to see it unless they've seen it before. See: Pacific Rim

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Audiences won't want to see it unless they've seen it before. See: Pacific Rim

Wonder Woman is just as iconic as Batman and Superman and been around almost as long as them. It's a damn crime she hasn't had a movie yet. I've said it for a long time, but if they'd taken the script for the animated Wonder Woman movie and made it live action, it would've been AWESOME.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Wonder Woman is just as iconic as Batman and Superman and been around almost as long as them. It's a damn crime she hasn't had a movie yet. I've said it for a long time, but if they'd taken the script for the animated Wonder Woman movie and made it live action, it would've been AWESOME.

Movie Executive: "Let's see here... female super hero? Pass. What's this, Michael Bay wants to remake Weekend at Bernies? Green light, let's begin production."

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

:cry:

It just makes me sad because we've never gotten a female superhero movie.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

:cry:

It just makes me sad because we've never gotten a female superhero movie.

Well, there's been... uhh... hurr... hrm. Tank Girl? Kinda?

blotsfan

blotsfan

Elektra

Just Me

Just Me

Cat Woman

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Cat Woman
Don't you blaspheme in here, DON'T YOU BLASPHEME IN HERE!!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Supergirl.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Barb Wire.

Shawn

Shawn

Matilda.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Salt

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

My Super Ex-Girlfriend

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

See, Nick? There are plenty of perfectly good female superhero movies.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

See, Nick? There are plenty of perfectly good female superhero movies.

I don't know where they got all those titles, though. None of those movies exist. I mean, it's like the Transformers movie. The one in the 80s is still one of my favourite animated movies. It's a shame they never made any live-action ones. The only possible way they could screw that up is maybe have Michael Bay direct and focus more on the humans than the Transformers. But only a moron would do that.

Frank

Frank

How fucking crazy is it that of all those mentioned Barb Wire is probably the most watchable?

Espy

Espy

As much as I'd rather see one more solo superman film this is probably a brilliant idea for any number of reasons. I'd like to think they will let JGL take over the Bat role but based on what I've read so far it sounds like they are going to go with a totally new person, kind of a different take on the Bat than in Nolan's film. Which is fine really, it's not *really* the same world. Close, but not the same.

Espy

Espy

From the comic-con panel on Superman's 75th anniversary:
Was Goyer caught off-guard from the backlash over Man of Steel's ending? "To a certain extent, Superman, cinematically, hadn't been reinvented since the Donner films," Goyer says, expressing the need to do something different in their take. "We will be dealing it with the coming film. He's not fully formed in [Man of Steel]. He will have to deal with the repercussions in the next film."
This is exactly what I expected. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I assume Batman will be looking to take down what he perceives as a threat to humans only to discover he's actually his BFF.

THEN THEY KISS.:awesome:

Bowielee

Bowielee

How fucking crazy is it that of all those mentioned Barb Wire is probably the most watchable?
Supergirl is one of my guilty pleasures. Mostly because I absolutely LOVE watching Faye Dunaway chew scenery.[DOUBLEPOST=1374466538][/DOUBLEPOST]
From the comic-con panel on Superman's 75th anniversary:

This is exactly what I expected. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I assume Batman will be looking to take down what he perceives as a threat to humans only to discover he's actually his BFF.

THEN THEY KISS.:awesome:
They could also address the elephant in the room of
the death of Zod.
Batman can claim the moral high ground and view Superman as a menace.

Espy

Espy

They could also address the elephant in the room of
the death of Zod.
Batman can claim the moral high ground and view Superman as a menace.
I'm pretty sure that is 90% of what Goyer is referring to, although that will be much more of a personal issue for Superman while Batman will just look at it like he has in the comics, ie, dangerous Alien we can't trust capable of immense violence=BAD.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Salt was more an action hero movie, not a super hero movie. You know, like Kill Bill.

--Patrick

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I haven't seen Salt, I was just spitballin. But now that you mention it - Kill Bill is explicitly a superhero movie, so I submit that on in place.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Black Scorpion owns!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I haven't seen Salt, I was just spitballin. But now that you mention it - Kill Bill is explicitly a superhero movie, so I submit that on in place.

No, it's more of a martial arts revenge flick with a strong female lead.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Did you fall asleep during the whole Superman conversation? (that's a jerk rhetorical question, I'm sorry)

But that convo in Kill Bill 2 spells it out

Tress

Tress

No, it's more of a martial arts revenge flick with a strong female lead.
When calling Kill Bill a superhero flick, think more Punisher and less Superman.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Did you fall asleep during the whole Superman conversation? (that's a jerk rhetorical question, I'm sorry)

But that convo in Kill Bill 2 spells it out

Which always bugged me because people would state that as fact for a reason to not like Superman when the whole point of the speech was how BILL perceived the character.

Covar

Covar

Punisher's a vigilante not a super-hero. ;)

Also Bill's Superman speech in that movie tells me that he gets the character about as well as David Goyer and Zack Snyder.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Which always bugged me because people would state that as fact for a reason to not like Superman when the whole point of the speech was how BILL perceived the character.

I just meant it as proof that The Bride was a superhero / Kill Bill is a superhero story. Not any specific point about Superman.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

No word on that, yet. Some believe Nolan's sticking around to convince Bale to return (along with paying him a fuck ton of money).
Wait... what?

The only reason the Nolan and Bale's Batman movies succeeded so well was because of the realistic approach they took to the settling. They even "grounded" very over the top characters like Ra's Al Ghul and Bane so that it didn't become too campy. No lazerus pits, no super-strength venom syrum. The only character that you could say had power was Scarecrow, and his toxin was still grounded in hallucinogenic compounds.

It won't make sense if Bale's Batman comes out of retirement only to work together with an alien space man-god. They needed to refresh him.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Oh, I'm not arguing in the least. I think the Nolan Bat-movies should be left as is without crossing over. I'm just going by what I've heard.

bhamv3

bhamv3

It'd be interesting if they have Batman already existing and well-established in this continuity, without going through the origin story. Just have Superman sitting on his porch, reading a newspaper, when he suddenly gets a startled look on his face. "How on Earth did you manage to sneak up on me?"

And a dark shape from the shadows replies, "I have my ways."

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It'd be interesting if they have Batman already existing and well-established in this continuity, without going through the origin story. Just have Superman sitting on his porch, reading a newspaper, when he suddenly gets a startled look on his face. "How on Earth did you manage to sneak up on me?"

And a dark shape from the shadows replies, "I have my ways.I'm Batman."
Fixed.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I concede your fix is better!

blotsfan

blotsfan

And a dark shape from the shadows replies, "I have my ways.I'm the Goddamn Batman"
Double fixed

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07...rman-batman-movie-plans-in-the-next-few-days/

Zach Snyder to meet with Frank Miller to discuss this movie.

:facepalm:

I bet Miller's advice will be something like, "Kill that Lois bitch. She was too competent in the last movie. Make her a hooker or a slut or kill her off. The only good woman is a dead one."

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

bhamv3

bhamv3

Oh come now, that's not fair, Miller has lots of strong female characters who aren't prostitutes and who don't die. There's...

um...

well there's...

let's see...

uh...

Oh! Miho's only ambiguously a prostitute! She counts!

Bowielee

Bowielee

I find it weird that when I used to call Frank Miller out on being a misogynistic homophobe on these boards, I'd get smacked down.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Zach Snyder to meet with Frank Miller to discuss this movie.

:facepalm:
Frank Miller is getting input on this movie, and The Flash TV series is going to be a spin-off of Arrow.

Today is making me facepalm almost as much as this DC news.

Still, I guess I'm not completely surprised that Frank Miller has been brought in, considering the dialog line read at the movie announcement was from The Dark Knight returns, and while the movie won't follow that plot, it will be taking inspiration from it.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

What I want from DC? A HBO Hellblazer series... or one for The Question.

Frank

Frank

Not all of Frank Miller's characters are prostitutes. Sometimes they're strippers.

Sometimes those strippers turn out to be prostitutes.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

As much fun as it's been to call Frank Miller one dimensional:

Is a pretty awesome character.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Until he ruins her in TDKR 2.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Until he ruins her in TDKR 2.
Until then. Yet still not a prostitute.

Catwoman on the other hand... didn't quite so much survive the Frank Miller treatment....

Bowielee

Bowielee

Elektra was interesting once upon a time too, but both those characters were made before he went totally loony toons.

Espy

Espy

I don't want to ruin a good internet freak out but the article, for all it's "OMG!" factor is basically a non-article (based on a UK article based on a comment by a "friend of Frank Miller's") and they admit it at the end:
Now, there’s no indication that Miller’s meeting with Snyder will be anything else than a couple of friends getting together for a chat, an opportunity to get one another up to date on their respective projects.
So this is some dude-bro who got word of Snyder and Miller, who aren't exactly people who have never met before, are having some lunch or something and now people are turning it into "OMG!!!!11 MILLER IS IN CHARGE OF DC!"

So calm down. It will be okay. They'll probably order some salmon. Maybe some bagels. Who knows.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

What I want from DC? A HBO Hellraiser series... or one for The Question.
As long as it is the Karate, Eastern Philosophy Question, not the everything is a conspiracy Question. I'd kill to see his VW Bug/Porsche on TV.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

What I want from DC? A HBO Hellraiser series...

I don't think DC owns the rights to Pinhead and the Cenobites. Unless you mean the John Constantine: Hellblazer series, then hell yes, I'm in.[DOUBLEPOST=1375375467][/DOUBLEPOST]

Early Frank Miller was awesome and untouchable. Even though there were still some misogynistic aspects seen in his work, it wasn't as blatant as it later became. I love his run on Daredevil and his Batman work like Year One and Dark Knight Returns are some of my favourite Bat-stories. But Miller went batshit crazy (or crazier) as time went on. I'd be hesitant to say that Sin City was his last, great work. It totally captures that noir style of tough guys and tough women, even if it can be a little male-centric and misogynistic at times.

Everything after that? Hoo boy, Frankie went off the deep end. 300 is just a big (somewhat subtle) love letter to the U.S. and the marines (their battle cry is similar to the marine's "hoo-rah!").

Frank

Frank

It's better with the masks on.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I don't want to ruin a good internet freak out but the article
Look, the internet is made for good freak-out articles. No one here wants your 'reason' or 'research' or 'extra information.' They want to read headlines, form conclusions that validate already-held convictions and see how many words they can make into portmanteaus with -fuck.

I swearfuck, if you so much as tryfuck to stopfuck my irrationalfuck rantfuck again, I'll fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck.

This simplistic, cynical view of the Internet has been brought to you buy:
Not enough coffee this morning
A sore neck
The letter L
And viewers like you

MindDetective

MindDetective

Chad is on fire this morning! Just like the valley I live in.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I don't think DC owns the rights to Pinhead and the Cenobites. Unless you mean the John Constantine: Hellblazer series, then hell yes, I'm in.[DOUBLEPOST=1375375467][/DOUBLEPOST]
I honestly always get the two title names confused.

Frank

Frank

http://www.batman-on-film.com/BATMAN-REBOOTED_BvS_rumor_Batman-BW-older-in-BvS_8-1-13.html

So, these folks claim there's a rumour of an older Batman in the new movie.

Hypothetically, if this were true (rumour sounds bunk to me, Hollywood never thinks old) who would you get to play him?

I think Jeffrey Dean Morgan could pull it off. He definitely has the look.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm actually more interested in this: Rumor: Warner Bros. Mulling a Batman Beyond Live Action Movie.

I hope it happens. Batman Beyond is my favorite part of the DC universe.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I honestly don't believe rumours anymore. I'll only believe once I see a trailer. Otherwise, we would have had Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian (no, really), Jack Black in a comedic Green Lantern, a Green Arrow in prison movie, a Joss Whedon scripted Wonder Woman movie, etc.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I honestly don't believe rumours anymore. I'll only believe once I see a trailer. Otherwise, we would have had Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian (no, really), Jack Black in a comedic Green Lantern, a Green Arrow in prison movie, a Joss Whedon scripted Wonder Woman movie, etc.
I'm pretty sure none of those were rumors persay (except maybe the Green Lantern one) but rather projects that just never happened.

bhamv3

bhamv3

... I'm interested in seeing Jack Black as Green Lantern.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm pretty sure none of those were rumors persay (except maybe the Green Lantern one) but rather projects that just never happened.

Well, still movies "in development" that never happened.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

"Older Batman" should totally be Michael Keaton

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

... I'm interested in seeing Jack Black as Green Lantern.
I've seen the script for that, and no, you don't want to see that. He would have played Jud Plato, a furniture salesman who is picked by Abin Sur's ring because it sees him eating bugs in a Fear Factor show. He would have used his ring to capture a villain in a giant condom construct.

No. You don't want to see this.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I've seen the script for that, and no, you don't want to see that. He would have played Jud Plato, a furniture salesman who is picked by Abin Sur's ring because it sees him eating bugs in a Fear Factor show. He would have used his ring to capture a villain in a giant condom construct.

This sounds like it was written by Kevin Smith... to star Jason Mewes.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

This sounds like it was written by Kevin Smith... to star Jason Mewes.

Bluntman and Chronic with power rings?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Bluntman and Chronic with power rings?
Exactly. And considering they just DID a Bluntman and Chronic animated movie...

bhamv3

bhamv3

... I am no longer interested in seeing Jack Black as Green Lantern.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Older Batman? CHristian Bale with lots of make-up, and preferably a voice-analyzer. Get someone you can understand to play the young and modern Bats :p

BananaHands

BananaHands

Hey, ThatNickGuy , how excited are you to see Batman beat Superman in a fight because of preptime?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Hey, ThatNickGuy , how excited are you to see Batman beat Superman in a fight because of preptime?
I bet there will be a cool montague of Bruce building the armored suit and weapons...

BananaHands

BananaHands

I bet there will be a cool montague of Bruce building the armored suit and weapons...
"How do you expect to beat him? You're just a man!"
"Not a man. An idea. I am the night. The... (cue montage with brooding speech over it)"

figmentPez

figmentPez

A torch for me. Let wantons light of heart
Tickle the senseless rushes with their heels.
For I am proverbed with a grandsire phrase,
I’ll be a candle holder, and look on.
The game was ne'er so fair, and I am done.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I honestly don't give a shit. I don't want the whole thing to be about who would win. I want to know WHY they would fight.

It's one of those things I enjoy the least about comic book discussions. Who would win in a fight between Buxom Thong Babe and Spandex-Clad Man? I don't care.

It's like a friend of mine asked me once: Who would win in a fight between Ultimate Spider-Man, Spectacular Spider-Man, Regular Universe Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2099 and a few others. My response? Spider-Man. He asked me which one. I said it doesn't matter because THEY'RE ALL SPIDER-MAN.

BananaHands

BananaHands

It's like a friend of mine asked me once: Who would win in a fight between Ultimate Spider-Man, Spectacular Spider-Man, Regular Universe Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2099 and a few others. My response? Spider-Man. He asked me which one. I said it doesn't matter because THEY'RE ALL SPIDER-MAN.
It doesn't matter because he didn't include Scarlet Spider.

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

It doesn't matter because he didn't include Scarlet Spider.
Or Captain Universe Spider Man

MindDetective

MindDetective

Espy

Espy

Wow that article was dumb.

EDIT: Except for the part about Brandon Routh. That was just hilarious.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Wow that article was dumb.

EDIT: Except for the part about Brandon Routh. That was just hilarious.
I would pay anything to see Adam West in the Dark Knight Returns super-armor

bhamv3

bhamv3

It feels like they’re doing it because… well, because Marvel made a junkton of money with an Avengers movie franchise, and now that somebody else has proved it’s profitable, they can’t just sit there and not do it. But that’s not really anything new; DC’s been trying to do stuff that worked at Marvel for the past fifty years.
Yeowch.

Frank

Frank

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/...million-to-return-for-superman-vs-batman.html

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, DON'T DO IT!

We didn't see that movie because he was in it! He's not what made them work. He is in fact, probably the weakest part of the entire series.

Espy

Espy

Lol. Oh the poor bale haters. I'd be thrilled if he returned but I have a feeling that I'd love Gosling or Brolin as well. Honestly I'm sure they want Bale back because he WILL draw crowds like crazy to this, but he's made it so clear that he's done that I just don't think it will happen.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Am I the only one that wants Joseph Gordon-Levitt to be Batman?

bhamv3

bhamv3

I want Joseph Gordon-Levitt to be in everything, so you're probably not alone.

Also, for some reason I'm really curious what Michael Fassbender would be like as Batman, but I have a huge mancrush on Michael Fassbender, so there's that.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Yes, but only because he'd make an amazing Nightwing.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I can support this.

Espy

Espy

Nope. But so far I don't think thats in the running. Which is a shame. ,

Bowielee

Bowielee

Oh, god, yes. I'd pay double the ticket price to see this. They could easily adapt his initial run in the Nightwing series where he moves to Blüdhaven into a Nolan-esque story. Just remove Blockbuster's super-strength, but keep his gigantism and heart issues.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Oh, god, yes. I'd pay double the ticket price to see this. They could easily adapt his initial run in the Nightwing series where he moves to Blüdhaven into a Nolan-esque story. Just remove Blockbuster's super-strength, but keep his gigantism and heart issues.
Played by...THE BIG SHOW! (purely for the size, but I think Show could pull it off).

Bowielee

Bowielee

I honestly don't give a shit. I don't want the whole thing to be about who would win. I want to know WHY they would fight.

It's one of those things I enjoy the least about comic book discussions. Who would win in a fight between Buxom Thong Babe and Spandex-Clad Man? I don't care.

Just cause I can be a dick sometimes.

A few of those guys, it could be argued, aren't really Spider-Man in the traditional sense. Insomuch as they are not all Peter Parker. :p

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Scarlet Spider and Kain can beat over a hundred mud-Spider-men, so there.

Frank

Frank

http://variety.com/interstitial/?ref=http://variety.com/2013/film/news/ben-affleck-is-the-new-batman-1200586881/

So there you have it. Batman is Ben Affleck.

Haaah.

Alright.

Soooo.

Yeah.

They did say they were going for an older dude and he's 41.

Bowielee

Bowielee

joker.jpg

Frank

Frank

I feel the same way I did at Heath Ledger being the Joker, so I'll wait and seeeeeee.

It's not a WHAAAT FUCK THAT! feeling, but more of a WHAAAT HUUUUUH I NEVER WOULDA! feeling.

bhamv3

bhamv3

http://variety.com/interstitial/?ref=http://variety.com/2013/film/news/ben-affleck-is-the-new-batman-1200586881/

So there you have it. Batman is Ben Affleck.

Haaah.

Alright.

Soooo.

Yeah.

They did say they were going for an older dude and he's 41.
What is this I don't even[DOUBLEPOST=1377224001,1377223886][/DOUBLEPOST]The guy already had a go at the dark, tortured super-normal hero, and the only good thing that could be said about Daredevil was that at least it wasn't as bad as its spinoff.

Frank

Frank

I wouldn't blame Daredevil on Affleck though, it was just a shitty movie all around.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Colin Farrel was delightfully over the top as Bullseye.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I wouldn't blame Daredevil on Affleck though, it was just a shitty movie all around.
True, but he wasn't exactly a shining light in it either.

An optimist would say there's nowhere for his superhero career to go but up, and true, Heath Ledger also raised eyebrows when he was cast, but I still have serious doubts about Affleck.

Frank

Frank

Colin Farrel was delightfully over the top as Bullseye.
I would say casting is one of the things it did right.

Bowielee

Bowielee

The main difference between Ledger and Affleck is that Ledger is ten times more talented.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I would say casting is one of the things it did right.
For the villains.

Frank

Frank

Yeah, I try picturing Affleck as Batman and all that I see is his smug grin.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Garner was also a great choice for Elektra. Unless you're counting her as a villain.

Zappit

Zappit

Batfleck? Yeesh.

Can anyone see Matt Damon getting picked up for a Marvel movie that will be far superior? Elysium showed he can do action...

bhamv3

bhamv3

Garner was also a great choice for Elektra. Unless you're counting her as a villain.
Really? I'm afraid I don't agree, I think she was just as bland as Affleck.[DOUBLEPOST=1377225255,1377225180][/DOUBLEPOST]
Batfleck? Yeesh.

Can anyone see Matt Damon getting picked up for a Marvel movie that will be far superior? Elysium showed he can do action...
Cast him as Robin, for the lulz.

Frank

Frank

Batfleck? Yeesh.

Matt Demon's been doing action flicks for quite a while.

Although I couldn't tell you which was which, I liked the Bourne movies.

Zappit

Zappit

Yeah, but Bourne wasn't quite as sci-fi, and Marvel is very sci-fi.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Cast him as Robin, for the lulz.
Some quick work:

"Raw-Bin!"
Raw-Bin.png

Espy

Espy

Affleck is a very talented actor, writer and director. I'm not really sure how anyone can say he's not. He's responsible for several phenomenal films, and he's got at least as good a track record if not way better than Ledger did when he was cast as the Joker. I'm fine with this. It's hard for me to picture it but, fuck, I'm no more skeptical than when Ledger was cast. I will enjoy watching people freak out though. "Oh God a guy who has won 2 oscars, has written/directed/acted in some amazing films is doing something!"
He doesn't look that weird for a Batman/Bruce Wayne type.

ben-affleck-ripped-diet-plan.jpg
images.jpeg

The main difference between Ledger and Affleck is that Ledger is ten times more talented.
Yet when he was cast as Joker everyone was like, "Oh the shitty actor who did those teen movies and the gay movie? Gaaaaawd no".
Of course NOW everyone is saying he's "so talented".

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm okay with Batfleck. My only issue is he's already played a superhero. I prefer no actor crossover when it comes to that stuff, but oh well.

As for Daredevil, I've said on multiple occasions that I like it. Specifically the Director's Cut, which really does make it a pretty good movie.

Espy

Espy

Specifically the Director's Cut, which really does make it a pretty good movie.
Really? Maybe I should watch it. I don't remember hating the movie (aside from the TERRIBLE Evenescence song at the end, but that's just life yo) but I remember feeling rather ambivalent towards it.

Also, I think the rumor a bit ago was that Affleck was in talks to direct a JLA movie so maybe this ties into that somehow? I'll tell you, they could do a hell of a lot worse. The guy is one heck of a director.

Frank

Frank

Really? Maybe I should watch it. I don't remember hating the movie (aside from the TERRIBLE Evenescence song at the end, but that's just life yo) but I remember feeling rather ambivalent towards it.

Also, I think the rumor a bit ago was that Affleck was in talks to direct a JLA movie so maybe this ties into that somehow? I'll tell you, they could do a hell of a lot worse. The guy is one heck of a director.
My main issue with Daredevil is how God awful most of the action was (especially those ridiculous wire assisted floaty jumps where they glided in the air).

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Don't get me wrong. It's still far below many other much, much better superhero movies. I just don't think it's the bottom of the barrel dreck that people make it out to be. Catwoman, Elektra, Ghost Rider (which is ironically by the same director), Steel, Supergirl, etc are all much worse movies.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Batfleck? Yeesh.

Whoa, what about the Bourne movies? What are they, chopped liver?[DOUBLEPOST=1377226742,1377226611][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm okay with Batfleck. My only issue is he's already played a superhero. I prefer no actor crossover when it comes to that stuff, but oh well.

As for Daredevil, I've said on multiple occasions that I like it. Specifically the Director's Cut, which really does make it a pretty good movie.
It's worked out well in the past. Chris Evans is a great Captain America, even if he was also a so-so Johnny Storm in a terrible Fantastic Four movie.[DOUBLEPOST=1377226900][/DOUBLEPOST]
Don't get me wrong. It's still far below many other much, much better superhero movies. I just don't think it's the bottom of the barrel dreck that people make it out to be. Catwoman, Elektra, Ghost Rider (which is ironically by the same director), Steel, Supergirl, etc are all much worse movies.

Oh god, Steel.

Espy

Espy

@Jay is either disagreeing with my comment because Canadians are still pissed about ARGO or because he's a huge Evenescence fan. I'm thinking Evenescence fan. Thats what I'm gonna go with.

fade

fade

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with Affleck being a talented actor. On a writing team, sure. He's shown some chops as a director. But as an actor? Nah. He's got one character, and even it feels a little like it's reading off cue cards.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

The problem with Ben Affleck? He suffers from something that alot of actors with certain personalities do, he's impossible to be forgotten as a character and not himself. All I ever see is Ben Affleck playing a character and never the character.

Frank

Frank

I would rather wait and see with Affleck than have them announce Christian Bale coming back. They offered him like infinity money too.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Affleck certainly has the appropriate looks for the part, now let's see if he has the chops.

--Patrick

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Affleck is a very talented actor, writer and director.
Writer and Director? Yes I give him a ton of credit. He knows his stuff.

Actor? Not really. He does great as a SUPPORTING actor, when the focus is not on him he usually does an okay job, like in Good Will Hunting, Mallrats, Shakespeare in Love, etc.

Other movies in which he is a main character, or at least close to a main character, his performances have usually been horrible. Pearl Harbor, Daredevil, Gigli, Jersey Girl, Armageddon, etc... Just ugggggg... The guy has run a pretty good amount of Razzies.

I admit though, I never did see the newer one, Argo, so it could be that when he directs himself he can pull out a better job acting, but last I checked he was not going to be directing the new Superman/Batman movie.

Heath Ledger at least proved his range in some great movies, really showing he was more then just a pretty face in Brokeback Mountain. I never met anyone that doubted his ability to act well in The Dark Knight, only that his image was too "pretty boy" to carry the role of the Joker. Affleck does not have the same confidence.

Shakey

Shakey

He did pretty good in Argo. In just about every other serious role I've seen Affleck in, it looked like he was laughing behind that stupid serious grin he has. It annoyed the hell out of me. I didn't see it in Argo, so I think he's come a long way. I'm not sure he's the Batman type, but you never know.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

You know what Marvel should do, with all this Affleck talk?

Start immediate production on a new Daredevil movie, since they own the rights again.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

You know what Marvel should do, with all this Affleck talk?

Start immediate production on a new Daredevil movie, since they own the rights again.
Starring Matt Damon?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Starring Matt Damon?
You know, hilarious as it might be, Damon's not actually that bad a pick for Matt Murdock.

bhamv3

bhamv3

You know, hilarious as it might be, Damon's not actually that bad a pick for Matt Murdock.
... actually, now that you mention it, I can totally see it.

phil

phil

How are they going to justify having Bruce Wayne move to Boston?

Krisken

Krisken

Hm. I dunno. This was going to be tough to make good just having Superman. Having Batben as well just might be too much for them.

Covar

Covar

I'd bring myself to care more if Zack Synder and David Goyer weren't still involved. Movies going to wind up like crap anyway who care's who's in it.

bhamv3

bhamv3

... actually, now that you mention it, I can totally see it.
And I actually wasn't making a pun there.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Affleck??? I'm out.

Jay

Jay

Pearl Harbor was awesome!

Also, where my wife and I's first movie. :)

Frank

Frank

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Being one of the few that liked MoS. I look forward to a Batman/Supes setup. I don't mind Affleck. At least it's not Channing Tatum.

bhamv3

bhamv3

People on my Facebook have been posting this link: Ben Affleck: I Am Not Batman.

It appears to be a real article. Took me a couple of minutes to realize what's up with it.

MindDetective

MindDetective

That's not nice!

Bowielee

Bowielee

That's not nice!
Think of it as an attention test.

Bowielee

Bowielee

As much as I don't think Affleck can pull off the role, I hope that the studios would know better than to listen to the howler monkeys involved in that petition.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

As much as I don't think Affleck can pull off the role, I hope that the studios would know better than to listen to the howler monkeys involved in that petition.
Has any online petition ever worked?

Bowielee

Bowielee

From that article, loved this line:

This petition is such a contradictory mixture of cynical and optimistic it shouldn't exist. Care Bears with ecstasy make more sense, because at least then you'd understand why they're so huggy all the time.

Covar

Covar

lol, Cracked.

Espy

Espy

From the AV Club:
Anyway, for all our delightful late-night japes, it’s important to remember that nearly every actor who has stepped into a Batman film—from Michael Keaton to George Clooney to Heath Ledger—has faced this same sort of knee-jerk ridicule, and only occasionally deserved it. Also, that Ben Affleck is an increasingly mature actor who has by now earned the benefit of the doubt that he may surprise, no matter what’s asked of him. And it's also important to remember that, ultimately, you are powerless before the machine, your voice a mere mewling in the dark that will be inevitably silenced either by acceptance or grudging acquiescence, because you know damn well you want to see what happens when Ben Affleck plays Batman.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Sources close to Affleck say he took the role for his kids as the script he was presented with is more Brave and the Bold than Dark Knight.

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, another Batman and Robin. Cause campy worked out so well for Batman in the past.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

So, another Batman and Robin. Cause campy worked out so well for Batman in the past.

It WORKS MATE!

Gryfter

Gryfter

Sources close to Affleck say he took the role for his kids as the script he was presented with is more Brave and the Bold than Dark Knight.
HAHAHAHAHA!! They think there is a script?!?! BAWAHHAAAAHAHAHAH!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I can only hope that Affleck can also teach Zach Snyder how to direct a movie during the course of production

Steve

Steve

It has been fun following the comic book websites and witnessing the outrage. One of the best: http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/op-ed-ben-affleck-batman-end-dc
Point #2 is my favorite. The author feels that Affleck is a poor choice because he reminds comic book geeks and nerds of the type of guy who beats them up. Maybe Shia LaBeouf would have been a better choice. I would assume comic book geeks and nerds would feel less threatened by him.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Maybe Shia LaBeouf would have been a better choice. I would assume comic book geeks and nerds would feel less threatened by him.
-insert several links of the outpouring of hate for Shia in Transformers and Indiana Jones-

Bowielee

Bowielee

I can only hope that Affleck can also teach Zach Snyder how to direct a movie during the course of production
I'm not sure if Gilgamesh was just doing his usual stalking, but really, Ben Affleck is a way better director than he is an actor.

Tress

Tress

It has been fun following the comic book websites and witnessing the outrage. One of the best: http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/op-ed-ben-affleck-batman-end-dc
Point #2 is my favorite. The author feels that Affleck is a poor choice because he reminds comic book geeks and nerds of the type of guy who beats them up. Maybe Shia LaBeouf would have been a better choice. I would assume comic book geeks and nerds would feel less threatened by him.
Holy shit. Get over yourself, op-ed guy.

The other hilarious part of that argument is that hardcore comic book fans are the only reason movies based on comic books are successful. Which is, quite frankly, stupid bullshit.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Holy shit. Get over yourself, op-ed guy.

The other hilarious part of that argument is that hardcore comic book fans are the only reason movies based on comic books are successful. Which is, quite frankly, stupid bullshit.
That's just plain laughable.

Frank

Frank

Old Brave and the Bold Batman to new Brave and the Bold Batman.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Old Brave and the Bold Batman to new Brave and the Bold Batman.

Is it bad that I love that scene? The whole good will hunting 2 bit.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I love this scene with Affleck in it as well:

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

A lighter Batman? I'm all for that. And just to cement that point, I'll just leave this here:

Because honestly, the super-dark, serious Batman that everyone thinks he's supposed to be has really only been around since the 80s, with The Dark Knight Returns and Year One.

Krisken

Krisken

I saw the intro to The Brave and the Bold and couldn't stand it. To each their own, I guess.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I loved BtBatB, it did a whole crap-ton of things right. I don't think I want a movie to be quite that silver age-ish, but I don't mind having a lighter tone movie, especially if it's one with Superman. I'm worried that a grim-dark Batman would end up being xenophobic, and I want a Batman who will form a friendship with Superman, not merely an uneasy alliance. There have been a lot of takes on the two, and I'm really not a fan of the Batman who views Superman primarily as a threat. I like, and want, Batman and Superman to have the kind of friendship where Clark and Bruce have lunch together with Diana.

Speaking of which, I think this is the best reply to the Batflec casting:

Covar

Covar

Batman/Superman Annual #1. "Stop Me If You've Heard This One..." It's a retelling of the first story in World's Finest that teamed up Superman and Batman. The annual is brilliant and hilarious. Highly recommended and a great example of how well you can mesh the sometimes contrasting tones of the Dark Knight and the Man of Steel.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I don't think I want a movie to be quite that silver age-ish, but I don't mind having a lighter tone movie, especially if it's one with Superman. [...] I want a Batman who will form a friendship with Superman, not merely an uneasy alliance.
FWIW, I enjoyed the silver-age (no yellow logo) stuff. It was so...Cusp of the Atomic Age romantic, with the villain brandishing a Big Red Button that would read "Doomsday Device" right on it. It was such an absolute cartoon.

Realistically, though, I see the two of them having so much in common. Most of us here see ourselves as Forumites, unlike the rest of the "normal folks" out there. We have a bond as a result of this. I see Batman and Superman forming a similar bond, as people who secretly operate above society, they have a lot in common, and I can see them forming a friendship almost as a coping mechanism to deal with the mundanity of mudane life amongst the mudanes. It's almost natural.

--Patrick

Bowielee

Bowielee

Anyone else ever notice that Super-hero comics are all about how great authoritarinaism is? Might makes right, am I right?

:trolol:

Frank

Frank

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/co...erman-matt-damon-aquaman-mark-strong-sinestro

This site claims they have the EXCLUSIVE that Bryan Cranston is Luthor. This site also says that Affleck has a 13 appearance contract and a bunch of other on the nose crap that seems to be.....not trustworthy. When Variety reports this, you know it's real. When some random website no one's heard of does, clickbait.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I saw the same thing. It definitely sounds iffy.

Espy

Espy

Yeah, as much as I would kill for Cranston to get that kind of role, I'll believe it when it happens.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

A lighter Batman? I'm all for that. And just to cement that point, I'll just leave this here:

Because honestly, the super-dark, serious Batman that everyone thinks he's supposed to be has really only been around since the 80s, with The Dark Knight Returns and Year One.
Campy Batman was only around from 1942'ish to 1969. Actually when Batman was on TV the comic had already turned dark.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Campy Batman was only around from 1942'ish to 1969. Actually when Batman was on TV the comic had already turned dark.
Not to mention it started kinda dark to begin with. Original Batman was kind of a fucking monster at times.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Not to mention it started kinda dark to begin with. Original Batman was kind of a fucking monster at times.
Right, one of his first comics he machine gunned a car from the Batplane.[DOUBLEPOST=1377537665,1377537626][/DOUBLEPOST]But he knew he would not kill the driver because the driver was a vampire.

Covar

Covar

He was also a Shadow ripoff.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

He was also a Shadow ripoff.
...and Doc Sampson, Sherlock Holmes and Zorro.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

...and Doc Sampson, Sherlock Holmes and Zorro.
I would say inspired or influenced, but I don't think rip-off is accurate at all.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I think we were being pretty tongue in cheek about it...

Covar

Covar

I think we were being pretty tongue in cheek about it...
largely.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Master Cranston Wayne, some people to see you.

--Patrick

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Still don't see the resemblance.

:troll:

Frank

Frank

Patton Oswalt is an ok guy:

bhamv3

bhamv3

The negative reaction to Affleck's casting is reaching mindboggling levels. I'm skeptical about Affleck being Batman, but I'm not going to write and sign a petition for it. If it really is that bad, worse comes to worst, I'll just not see this film.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

The negative reaction to Affleck's casting is reaching mindboggling levels. I'm skeptical about Affleck being Batman, but I'm not going to write and sign a petition for it. If it really is that bad, worse comes to worst, I'll just not see this film.
That's exactly what I did for the latest Spider-Man film and the Wolverine: Origins films.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

All the pressure's off Ben now thanks to Miley. The internet has a new shiny to freak out about.

Bubble181

Bubble181

All the pressure's off Ben now thanks to Miley. The internet has a new shiny to freak out about.
Oh? WHat's she up to? Not reading the gossip pages of tabloids really limits my exposure to....well, most of this Hollywood drama crap I don't care about :p

bhamv3

bhamv3

Oh? WHat's she up to? Not reading the gossip pages of tabloids really limits my exposure to....well, most of this Hollywood drama crap I don't care about :p
She gave a really lewd performance at some award show or something. I saw the video of it, and it was more awkward and cringe-inducing than sexy. And I say this as a guy who is capable of finding the sexy in almost anything.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Wow, Miley Cyrus actually creeped you out?

Bhamv, do you know how hard you would have laughed five years ago if someone would have told you that?

bhamv3

bhamv3

Wow, Miley Cyrus actually creeped you out?

Bhamv, do you know how hard you would have laughed five years ago if someone would have told you that?
I'm just as amazed as you are!

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Maybe I am just getting old, but even with the greatest Marvel film to date (Iron Man, IMHO), it's still just a flippin comic-book movie. A predictable, paint-by-numbers plot with safe directing and writing with a talented lead. It's fun and entertaining. It's not Art. It's not timeless.

With the way films are going nowadays I don't think that I am going to be wowed more than once every two years or so. Right now I am more impressed by stuff on "t.v." than I am with anything on the big screen.

So, if they make a Ben Affleck Batman movie and it sucks terribly? Eh, they'll just make another one in a couple of years anyway...

Frank

Frank

Another major website quoting a nobody website that has yet to be proven, even Rolling Stone is getting in on this clickbait fest and no one has any sort of proof other than Cosmicbooknews.com said it!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

justin-bieber-robin-audition-for-superman-vs-batman.jpg

Justin Bieber as Robin? Hopefully the story will based on Death in the Family.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'll believe it when I see it.

And then I won't see the movie.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Leaked storyboard from the movie:

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

that would be the best trolling of comic book fans ever, especially if it turned out he was a good actor

Shawn

Shawn

View attachment 11766

Bieber will play himself and will be killed by the Joker during a concert at the beginning of the film. It will be the first time that Batman approves.

blotsfan

blotsfan

that would be the best trolling of comic book fans ever, especially if it turned out he was a good actor
I watched an episode of CSI he guest-starred on. He isn't.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I watched an episode of CSI he guest-starred on. He isn't.
Seeing him get shot to death was one of the greatest things I've ever seen. Even more than seeing my first naked female.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Seeing him get shot to death was one of the greatest things I've ever seen. Even more than seeing my first naked female.
Just imagine if she had a tattoo of Beiber getting shot.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Just imagine if she had a tattoo of Beiber getting shot.

bhamv3

bhamv3

View attachment 11766

Even if it was true, it won't be any more. Leaking stuff like that online is a one-way street to being blacklisted.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Even if it was true, it won't be any more. Leaking stuff like that online is a one-way street to being blacklisted.
Studios don't tear up contracts just because the internet finds out.

Shawn

Shawn

I have a feeling that Bieber posted it to spark an uproar, in response to everyone going ape-shit over Afleck.

Espy

Espy

Considering he posted something earlier about a shoot for "Funny or Die" I wouldn't worry about that being real.

Or go for it, I mean looks legit amiriteguys?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Or go for it, I mean looks legit amiriteguys?
About as legit as the shot of Flash Thompson Venom from the upcoming Spider-Man movie.*

*actually a photoshop of the Robocop remake

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Gal Gadot has been cast as Wonder Woman for the upcoming Superman vs. Batman film.

I don't honestly care much but thought I'd share it with you guys. She seems way too petite for the role, even if she puts on muscle. Wonder Woman should have that Amazonian look, like being taller than Superman in Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier.

Covar

Covar

I'm still trying to give a shit about anything related to this movie. Zack Snyder and David Goyer still involved? Yup, continuing to not give a shit.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Gal Gadot has been cast as Wonder Woman for the upcoming Superman vs. Batman film.

I don't honestly care much but thought I'd share it with you guys. She seems way too petite for the role, even if she puts on muscle. Wonder Woman should have that Amazonian look, like being taller than Superman in Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier.
Gwendoline Christie (of Game of Thrones fame) I think would have really fit the role. She's 6'3" and has already shown her ability to be imposing.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Man of Steel is interesting. It split everyone almost completely 50/50 not only on whether it was good or not, but whether Superman should kill or not. And even though I liked it when I finally saw it, the more I think about it, the less I like it. My ideal Superman still doesn't kill nor do I think he ever should. Not to mention that the movie as a whole is dour, depressive, colour-washed, and bleak no matter what both of his father figures are telling him and us.

Honestly, you know what scene bothered me almost as much as the neck-snapping? The trucker scene. My Superman/Clark would never be such a total, petty bully. If it had ended with him turning the other cheek and walking out, then great. But the stuff with the truck was really out of character both for my ideal Superman and honestly, the Superman they were trying to portray in the movie.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I just recently watched Man of Steel, and not only was I surprised that I liked it, but I'm ok with the kill as well. But this comes with a mighty disclaimer. I'm ok with the kill -IF- Snyder and the writers are good enough to incorporate that into his origin and use that as a basis of why he doesn't kill. That tragedy should strengthen his moral core, and make him strive to be better.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, I can't argue with that point, at the very least. Like when he killed the three Kryptonian criminals in the comics in the late 80s, it should be something he struggles to come to terms with.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah, I can't argue with that point, at the very least. Like when he killed the three Kryptonian criminals in the comics in the late 80s, it should be something he struggles to come to terms with.
Didn't they make a whole thing about that? A plotline where Superman kills Mr. Mxyzptlk?

Yup.

--Patrick

Tress

Tress

I'm ok with the kill -IF- Snyder and the writers are good enough to incorporate that into his origin and use that as a basis of why he doesn't kill. That tragedy should strengthen his moral core, and make him strive to be better.
A valid point, but I have ZERO faith that they will do that. Instead, it'll just be Supes with a "Yeah, I kill guys when I have to, no biggie..." attitude.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

WONDER WOMAN!!!

Gryfter

Gryfter

So now they are shoehorning Wonder Woman into this movie... seems like character bloat to me. Will they never learn.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I just want to know why Wonder Woman is super thin.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I just want to know why Wonder Woman is super thin.
Because Hollywood.

Frank

Frank

In all seriousness, who would you guys get to play Wonder Woman?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

She has the right look, I don't know if she can act.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So now they are shoehorning Wonder Woman into this movie... seems like character bloat to me. Will they never learn.
The Flash is apparently going to make an appearance as well.

Frank

Frank

DC doesn't seem to get you gotta slow build. You can't just go Iron Man -> Avengers.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

DC doesn't seem to get you gotta slow build. You can't just go Iron Man -> Avengers.
The problem really seems to be that they think that they have to rush up and get to Marvel's level, but the problem is that Marvel has already beaten them in that race for a while.

Honestly, they should commit to doing a similar build-up method like Marvel or, as I've read from some opinions online, starts with Justice League and go from there. The argument for that second option that some people have made is that the Justice League members are in a way more iconic (not necessarily better than Marvel's characters, but plenty of folks may know the basic Justice Leaguers while not as many may have known of the Avengers team members prior to the films) and thus you could jump into a story of them as a group faster.

Bellygrub

Bellygrub

Jamie Alexander (Sif from Thor)

On another note: I watch Man of Steel last weekend and I really disliked it. Everything about the movie just rubbed me the wrong way, from the rushed/forced introduction to Lois to Pa Kents everything.

The only moment that felt like Superman was at the end when he spoke with the military guy about trying to spy on him with a drone.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Jamie Alexander (Sif from Thor)
Most definitely a huge yes from me on that nomination.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

If Gina Carano could prove she had the poise and presence (and acting chops) necessary, I agree with @sixpackshaker, she'd be perfect. The level of ass-kicking she manages to portray on screen is unreal (though expected, for obvious reasons).

Wonder Woman is a tough role, really. You need someone gorgeous, and who has the presence to overshadow everyone in the room just by walking into it, and who can be regal and commanding with dignity...but is also a brawler and a warrior and a general and hell on wheels in battle. That actually sounds really hard when you think about it.

If we're accepting race-blind casting with a little time-travel thrown in, Gina Torres from her Firefly days.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Gina Torres or Erica Cerra would both be much better choices.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

If she didn't have the look of, well, a mean Russian, Olga Kurkulina's got the perfect frame, stature and body for Wonder Woman:

You know, if they'd casted someone with that kind of body, but with the face expected of Wonder Woman, Olga could've played an AWESOME villain for her to take on. Hell, she still could, I suppose. Except she's actually built like an Amazon. That was my first thought when I saw her in Kick-Ass 2.

Kovac

Kovac

I watched Man of Steel a few days ago and I found that I enjoyed the first act of the movie with Russell Crowe as Jor-El much more than I expected and the scenes with Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent much less.

The casting of Jonathan Kent was pretty much fine, but how it was written was terrible."maybe" he should have let a class full of children die to protect his identity? Are the writers insane?
What kind of person would Clark Kent grow up to be if this is the type of example set by his father?

And the relationship between the two is so poorly developed that his death had little to no impact for me. Of course it didn't help that the sacrifice of Jonathan Kent was utterly ridiculous.
The guy dies for his dog
With Superman RIGHT THERE.
I think the situation could have been easily managed with no loss of secrets.

So while the movie had a lot going for it, the major faults and plot holes really reduced my enjoyment of it.

KCWM

KCWM

I watched Man of Steel a few days ago and I found that I enjoyed the first act of the movie with Russell Crowe as Jor-El much more than I expected and the scenes with Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent much less.

The casting of Jonathan Kent was pretty much fine, but how it was written was terrible."maybe" he should have let a class full of children die to protect his identity? Are the writers insane?
What kind of person would Clark Kent grow up to be if this is the type of example set by his father?

And the relationship between the two is so poorly developed that his death had little to no impact for me. Of course it didn't help that the sacrifice of Jonathan Kent was utterly ridiculous.
The guy dies for his dog
With Superman RIGHT THERE.
I think the situation could have been easily managed with no loss of secrets.

So while the movie had a lot going for it, the major faults and plot holes really reduced my enjoyment of it.
Not to start a debate that I'm sure is tired by now, but Pa Kent's reaction of "maybe..." was perfect for me. It grounded the character a little closer to reality for me as a movie watcher...a real struggle that conflicts with his morals. Different strokes and all of that.

Espy

Espy

I think people want Superman to act like THEY want Superman to act all the time, whether he's 8 years old or he's a 22 year old struggling with figuring out how he fits in the world.

I think, much to my surprise, that Snyder and Goyer handled the idea that Superman would struggle with (and this is key) becoming Superman and being a part of the world. I can accept that people don't like that and that they want him to just be Christopher Reeves Superman from the time he was old enough to talk and be perfect and all smiles and corny jokes, but I think this is a far more interesting take. Was it handled perfectly? No. Snyder was pretty heavy fisted with it, but thats his problem with everything.

While I felt like they didn't do a great job of building up Jonathon and Clarks relationship enough I thought his dad's reactions were brilliant. Maybe it's because I'm a father now but that shit there made me tear up.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I think people want Superman to act like THEY want Superman to act all the time, whether he's 8 years old or he's a 22 year old struggling with figuring out how he fits in the world.

I think, much to my surprise, that Snyder and Goyer handled the idea that Superman would struggle with (and this is key) becoming Superman and being a part of the world. I can accept that people don't like that and that they want him to just be Christopher Reeves Superman from the time he was old enough to talk and be perfect and all smiles and corny jokes, but I think this is a far more interesting take. Was it handled perfectly? No. Snyder was pretty heavy fisted with it, but thats his problem with everything.

While I felt like they didn't do a great job of building up Jonathon and Clarks relationship enough I thought his dad's reactions were brilliant. Maybe it's because I'm a father now but that shit there made me tear up.
Yeah, it's been stated before, in long depth and clarity (by Nick) why this is wrong and that's not the only reason people were upset with this -version- of Superman. I disliked the movie ALOT the first watch through, disliked it even MORE the second.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I know this technically doesn't fit into Warner Bros.'s plans for a DC Movie Universe, but I thought it might be worth noting considering it is of Vertigo: Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be directing and starring in an adaptation of Sandman.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=112546

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I know this technically doesn't fit into Warner Bros.'s plans for a DC Movie Universe, but I thought it might be worth noting considering it is of Vertigo: Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be directing and starring in an adaptation of Sandman.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=112546
Damn, Sandman adaptation? That sounds... difficult.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I love Joseph Gordon-Lovett, but that's gonna be a train-wreck of a movie.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I love Joseph Gordon-Lovett, but that's gonna be a train-wreck of a movie.
Yeah, I really can't foresee how that could possibly be made into a movie without severely butchering it, even if they only base it on Preludes and Nocturnes.

Now, if Guillermo del Toro wanted to do an HBO series based on Sandman, well... I'd be totally down for that.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I like Levitt and think he could do well in the role of Morpheus.

I just wish WB would maybe try other screenwriters that aren't David Goyer. Because his scripts are terrible most times.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I like Levitt and think he could do well in the role of Morpheus.

I just wish WB would maybe try other screenwriters that aren't David Goyer. Because his scripts are terrible most times.
Are you claiming that the man that wrote and directed Blade Trinity is anything less than a cinema treasure?

Frank

Frank

Goyer sucks. Goyer sucks really bad. But Goyer isn't Kurtzman/Orci. He's the lesser of those two evils.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Are you claiming that the man that wrote and directed Blade Trinity is anything less than a cinema treasure?
Wait, you mean it's not?!

Oh god, my whole life is a lie.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Now, if Guillermo del Toro wanted to do an HBO series based on Sandman, well... I'd be totally down for that.
I would watch the shit out of this.

The shit, sir.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Hey, it takes a lot of people to make a shitty movie...

Covar

Covar

Yeah, I really can't foresee how that could possibly be made into a movie without severely butchering it, even if they only base it on Preludes and Nocturnes.

Gaiman has creative control over the property, and has killed movie attempts before, so that's something. If they try and just adapt the/a story I agree it will probably be bad, but if they would just let Gaiman write a story/screenplay for the movie it would have a much better chance.

I'll never understand why they want David Goyer writing the screenplay, instead of the incredibly talented writer who created the work and has written for multiple mediums with success.

fade

fade

Morpheus looks extraordinarily British. On looks alone he's a tough sell.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I always thought Alan Rickman would be a good candidate to play Dream.

Frank

Frank

Apparently the writer of ARGO has been hired to make Goyer's Batman Superman script not awful.

Covar

Covar

So he's starting from scratch, and ignoring Man of Steel?

Espy

Espy

Apparently the writer of ARGO has been hired to make Goyer's Batman Superman script not awful.
This is fantastic news.

Frank

Frank

I was thinking about the Wonder Woman thing and I saw this picture of Man of Steel actress Antje Traue:

It's too bad she was wasted on Man of Steel, she's very Wonder Woman.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

crush.jpg

This is who should play Wonder Woman, but alas it will never happen. Stupid movie producers.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I was thinking about the Wonder Woman thing and I saw this picture of Man of Steel actress Antje Traue:

It's too bad she was wasted on Man of Steel, she's very Wonder Woman.
She was pretty imposing in Man of Steel, so I agree.

figmentPez

figmentPez

If these rumors are true, then it doesn't matter to me who plays Wonder Woman in the film, the part is ruined anyway.

"With all that said, I’d bet a year’s pay – in MONOPOLY money, of course – that the “Amazons” of this cinematic DCU will be descendants of those “ancient Kryptonians” who attempted to set up Kryptonian outposts throughout spacedom thousands and thousands of years ago. Furthermore, I say that Wonder Woman will be powered-down, if you will, relative to Superman because these Amazons have evolved and adapted to living on Earth for hundreds of centuries."

Not sure how much stock to put in this speculation, but... Wrong on two counts. Making Wonder Woman Kryptonian is bad enough, but not making her power levels on par with Superman would completely sour me on the character.

EDIT: Wait, a Kryptonian female whose colony wasn't part of the destruction of Krypton, and who is weaker than Superman. That sounds familiar... Oh, right. SUPERGIRL. Good grief, if that's the story you wanted, then why not just use Supergirl?

Bubble181

Bubble181

If these rumors are true, then it doesn't matter to me who plays Wonder Woman in the film, the part is ruined anyway.

"With all that said, I’d bet a year’s pay – in MONOPOLY money, of course – that the “Amazons” of this cinematic DCU will be descendants of those “ancient Kryptonians” who attempted to set up Kryptonian outposts throughout spacedom thousands and thousands of years ago. Furthermore, I say that Wonder Woman will be powered-down, if you will, relative to Superman because these Amazons have evolved and adapted to living on Earth for hundreds of centuries."

Not sure how much stock to put in this speculation, but... Wrong on two counts. Making Wonder Woman Kryptonian is bad enough, but not making her power levels on par with Superman would completely sour me on the character.

EDIT: Wait, a Kryptonian female whose colony wasn't part of the destruction of Krypton, and who is weaker than Superman. That sounds familiar... Oh, right. SUPERGIRL. Good grief, if that's the story you wanted, then why not just use Supergirl?
If they "power down" Wonder Woman significantly, it'll just give rise to claims that, once again, comicdom/DC/"those superhero nerds"/... are mysoginistic and so forth. There's no sensible reason why she should be any weaker than Supes besides "it's a woman, she can't be as strong!" - someithng comics are riddled with anyway.

And yeah...If you're goign to use Supergirl's backstory, make a Supergirl movie.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I...actually don't mind altering the backstory to incorporate Kryptonian mythology, as long as it began long enough ago to embrace greek mythology as well.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I...actually don't mind altering the backstory to incorporate Kryptonian mythology, as long as it began long enough ago to embrace greek mythology as well.
Actually, I'm far more bothered by her being made weaker than Superman. That's the part that really gets to me.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Actually, I'm far more bothered by her being made weaker than Superman. That's the part that really gets to me.
Yeah, I agree. That is more troublesome.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

To be fair, this is nothing but 100% speculation. It's a single guy claiming he thinks this is what will happen.

Man of Steel showed that they have no problem with a female character every bit as strong as Superman. Superman spent half the movie getting the ever loving shit kicked out of him by one.

Celt Z

Celt Z

There's a lot of scrutiny to this because it's the first time ever one of the most icon characters in comicdom/modern myth is being portrayed in a live-action theatrical release. We've been promised a WW movie for decades and all we get told is adapting her story is "problematic", yet there has been how many Superman and Batman movies of varying quality? Who knows when we'll ever get to see her on screen again, and Hollywood doesn't exactly have a great track record for treating their heroines as equals. (It's slowly getting better, but there's a lot of ground to be made up.) These are (arguably) the three most famous names in comics and most fans don't want to see Diana diluted because she has the distinction of "woman" in her title.

I'm less worried about Batfleck and more concerned that Zack Snyder's concept of "girl power" is Sucker Punch. :facepalm:

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

There's a lot of scrutiny to this because it's the first time ever one of the most icon characters in comicdom/modern myth is being portrayed in a live-action theatrical release. We've been promised a WW movie for decades and all we get told is adapting her story is "problematic", yet there has been how many Superman and Batman movies of varying quality? Who knows when we'll ever get to see her on screen again, and Hollywood doesn't exactly have a great track record for treating their heroines as equals. (It's slowly getting better, but there's a lot of ground to be made up.) These are (arguably) the three most famous names in comics and most fans don't want to see Diana diluted because she has the distinction of "woman" in her title.

I'm less worried about Batfleck and more concerned that Zack Snyder's concept of "girl power" is Sucker Punch. :facepalm:
Oh, I have no doubt that it will suck and be done in the worst way possible, I just think it's too early yet to claim which worse way will happen.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

If they remove the mythical aspect of Wonder Woman, then they might as well remove the aspect of Batman where his parents are dead. It's that important to the core aspect of the character.

Espy

Espy

Shut up!!!!!11 the movie is ruined! End of story!

bhamv3

bhamv3

What if Wonder Woman starts out weaker than Superman, possibly due to no one training her or even telling her about her powers, but at the end of the movie she's on par with Supes? The movie could chart her growth, and possibly contrasting it against Clark's development, to show the differences between the characters.

Celt Z

Celt Z

What if Wonder Woman starts out weaker than Superman, possibly due to no one training her or even telling her about her powers, but at the end of the movie she's on par with Supes? The movie could chart her growth, and possibly contrasting it against Clark's development, to show the differences between the characters.
That would be a nice idea, except I believe she's only supposed to have a cameo, so I doubt their going to get her that much backstory.

Bowielee

Bowielee

DC really needs to stop all this bullcrap and do exactly what Marvel has done. They need to embrace their characters for exactly what they are, not keep trying to "Nolan-ize" everyone. Unfortunately, it seems like they think that everything that works for Batman will work for the entire DCU, and I mean this for the whole DCU, not just the movies. Dear DC Comics/Warner Brothers: "Quit trying to make all your characters Batman." Seriously, I could write an entire essay on how Batman is destroying the DC comics brand. DC comics are even more cartoonish and ridiculous than the Marvel universe and they need to just take that and run with it. They need to just go insane and do something out of left field, like a Plastic Man movie, or something that could be fun and a little serious, like the new Blue Beetle. And if they really WANT to do grimdark, they have an entire staple of Vertigo characters to choose from.

As for Wonder Woman, I wish they would just not bother having her at all if they're going to just make her some throwaway character. I honestly don't understand why they find it so hard to adapt Wonder Woman. It's been successfully done before. I also find it lame that in today's day and age it is a very real possibility that one of the reasons is that studio execs still think that a woman can't pull off being a strong lead in a traditionally male field. It would be even sadder if that's actually the case, but I'm pretty sure that audiences, with a few exceptions, are fine with strong female protagonists nowadays.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The daughter of a tribe of warriors, not trained?

Just how much are we going to mess up the Wonder Woman character? I could deal with her tribe being genetically altered offshoots of Krypton, I could. If they established that they are the Amazons of legend, and really have been here on Earth, and work them into the Greek mythos. That I could deal with. I can't deal with Wonder Woman not being the daughter of the queen of the Amazons, not being a trained warrior who is none-the-less a compassionate, caring the the embodiment of the spirit of peace.

bhamv3

bhamv3

The daughter of a tribe of warriors, not trained?

Just how much are we going to mess up the Wonder Woman character? I could deal with her tribe being genetically altered offshoots of Krypton, I could. If they established that they are the Amazons of legend, and really have been here on Earth, and work them into the Greek mythos. That I could deal with. I can't deal with Wonder Woman not being the daughter of the queen of the Amazons, not being a trained warrior who is none-the-less a compassionate, caring the the embodiment of the spirit of peace.
True, true. My idea would fit Supergirl more.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

DC really needs to stop all this bullcrap and do exactly what Marvel has done. They need to embrace their characters for exactly what they are, not keep trying to "Nolan-ize" everyone. Unfortunately, it seems like they think that everything that works for Batman will work for the entire DCU, and I mean this for the whole DCU, not just the movies. Dear DC Comics/Warner Brothers: "Quit trying to make all your characters Batman."
This quote reminded me so much of the beginning of the Man of Steel NC review.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

DC really needs to stop all this bullcrap and do exactly what Marvel has done. They need to embrace their characters for exactly what they are, not keep trying to "Nolan-ize" everyone. Unfortunately, it seems like they think that everything that works for Batman will work for the entire DCU, and I mean this for the whole DCU, not just the movies. Dear DC Comics/Warner Brothers: "Quit trying to make all your characters Batman." Seriously, I could write an entire essay on how Batman is destroying the DC comics brand. DC comics are even more cartoonish and ridiculous than the Marvel universe and they need to just take that and run with it. They need to just go insane and do something out of left field, like a Plastic Man movie, or something that could be fun and a little serious, like the new Blue Beetle. And if they really WANT to do grimdark, they have an entire staple of Vertigo characters to choose from.
I say this EVERY. TIME. we talk about this kind of thing here: They need to do a family friendly Power of Shazam movie. I don't understand why this hasn't happened yet... it's got the kid stuff for kids, the depressing stuff for adults, AND it's got a huge fan base from the 50's and 60's who remember the character fondly. It'd be the perfect counter to the Avengers: a movie about a kid, told from the kid's perspective, dealing with kid issues WHILE protecting his home town.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This quote reminded me so much of the beginning of the Man of Steel NC review.

That review was gold.

"It's like Dragonball Z, except all the shitty stuff is cut out!"

Bowielee

Bowielee

That review was gold.

"It's like Dragonball Z, except all the shitty stuff is cut out!"
"Well, not Dagonball Z shitty stuff, but new shitty stuff"

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

This is a bit different than the topic, but some might find it interesting. Apparently, screenwriter Max Landis was approached by DC with doing a weekly series rebooting the Death and Return of Superman. While his schedule and internal comflicts at DC prevented it from happening, here's his pitch on how he would approach the Death and Return of Superman.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

And now the movie has been pushed back a year and will premiere in May 2016 against Marvel Phase 3....

Bowielee

Bowielee

And now the movie has been pushed back a year and will premiere in May 2016 against Marvel Phase 3....
It stands no chance. How many times is DC going to kill the Superman and Batman franchises. I don't understand how their animated universe can be so good and their live action stuff can be so bad. I think it's largely because DC themselves aren't exerting the same amount of creative control as Marvel is. Even though WB is the parent company for DC, if the actual comic folks aren't involved in the process, it's pretty much equivalent to the Sony movies for Marvel.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That's exactly it. The executives at WB aren't willing to let superheroes be superheroes. The only reason they're able to get away with Batman is because Batman is basically just a James Bond or Jason Bourne movie but with a nutcase in a bat-suit. Anything outside of that and they just don't seem to understand how it works.

I think the biggest problem is producer Jon Peters, who we've seen Kevin Smith give his person take on in his Superman rant. The guy is a complete nutcase who doesn't understand the comic book or especially superhero medium AT ALL. And yet you'll see his name on all the superhero projects.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Rumor is that Affleck got injured, delaying filming.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This is a bit different than the topic, but some might find it interesting. Apparently, screenwriter Max Landis was approached by DC with doing a weekly series rebooting the Death and Return of Superman. While his schedule and internal comflicts at DC prevented it from happening, here's his pitch on how he would approach the Death and Return of Superman.

I like some of his ideas, like the Doomsday incident being a shaky coming together moment for the Justice League, and the Batman training Superman thing mirrors some of my concerns about how Superman never seems to know how to fight. I'm not sure I like some of the reinvention of Superman history--obviously in a standalone comic series, that's fine, but my issue with some of it is that the "a-ha!" moments are only so because we're familiar with those characters outside of that standalone story. Taken by itself, they just seem like random character appearances without internal context.[DOUBLEPOST=1390022792,1390022737][/DOUBLEPOST]
It stands no chance.
It'll probably do fine. People can see more than one movie in a month and often do.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I like some of his ideas, like the Doomsday incident being a shaky coming together moment for the Justice League, and the Batman training Superman thing mirrors some of my concerns about how Superman never seems to know how to fight. I'm not sure I like some of the reinvention of Superman history--obviously in a standalone comic series, that's fine, but my issue with some of it is that the "a-ha!" moments are only so because we're familiar with those characters outside of that standalone story. Taken by itself, they just seem like random character appearances without internal context.[DOUBLEPOST=1390022792,1390022737][/DOUBLEPOST]

It'll probably do fine. People can see more than one movie in a month and often do.
FYI, Superman is proficient in Boxing (trained by Wildcat, as are 90% of the Justice League), and two seperate Kryptonian martial arts (one physical, the other psychic).

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

FYI, Superman is proficient in Boxing (trained by Wildcat, as are 90% of the Justice League), and two seperate Kryptonian martial arts (one physical, the other psychic).
Didn't know that. My experience with Superman is mainly the DCAU + the first two Christopher Reeves movies, so I only know what I do about the comics from the internet.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Plus, he spent several years world-travelling and self-assessing. I've always figured that included learning how to fight, just in case. I imagine he'd see the benefits of learning certain principles that various fighting schools would teach.

Espy

Espy

Meh, delays are probably a good thing, 2015 sounded rushed. If rumors of filming some kind of JlA movie at the same time bear out any truth that would make this make even more sense.

evilmike

evilmike

There has also been some rumors that Ben Affleck may not have had as firm a grasp on his role as everyone thought...

Bubble181

Bubble181

Plus, he spent several years world-travelling and self-assessing. I've always figured that included learning how to fight, just in case. I imagine he'd see the benefits of learning certain principles that various fighting schools would teach.
Given the darker/more serious tone of the newer Superman, I can see how it would make sense to lear martial arts to disable people effectively and close up, to avoid collateral damage and such.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

People always questioning how the man shaves, how the man fights, I wanna know who was his acting coach? In the comics Superman and Clark Kent are seen as two VERY different people, Superman a stalwart calculating god and Clark Kent the bumbling every man with a southern drawal. Did he take night classes, did he learn from the JSA, can he recite Shakespeare, where'd he learn his chops?

PatrThom

PatrThom

50's television.

--Patrick

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

50's television.

--Patrick
Elaborate.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

" Leaked " information regarding the movie.
  • There will be two villains, Lex Luthor and Metallo
  • After Metropolis’ destruction in Man of Steel, Batman forms a coalition to stop Superman from wrecking another city
  • Aquaman is in it, but not called Aquaman. He’s there because the world engine in the ocean did something to the fish
  • Wonder Woman poses as a Wayne Enterprises investor to retrieve an item that belongs to her people. Just as a separate note, Batman-News.com is reporting that Gal Gadot has signed on to play the Amazon princess in three films.
  • Lex Luthor is in the shadows a lot, a manipulator. Not much face time with Superman.
  • Robin betrayed Batman at some point, leading to a falling out between them
  • The Batcave was super cool looking, and the mobile looked similar to [Tim] Burton’s
  • Lois is investigating Lex.
  • Metallo “kills” Clark
  • The Daily Planet is purchased by Lex Luthor for PR purposes
  • At the end Superman is living in exile (hmm, sounds like Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight), and the Justice League is an government approved superhero team.

Whole lot of meh, except for the Batcave reference.

As to Superman learning martial arts, I strongly doubt he would ever try to get any significant training. Instead of learning the techniques he would spend most of his effort concentrating on not revealing his powers to his trainers or accidentally killing them. He's spent his whole life not exposing his powers, which would lead you to believe he avoids situations where they would be easily noticed. But in the same vein it also brings to mind Yoshi's question, how does he ever convincingly act like Clark Kent? He spends his time avoiding people so as not to injure them accidentally, so how exactly does he ever develop people skills? By rights he should be more of a loner than Batman.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

• After Metropolis’ destruction in Man of Steel, Batman forms a coalition to stop Superman from wrecking another city
  • Aquaman is in it, but not called Aquaman. He’s there because the world engine in the ocean did something to the fish
  • Wonder Woman poses as a Wayne Enterprises investor to retrieve an item that belongs to her people. Just as a separate note, Batman-News.com is reporting that Gal Gadot has signed on to play the Amazon princess in three films.
  • Lex Luthor is in the shadows a lot, a manipulator. Not much face time with Superman.
  • The Batcave was super cool looking, and the mobile looked similar to [Tim] Burton’s
  • Metallo “kills” Clark
  • At the end Superman is living in exile (hmm, sounds like Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight), and the Justice League is an government approved superhero team.
Wow.

That all just sounds really stupid and that they do have not clue of what they're doing while they try to play catch-up to Marvel.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I didn't have much hope for the movie after my lessening enjoyment of Man of Steel the more I thought about it. If this is the direction we're expected to see for future DC superhero flicks, I can't say I'll be that excited.

Gryfter

Gryfter

• Metallo “kills” Clark

Whole lot of meh, except for the Batcave reference.

As to Superman learning martial arts, I strongly doubt he would ever try to get any significant training. Instead of learning the techniques he would spend most of his effort concentrating on not revealing his powers to his trainers or accidentally killing them. He's spent his whole life not exposing his powers, which would lead you to believe he avoids situations where they would be easily noticed. But in the same vein it also brings to mind Yoshi's question, how does he ever convincingly act like Clark Kent? He spends his time avoiding people so as not to injure them accidentally, so how exactly does he ever develop people skills? By rights he should be more of a loner than Batman.
That's a whole lot of MEH.

Espy

Espy

Honestly the rumors for this movie seem to be flying so fast it's insane. Every day there seems to be a new batch, leaving me to think that 99% of them are total bullshit.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Honestly the rumors for this movie seem to be flying so fast it's insane. Every day there seems to be a new batch, leaving me to think that 99% of them are total bullshit.
At any point now, I expect WB to just say, "FUCK IT!" and make it a superhero version of Brokeback Mountain.

Although technically, I suppose we already have that. Kind of. Sort of.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

At any point now, I expect WB to just say, "FUCK IT!" and make it a superhero version of Brokeback Mountain.

Although technically, I suppose we already have that. Kind of. Sort of.

You know, if it involved Alan Scott, I'd watch that.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I'd like to see Superhero Brokeback. :unibrow:
(No Batman/Bane pics, you wise asses.)

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

No pics, you say? You didn't say anything about video!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Celt Z

Celt Z

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

When I first saw that picture of Bats and Bane (it was released as a promo pic before the movie came out), my immediate thought was that scene between Bruce and Selina in Batman Returns.

"You know, mistletoe can be deadly if you eat it."
"But a kiss can be deadlier..."
"Oh god...do we have to start fighting now?"

Bowielee

Bowielee

=
"You know, mistletoe can be deadly if you eat it."
"But a kiss can be deadlier..."
"Oh god...do we have to start fighting now?"
That's actually one of my favorite scenes in ANY of the Batman movies.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That's actually one of my favorite scenes in ANY of the Batman movies.
The older Bat-flicks are surprisingly quotable. I used to have two monologues nearly memorized: Penguin's speech to Max when he kidnaps him in Batman Returns and Two-Face's monologue at the start of Batman Forever.

Bowielee

Bowielee

That scene could have been so cheesily terrible, but I think that Michelle Pfeiffer sold it as sincere and it worked really well.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Speaking of Justice League stuff, anyone see that new direct-to-dvd animated movie Justice League: War?

Honestly, I liked it, but the Superman in it was the worst I have seen in any form by this point.

When they first meet, he toys with Batman/Green Lantern like they are children, all with this cocky smirk. While Green Lantern has a shield up to protect him and Batman a bit later in the scene, Superman smacks them around like a beach ball, destroying half the city. It was like Man of Steel only GL/Batman were not technically even fighting back. Worst yet, even after they started working together, he abandoned Batman and Green Lantern while they were all surrounded by Parademons.

Really, I think the biggest issue I had with him was the huge cocky attitude they gave him. It was like he knew he was hot shit and he didn't give a damn about anyone else because of it. Every word out of his mouth was either a snide challenge to attack him, talking down to others for being weaker, hitting on wonder woman because she is the only one that in strong enough to handle his super-dick (with the awesome pickup line of "your strong" followed by another cocky smirk), and recklessly not giving a crap about life (He chokes Batman pretty hard while questioning him, kills Parademons like it's going out of style, and later on chokes a guy to death, though to be fair he was going through his own Parademon transformation at the time.

The biggest redeeming factors that made me enjoy it was I liked how they presented wonder woman (well minus the superman love triangle that makes her look like a bitch) and flash, with both putting up a huge fight versus Darksied even without Superman around, and that they made it Cyborg's origin story, and I really like Cyborg.

Either way, as long as they don't make Superman like the one in this cartoon movie, I honestly think I will be good with it.

Frank

Frank

Nick and I talked about it in the movie thread. Neither of us cared for it.

Espy

Espy

That sounds like a horrible movie.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

That sounds like a horrible movie.
It's not bad as a popcorn comic flick, but yes, it's not the best movie they have done. Superman was almost unforgivable.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Maybe it's just me being naive, but I really dislike this "grim and gritty" direction they keep taking Superman. I don't care how popular Nolan's flicks were, and I don't care that studios seem to think everything has to be "dark" in order to give a character depth. He's SUPERMAN. He's the ultimate boy scout. He's decked out in primary colors (or at least blue and red). He's supposed to have a moral code that we're supposed to look up to and strive for. I'm not saying he shouldn't ever question his ethics or struggle with his decisions, but he also shouldn't be judge, jury and executioner. I dislike how in order to make him relatable (I guess?), they're writing him with the worst of human traits, instead of him reflecting our best.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Maybe it's just me being naive, but I really dislike this "grim and gritty" direction they keep taking Superman. I don't care how popular Nolan's flicks were, and I don't care that studios seem to think everything has to be "dark" in order to give a character depth. He's SUPERMAN. He's the ultimate boy scout. He's decked out in primary colors (or at least blue and red). He's supposed to have a moral code that we're supposed to look up to and strive for. I'm not saying he shouldn't ever question his ethics or struggle with his decisions, but he also shouldn't be judge, jury and executioner. I dislike how in order to make him relatable (I guess?), they're writing him with the worst of human traits, instead of him reflecting our best.
You and me, new girl? We're gonna get along JUST fine. :)

Bowielee

Bowielee

It's not bad as a popcorn comic flick, but yes, it's not the best movie they have done. Superman was almost unforgivable.
It's based off the New 52 origin comic for the Justice League. As usual, I hate pretty much everything about the rebooted universe. Green Lantern was the only thing I found tolerable. The fact that everyone wanted to bone Wonder Woman was a constant point of annoyance to me, and Billy Batson was a little punk.

Just. Awful.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Everything else aside, expect the dark-and-gritty to continue until the crisis is over and people are optimistic adn spending again. Art reflects atmosphere/attitude in the general population. Crises tend to produce more escapism, and also more attention to flaws and more of a focus on "dark"' and "gritty". Happy times lean towards more introspective work, exploration, discovery, belief in good and right.

Also, I read Z's post and was thinking "huh, is she trying to get on a good footing wth Nick or has she not met him yet". Beat me to it :p

Gryfter

Gryfter

It's based off the New 52 origin comic for the Justice League. As usual, I hate pretty much everything about the rebooted universe. Green Lantern was the only thing I found tolerable. The fact that everyone wanted to bone Wonder Woman was a constant point of annoyance to me, and Billy Batson was a little punk.

Just. Awful.
Yup... there's your problem right there.

Frank

Frank

Even putting aside what people thought of the characters and story, even the techinical side of the movie was bad. The animation was staggeringly uneven and the voice acting was generally bad (Vocodered Steve Blum as Darkseid? Everyone involved should have been fired for that).

Then they didn't even bother to hire Christopher Drake, who has provided the best music the DC animated movies have had (including his sort of Justice League movie theme that has been used in both Crisis on Two Earths and Doom and scores for Under the Red Hood and Dark Knight Returns), instead going with an incredibly generic score.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Then they didn't even bother to hire Christopher Drake, who has provided the best music the DC movies have had (including his sort of Justice League movie theme that has been used in both Crisis on Two Earths and Doom and scores for Under the Red Hood and Dark Knight Returns), instead going with an incredibly generic score.
The animated comic book movies that don't get theatrical release don't really count as "real" movies compared to a $200m+ studio production like this one

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

The animated comic book movies that don't get theatrical release don't really count as "real" movies compared to a $200m+ studio production like this one
...okay? What's your point? That's a given. What does that have to do with them not hiring the same guy to do the score like they had in previous animated movies? And how is War considered a "real" movie?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

...okay? What's your point? That's a given. What does that have to do with them not hiring the same guy to do the score like they had in previous animated movies? And how is War considered a "real" movie?
I don't mean disrespect, I'm just saying not to hold your breath for any crossover between animated comic book movies and live action. They're different worlds.

and War - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499556/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt - is a "real" movie since it had a wide theatrical release

Frank

Frank

Go home Charles, you're drunk.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I don't mean disrespect, I'm just saying not to hold your breath for any crossover between animated comic book movies and live action. They're different worlds.

and War - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499556/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt - is a "real" movie since it had a wide theatrical release
I meant Justice League: War, you ponce. You know, the one we've been discussing for the past two pages? And again, who said ANYTHING about a crossover between the two properties? None of us were even inferring that idea, so why bother even bringing it up? Especially when that wasn't even what _I_ was talking about in response to you the first time.

I'd say you were bringing up entirely new points to make some kind of point, but it's all just pointless.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Honestly, @ThatNickGuy, for your own sanity, I'd recommend just putting Charlie on your ignore list.

Fun Size

Fun Size

But then he wouldn't have used "you ponce", which made me laugh. Why do you hate laughter, Bowielee?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I didn't mean "comic book crossover". I meant the crew crossover people were specifically talking about with the same guy doing the score for each

Bowielee

Bowielee

I didn't mean "comic book crossover". I meant the crew crossover people were specifically talking about with the same guy doing the score for each
You honestly don't have the first clue what they're even talking about.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

whoops, I thought in the Warner Brothers Superman / Batman movie thread, they were talking about the Warner Brothers Superman / Batman movie. My bad.

Tress

Tress

He may not be correct about some things, but Charlie really hasn't been rude in this thread. You guys are all over his ass. Lighten up a bit.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

He may not be correct about some things, but Charlie really hasn't been rude in this thread. You guys are all over his ass. Lighten up a bit.
You're right, he's not. He's just being an idiot because we've been talking about the animated movie for the past page and a half. And of course, he must "end" things with another one of his patented, half-assed, disingenuous apologies that's just another snippy comment.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Inserting your two cents into a conversation without first reading what the conversation is about is a pretty douche move, IMO.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Everything else aside, expect the dark-and-gritty to continue until the crisis is over and people are optimistic adn spending again. Art reflects atmosphere/attitude in the general population. Crises tend to produce more escapism, and also more attention to flaws and more of a focus on "dark"' and "gritty". Happy times lean towards more introspective work, exploration, discovery, belief in good and right.

Also, I read Z's post and was thinking "huh, is she trying to get on a good footing wth Nick or has she not met him yet". Beat me to it :p
I see what you're saying, but I also think it's due to lazy writing. We've come to rely on "dark and grim" to over-shadow weak character development. Also, at what point is it worth assassinating the core of an iconic character to fit in with current climate? Batman I get, because his whole origin is dark. Superman was supposed to be the last beacon of hope for Krypton and later on, the human race. How is it that DC (or WB) doesn't have a single writer on staff to make sure that even in the darkest story, Superman remains that beacon of hope? I think a strong writer/s could turn the tide if given the chance.

And yes, through years of lurking, I am aware of Nick's views on Superman. But this isn't written with him in mind, this is truthfully my own feelings on the character. Him agreeing with me is icing on the cake. :p

Bowielee

Bowielee

I see what you're saying, but I also think it's due to lazy writing. We've come to rely on "dark and grim" to over-shadow weak character development. Also, at what point is it worth assassinating the core of an iconic character to fit in with current climate? Batman I get, because his whole origin is dark. Superman was supposed to be the last beacon of hope for Krypton and later on, the human race. How is it that DC (or WB) doesn't have a single writer on staff to make sure that even in the darkest story, Superman remains that beacon of hope? I think a strong writer/s could turn the tide if given the chance.

And yes, through years of lurking, I am aware of Nick's views on Superman. But this isn't written with him in mind, this is truthfully my own feelings on the character. Him agreeing with me is icing on the cake. :p
The thing is, before Man of Steel came out, they managed to easily do great Superman stories multiple times in the DCAU.

The Justice League/ Justice League Unlimited

Superman vs The Elite

Superman: The Animated Series

Superman: World's Finest

I put the blame on War firmly on the shittiness of the New 52.

Celt Z

Celt Z

The thing is, before Man of Steel came out, they managed to easily do great Superman stories multiple times in the DCAU.

The Justice League/ Justice League Unlimited

Superman vs The Elite

Superman: The Animated Series

Superman: World's Finest

I put the blame on War firmly on the shittiness of the New 52.
They have, I agree! I just don't like that DC/WB is taking this "one size fits all" approach to their characters. Whether it's because of the films or 52, their trying to fit everyone into a certain mold, and it changes the core of certain characters. I think these characters owe their longevity to the fact that they are so different from each other in personality and approach. Homogenizing them just makes them bland.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'd previously posted a rant about how they're trying to make everyone Batman making a similar point.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I'd previously posted a rant about how they're trying to make everyone Batman making a similar point.
I probably read that, and completely forgot.

...sorry.:(

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I probably read that, and completely forgot.

...sorry.:(
You're fired.

PatrThom

PatrThom

You and me, new person, we're going to get along just...
You're fired.
Oh.

--Patrick

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Go home Charles, you're drunk.
Can you tell the difference?

Frank

Frank

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140131005753/en#.Uuvimz15N8E

Ben Affleck as Batman, ok cool we'll wait and see.

Jesse Eisenberg as Luthor?

Oh, this new Luthor is a Luthor for TODAY. We need someone like Mark Zuckerberg. Who played him in that movie about Mark Zuckerberg? Let's hire that guy! Why the same guy, I'm fuckin' Zack Snyder that's why. Now get out of here, I want to fuck to Leonard Cohen music in slow motion.

Gryfter

Gryfter

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140131005753/en#.Uuvimz15N8E

Ben Affleck as Batman, ok cool we'll wait and see.

Jesse Eisenberg as Luthor?

Oh, this new Luthor is a Luthor for TODAY. We need someone like Mark Zuckerberg. Who played him in that movie about Mark Zuckerberg? Let's hire that guy! Why the same guy, I'm fuckin' Zack Snyder that's why. Now get out of here, I want to fuck to Leonard Cohen music in slow motion.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

...So, how much longer are they gonna keep digging themselves deeper into a pit of stupidity? At this point, they ought to have someone bury from the top, make it a grave and kill this stupid idea.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

If MIGHT work. I say that with a VERY strong "might," though. For example, it MIGHT work if they play him like the uppity, young genius inventor ala Luthor from Superman: Birthright. That's the only possible direction I could see that MAYBE working.

I still don't see it, though. But this movie is becoming more and more of a glorious disaster even before it comes out.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

YES THIS MOVIE IS GOING TO BE AWESOME

Superman
snapping Zod's neck and howling in despair
in Man of Steel is the first time I thought the character was interesting ever

blotsfan

blotsfan

You really don't like Nick, do you?

But yeah this is a really dumb idea. It'd be like having some gay cowboy be the joker.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

At least Afflack looks like a good casting choice now.

Espy

Espy

But yeah this is a really dumb idea. It'd be like having some gay cowboy be the joker.
I'm with this guy. How dare they cast a well known, oscar nominated and respected actor who is known best for his portrayal of a brilliant, insanely focused business man who is willing to crush anyone who gets in his way to play a brilliant but insanely focused business man who is willing to crush anyone in his way? This makes no sense. RAGE!!!!!!!!!

But seriously this is brilliant. He's going to make a fantastic Luther. Not as good as Bryan Cranston or Idris Elba but close.

Frank

Frank

That's my issue, it's not like Heath Ledger at all. Ledger was never known for anything like the Joker. He proved himself by playing something completely different than anything he's ever done. They're just hiring Jesse Eisenberg to play Mark Zuckerberg. We already know exactly what this is going to look like, and it's blah.

Covar

Covar

YES THIS MOVIE IS GOING TO BE AWESOME

Superman
snapping Zod's neck and howling in despair
in Man of Steel is the first time I thought the character was interesting ever
That's very telling of your character.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Wait, maybe I don't know the Luther character like I thought: is Lex Luthor traditionally completely socially awkward? I know he's a genius, but I thought he was also a business man with a certain amount of savvy. The thing about the Zuckerberg role was that he was awkward as Hell.

Espy

Espy

I think people that are expecting him to be Mark Zuckerburg are going to be surprised at Eisenburgs range as an actor. I would expect way more from him. If I'm wrong then I'll be very disappointed because he's a great actor.

Frank

Frank

Wait, maybe I don't know the Luther character like I thought: is Lex Luthor traditionally completely socially awkward? I know he's a genius, but I thought he was also a business man with a certain amount of savvy. The thing about the Zuckerberg role was that he was awkward as Hell.
I'll be honest, Luthor to me is Clancy Brown's Animated Luthor, so, I don't give a shit about the other versions of him. I want smooth as fuck, business man, genius and also obsessed Luthor.

Fun Size

Fun Size

So that sounds like a different character that, presumably, a non-hack actor would play differently.

Frank

Frank

I think people that are expecting him to be Mark Zuckerburg are going to be surprised at Eisenburgs range as an actor. I would expect way more from him. If I'm wrong then I'll be very disappointed because he's a great actor.
Hey, maybe he will surprise. Reading Snyder talk about him and having seen Snyder's previous work leads me to doubt.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Snyder's involvement in the first place bothers me more than Affleck or Eisenberg, and that part isn't changing.

I'm just going to be pre-convinced the movie is going to be a crock of shit, and then be pleasantly, enthusiastically surprised if it isn't. That way, I can't lose.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I honestly don't know what to think about that casting choice because I feel like there's never been a consistent version of Lex Luthor. Aside from the money and the baldness, it seems like everyone interprets him differently. Spacey was nothing like Hackman, Rosenbaum was nothing like Shea, and even animated, Brown's Luthor was smooth while Jones' was bombastic and ham-fisted (okay, everything was on that last show). Even in the comics he's all over the place, and sometimes has hair! I never understood why Luthor became Superman's most well-known adversary, since he usually feels more like a plot-device than a consistant villain.

Tress

Tress

Now You See Me was not really a good movie. But! Eisenberg demonstrated he could play a character brimming with confidence, and without social awkwardness. So I think he has more range than just being "that Facebook movie guy".

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Admittedly, if I were to cast Jesse Eisenberg in a DC movie based on his past experiences playing nervous, frenetic, mildly-unbalanced guy of various degrees of intelligence, I would have cast him as Toyman before Luthor. But w/e, let's see how he does.

Covar

Covar

Spacey was nothing like Hackman
Spacey was exactly like Hackman. Of course I'm pretty sure his direction from Singer was "Be more like Gene Hackman was!"

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

. We already know exactly what this is going to look like, and it's blah.
It looks like an Oscar-nominated performance that imo, SHOULD have won that year

Frank

Frank

It looks like an Oscar-nominated performance that imo, SHOULD have won that year
I'm sure he'll win it for this movie instead.

Well, he'd have to die first.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Well, he'd have to die first.
No!

Celt Z

Celt Z

Everyone that touches one of these iconic roles seeks to "make it their own" and put a spin on it so it isn't just a shallow homage to any of the previous people who took a shot at it.

I like both Nicholson's and Ledger's Joker. They were both different in many ways, and even the similar things were performed in ways that are distinct.

The director, therefore, has a vision of what he wants the role to be. The writers, too, have their fingers in the pot. The actor did an audition, and the director, and probably writers and producers, had some input as to whether the actor did a good job of conveying their vision - meanwhile the actor him or herself will be adding their take on it.

"I know there's chocolate in this box, but when I eat one I'm going to be surprised, and hopefully pleased, by the other flavors, textures, and so forth that were created by the chocolatier."

Don't worry about casting choices. Once the salt, caramel, and peppers are added, you might like it, you might not, but you can't possibly know what it's going to be like until you actually eat it.
I get what you're saying about interpretation, but it's usually interpretation within boundaries: Spider-Man is quippy, Batman is brooding/tactical, The Joker is erratic, until recently Superman was a boy scout, etc. Luthor tends be be all over the place, and sometimes not a villain at all. I'm just saying that I'm not up-in-arms about the casting choice because no one can seem to make up their mind about Lex is supposed to be, so there can't really be a right/wrong choice.

Spacey was exactly like Hackman. Of course I'm pretty sure his direction from Singer was "Be more like Gene Hackman was!"
I always felt Spacey's Luthor was much darker than Hackman's. Hakcman's seemed more comedic to me at times; still a bad guy, but less dire.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I get what you're saying about interpretation, but it's usually interpretation within boundaries: Spider-Man is quippy, Batman is brooding/tactical, The Joker is erratic, until recently Superman was a boy scout, etc.
That's a good point. It would really suck if they made a Spider-Man movie with a whiney douchey Peter Parker.

Celt Z

Celt Z

That's a good point. It would really suck if they made a Spider-Man movie with a whiney douchey Peter Parker.
Are we making a "Spider-Man 3" joke? :thumbsup:

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Are we making a "Spider-Man 3" joke? :thumbsup:

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Amazing Spiderman?

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Amazing Spiderman?
I thought Andrew Garfield did pretty decently as a era-updated version of the character. He may not have been everyone's cup of tea, and he was definitely a little emo compared to the first two movies, but that was okay - Parker definitely got a little emo. Key word being "little".

My issues with Amazing had more to do with its slightly off-kilter pace and the fact that no one really cares about the Lizard.

Covar

Covar

I think people just weren't used to seeing a movie Peter Parker actually emoting.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Found on Yahoo:

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

The internet when an actor is cast in role wildly different from what they are used to:
"WHAT?! OMG HE/SHE CAN'T PLAY THAT PART! ALL THEY EVER PLAY IS THIS SAME ROLE OVER AND OVER AGAIN! HOW CAN THEY THINK AN ACTOR CAN PLAY MORE THAN ONE ROLE?!"

The internet when an actor is cast in a similar role to what they are used to:
"ARGH, I HATE SO AND SO. ALL THEY EVER PLAY IS THE SAME ROLE. THEY NEVER DO ANYTHING DIFFERENT."

Jesse Eisenberg will probably be just fine in the role. The movie will probably still suck, because Zack Snyder is in charge of it, but I just don't see the point in judging an actor's portrayal before we've seen even one tiny clip of it.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I can't wait to hear how "Superman" kills the movie's villain this time

I'm betting on him frying them with heat vision this time.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I can't wait to hear how "Superman" kills the movie's villain this time

I'm betting on him frying them with heat vision this time.
He's Superman, deal with it.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Maybe he lights Luthor's hair on fire, which causes his baldness, and drives him completely insane at the ah, injustice of it all.

And then the sequel takes a severe left turn as Jesse Eisenberg portrays a Luthor that is half classic Lex and half Spider Jerusalem from Transmet.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

He's Superman, deal with it.
Go desperately troll for attention somewhere's else.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

....It's not even remotely relevant, it just popped up on image search, and I thought it was hilarious.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, Heisenberg isn't playing Luthor- EISENBERG is. Man, don't you just hate typos?

evilmike

evilmike

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, Heisenberg isn't playing Luthor- EISENBERG is. Man, don't you just hate typos?
Maybe you changed how the movie was cast by reading the headline more closely.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Bryan Cranston as Lex Luther? I'd probably want to see the movie JUST for that.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I thought Andrew Garfield did pretty decently as a era-updated version of the character. He may not have been everyone's cup of tea, and he was definitely a little emo compared to the first two movies, but that was okay - Parker definitely got a little emo. Key word being "little".

My issues with Amazing had more to do with its slightly off-kilter pace and the fact that no one really cares about the Lizard.
My biggest issue with his portrayal of Spider-man is that he didn't come off as light heartedly quipping, but more being a mean spirited douche.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

You really don't like Nick, do you?
I think we established that just fine with his recent -forum quit-

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Now, this is interesting news. It's not directly about Superman/Batman, but it does affect it (Affleckt it?):

Captain America 3, part of Marvel's Avengers Phase 3, will open May 6, 2016. That's the same day as Superman/Batman. There's some talk that S/B will be moved to the first weekend of April, but I think that might just be worse for them. It means they'll have a good opening weekend and then get trounced by Cap.

But just imagine the headlines: Captain American beats both Superman and Batman!

To be perfectly honest? At this point, I don't think I'll even bother with Superman/Batman. Cap 3 definitely has my money opening weekend, but I don't think I want to give WB any more of my money.

Frank

Frank

That's the world we live in. Where a Batman movie is afraid of Captain America.

Can you imagine that 25 years ago?

vs

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

vs
Personally I like Captain more, and that's cause I'm a DC guy.... I just really don't like Batman. I find almost all his villains and sidekicks far more interesting.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I think that might just be worse for them. It means they'll have a good opening weekend and then get trounced by Cap..
All of box office is driven by the first weekend, Captain America opening on its ~5th week won't really matter at all

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

All of box office is driven by the first weekend, Captain America opening on its ~5th week won't really matter at all
Fifth week? Are you drunk again? May 6 would be the the week after the last week of April.[DOUBLEPOST=1394758708,1394758655][/DOUBLEPOST]

It's worse than that. It's a Batman/SUPERMAN movie being afraid of Captain America.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

There's some talk that S/B will be moved to the first weekend of April,
???

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Whoops, my bad. It was the end of April. And I meant the last week. Yeah, that's my fault.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Marvel is essentially dictating the super hero genre at this point with marvelous skill. Batman has run it's course and needs a reboot. Superman has already be rebooted twice and not to the reception they had desired. Lets not mention the other movie. Where as Marvel has systematically put out movies that have all worked together and build towards greater brand recognition and acceptance, resulting in the largest opening weekend box office in history. Batman vs Superman has already run away from one Marvel movie, can they survive if they dare to move it again?

Bowielee

Bowielee

At this point, unless DC really does something different, their movie franchises are never going to be able to compete. The first smart move they could make is to stop putting Nolan and Snyder in charge or projects and trying to make every DC hero Batman.

Covar

Covar

Marvel is essentially dictating the super hero genre at this point with marvelous skill. Batman has run it's course and needs a reboot. Superman has already be rebooted twice and not to the reception they had desired. Lets not mention the other movie. Where as Marvel has systematically put out movies that have all worked together and build towards greater brand recognition and acceptance, resulting in the largest opening weekend box office in history. Batman vs Superman has already run away from one Marvel movie, can they survive if they dare to move it again?
Superman Returns wasn't a reboot.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Superman Returns wasn't a reboot.
Well, it sort of was. It was a soft reboot, like the second Hulk movie. New actors, but same universe.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Best thing DC could do right now? Drag their fucking ass out of the Dark Age of Comic books, start a DC specific studio for DC properties, staffed with comic book people, and basically cut Warner Bros. executives out of the process. It's working great with Marvel over at Disney.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Eh. Wait a few more years, till the DC comics movies have passed, find a new mood or direction to take them in, and make a reboot of the entire universe. And if you want to make more than just one hero's story, don't start with Batman or Superman - they're too well known and "boring" now. Make something more unexpected.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Problem with that is the general media idiot public doesn't like unexpected and tends not to pay for tickets to it.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Iron Man, the first of the MCU movies, struck a pretty good balance between "unexpected" and "widely known about", I think. Not necessarily a universal household name like Spider-Man or the X-Men, but still pretty popular.

Who would be a DC equivalent of that?

tegid

tegid

I'd say that would be Green Lantern. Oops, wait a minute...

(WW, the Flash are too known, others are too unknown)

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Green Lantern had such potential....

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I've already listed several hit movies they could do. The only thing that is keeping them from cashing in on their properties is the ineptitude of the people running them. This is especially obvious in their handling of their television properties.

- Batman: The Brave and the Bold was axed for a new Batman show inspired by the Batman Begins trilogy, except...
- They axed Beware the Batman when it was JUST getting good. The only blu-ray for the show has two unaired episodes, the show stopped being shown in... November, and it's absent from the CN schedule for the year.
- Green Lantern got the ax right after an AMAZING season. The show was basically The Clone Wars for DC animation at this point. Had great ratings.
- Young Justice was cancelled after the toys didn't sell, despite impressive ratings.
- Somehow Arrow is getting more seasons despite being generally reviled for being dumb and nothing like the character from the comics.

Flash, Gotham, and Constantine are getting shows so that's something but I'd prefer animated versions of all three. Why isn't Gotham or Constantine a 6-10 episode gritty drama on Toonami? You'd make bank on that. Instead we're getting Arrow lookalikes and Constantine will probably be a rip-off of Supernatural (which would be great, except Supernatural is getting more seasons AND a spin-off). It's like... the people at Warner Bros don't know what they have. Disney is making SO MUCH FUCKING MONEY by letting comic book stuff BE comic book stuff. Shield is slowly getting good. Avengers Assemble, Ultimate Spiderman, and Agents of SMASH are great (especially since ALL THREE SHARE VOICE ACTORS AND A UNIVERSE).

I just... why hasn't WB fired every executive in charge of these properties and hired comic book fans for the roles? At least they would have faith in the franchise.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I don't think even that would work at this point, Ashburner. I don't know if you're familiar, but right now DC comics, with only a few exceptions, are pretty terrible right now. I don't think letting the creative teams behind the comics take the reigns would be any better.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I don't think even that would work at this point, Ashburner. I don't know if you're familiar, but right now DC comics, with only a few exceptions, are pretty terrible right now. I don't think letting the creative teams behind the comics take the reigns would be any better.
And the stuff that is/was good ether got dropped or wouldn't work as TV show/movie. So no All Star Western starring Jonah Hex or Demon Knights.

Hey, they could bring back Batman Beyond. The comic is pretty good, still ongoing, and they are already talking about making it the next Batman movie...

I'd be happy with Suicide Squad, but only if we get fat Amanda Waller.

Can't really think of anything else.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Can't really think of anything else.
....Wonder Woman?

Seriously, this is my biggest gripe with DC's decisions (besides Batman fatigue). They're sitting on one of the biggest and most influential figures in comics, and with a little effort, they could probably bring in a new audience of girls who think comics and superheroes "are for boys", in addition to the current comic fans. To to mention they'd beat Marvel/Disney in the one place they haven't explored: for all the Black Widows and Sifs and X-Women, NONE of them have lead they're own movie or cartoon yet. But frankly, I'd still trust Disney to do it first, because Warner Bros., as told by Paul Dini, has gone on record saying there's no value in a "girl audience"

Fun Size

Fun Size

Disney is making SO MUCH FUCKING MONEY by letting comic book stuff BE comic book stuff.
This is the point, but with a twist. As I've stated before, I think the reason the MCU is working as well as it is is that they have people who know how to update a story without making the mistake that "for adults" = "gritty". I think I fall into the majority of people who read a select few comics if any, and when I try to read some of the source material for, let's say, Iron Man, I'm struck by just how silly it seems. The mastery at Marvel is that they continue to work that stuff in somehow (Cap's stage costume is a brilliant example) without making the whole thing campy OR overly serious. DC needs to find someone who understands that balance.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

One of the reasons I think Iron Man did so well was due to the fact it was "fun". RDJ brought a pretty sarcastic wit to the character that made him an endearing asshole. Every movie after has been trying to keep up that mix of action, comedy, and drama rather then choosing a single option and just going with it.

One minute we have Iron Man trapped in a cave with a damaged heart (drama), then we have him escaping with flamethrowers (action), then we have him flying into walls and getting sprayed in the face by his fire extinguisher robot (comedy). And it all fits together like, well, a comic book. The first Thor movie has Jane run him over twice after presenting him as an utter badass in the first quarter. Captain America has his whole stage arc. The Avengers threw in tons of witty little jokes that flowed together with the action, like the part where Loki gets hulk smashed which added a great chuckle to an otherwise serious climax.

This is one of the reasons I didn't really like The Dark Knight Rises, it took the grimdark established in the other movies and just kind of took it to eleven with terrorist cells, revenge plots, nuke threats, etc... It also took one of my favorite parts of the last movie and threw it out in favor of a bleaker setting.

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

Constantine a 6-10 episode gritty drama on Toonami?
No, Adult Swim . . . maybe. Toonami, just friggin' no.

Terrik

Terrik

RDJ absolutely makes Iron Man for me.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

....Wonder Woman?

Seriously, this is my biggest gripe with DC's decisions (besides Batman fatigue). They're sitting on one of the biggest and most influential figures in comics, and with a little effort, they could probably bring in a new audience of girls who think comics and superheroes "are for boys", in addition to the current comic fans. To to mention they'd beat Marvel/Disney in the one place they haven't explored: for all the Black Widows and Sifs and X-Women, NONE of them have lead they're own movie or cartoon yet. But frankly, I'd still trust Disney to do it first, because Warner Bros., as told by Paul Dini, has gone on record saying there's no value in a "girl audience"
Yeah, if they wanted to go totally ballsy (no pun intended), they'd start the JLA franchise with Wonder Woman. I've said it a million times, but they could've easily fleshed out Gail Simone's script from the animated movie some years back and made it into a live action film.

You know, I was having a conversation with a friend of mine the other day about Marvel female heroes. While they have a number of strong female characters, there are few that really have a deep enough mythology, own villains, or supporting cast to support their own solo book or movie. Most of them are related first with teams, such as any of the X-Women, the Avengers, etc. None of them are really iconic on their own. DC, on the other hand, has Wonder Woman, Black Canary (or just Birds of Prey in general), Zatanna. Even Batgirl, Batwoman, and Supergirl, while related with the character they spun off from have enough they could support their own solo books or even movie. In most cases, you can even name some key villains for each of them.

Marvel women...don't really have that. They're all primarily team players.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Guys, as long as the NU52 regime is in power at DC their stuff; movies and comics, is going to suffer. I think the best point to make is that Marvel is fun and DC is grim at this point in time and until things shift in the company as a whole we are going to continue to get sub-par versions of all these iconic heroes.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Yeah, if they wanted to go totally ballsy (no pun intended), they'd start the JLA franchise with Wonder Woman. I've said it a million times, but they could've easily fleshed out Gail Simone's script from the animated movie some years back and made it into a live action film.

You know, I was having a conversation with a friend of mine the other day about Marvel female heroes. While they have a number of strong female characters, there are few that really have a deep enough mythology, own villains, or supporting cast to support their own solo book or movie. Most of them are related first with teams, such as any of the X-Women, the Avengers, etc. None of them are really iconic on their own. DC, on the other hand, has Wonder Woman, Black Canary (or just Birds of Prey in general), Zatanna. Even Batgirl, Batwoman, and Supergirl, while related with the character they spun off from have enough they could support their own solo books or even movie. In most cases, you can even name some key villains for each of them.

Marvel women...don't really have that. They're all primarily team players.
Yeah, that's very true. Off the top of my head, She-Hulk is the first I think of for carrying her own title, and a lot of the others occasionally got mini-series. Even poor Shulkie is a derivative of the Hulk. I think in the hands of a decent writer, they could make some interesting solo projects for Marvel. There are some great women writers our there, and there are guys like Neil Gaiman and Terry Moore who write amazing female characters. It can be done, but the old myth that "women don't read comics/aren't interested in superheroes/etc" is hard to kill.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

On Wonder Woman - Yeah, this could work, but only if they aren't afraid to have her utterly dominating the mooks in her movies. I want to see her just manhandling dudes... breaking arms, using a sword, cracking skull... she needs to be the "overt" force that nether Batman or Superman are.

When Superman shows up, the normal bad guys give up because they can't do shit.
When Batman shows up, they know they are going to get their asses kicked... hard.
But when Wonder Woman shows up? I want them to be praying they will live through the night.

On Constantine - @Tiger Tsang, I'd put it at like 11:00, 11:30 on saturday. It's not a Comedy so it needs to be on the Action Block. Putting it with the Comedy shows may give it better lead-ins but you don't stick Comedys and Action shows on the same block.

On Marvel Women - She-Hulk would be fun, but I'd be afraid they'd turn it into something stupid. X-52 might be a good choice if they ever got the rights to mutants back. Runaways would be excellent too... main cast has like 4 women.

mikerc

mikerc

Iron Man, the first of the MCU movies, struck a pretty good balance between "unexpected" and "widely known about", I think. Not necessarily a universal household name like Spider-Man or the X-Men, but still pretty popular.

Who would be a DC equivalent of that?
Aquaman? Honestly I think they may be better off forgetting about reasonably well known superheroes & just trying to find one that can hit the same sort of action / comedy tone of IM1. Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle maybe?

Or if they must go for the name recognition the Birds of Prey & focus most of the advertising on Barbara Gordon.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Booster Gold movie would be amazing.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Booster Gold movie would be amazing.
I think a Booster Gold movie would only work if he had Ted Kord Blue Beetle with him. They have such a great chemistry that it would be the perfect action comedy movie.

Necronic

Necronic

On Wonder Woman - Yeah, this could work, but only if they aren't afraid to have her utterly dominating the mooks in her movies. I want to see her just manhandling dudes... breaking arms, using a sword, cracking skull... she needs to be the "overt" force that nether Batman or Superman are.
I know it's not DC but it could be cool if they did it the way they ran Supreme Powers, just had her as this aloof goddess who kills for fun

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I know it's not DC but it could be cool if they did it the way they ran Supreme Powers, just had her as this aloof goddess who kills for fun
Then that's no longer Wonder Woman.

The point of the character is that she wants to delegate peace and bring the message to the human world...except she's also trained as a warrior. She's not one for brutality, but certainly knows how to take out entire armies, usually with their own ordinance. For example, watch her in the Justice League cartoon. Nine times out of ten, she's the one doing the most damage when they fight armies, like Darkseid's parademons or WWII. Being a warrior, though, she's also not afraid to kill, but ONLY when necessary. Not just for shits and giggles. She still carries that same care for life that her compatriots have, but she's also willing to take someone out, only if it's completely and absolutely necessary. If she were in Superman's shoes in Man of Steel, it wouldn't be out of character.

In a lot of ways, she's the League's answer both to Captain America in terms of being a solider...and The Hulk in terms of taking out armies. Unlike Hulk, though, she does it with such finesse that it leaves everyone on both sides in complete awe of her. She's not just a woman. She's a WONDER of a woman.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I was just about to write the same thing, Nick. :banana:

Bowielee

Bowielee

Plus, she's like super tight with the greek gods.

Usually in a "she kicks their asses" kind of way.

Espy

Espy

Plus she can do it all without pants on or a shirt that covers half of her boobs! So practical!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Celt Z

Celt Z

Plus she can do it all without pants on or a shirt that covers half of her boobs! So practical!
Don't dismiss WW just because some artists insist on worrying about how "fappable" she'll be to the LCD crowd. She didn't start out that way. I believe they were going for something patriotic and feminine but still "exotic" since she's an Amazon. We got this:
wwcostume.jpg

A bustier and a skirt isn't great, but it's a start. After that she had shorts. Also, in most of the WW comics/stories I've read, she doesn't use her sexually as a weapon or distraction. A number of artists have also tried to tweak her uniform over the years to try to seem more practical. My favorite is still her golden eagle armor from Kingdom Come.
I agree it's frustrating, but at the same time, she's a character that is far more than her assigned costume.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Also, in most of the WW comics/stories I've read, she doesn't use her sexually as a weapon or distraction. A number of artists have also tried to tweak her uniform over the years to try to seem more practical. My favorite is still her golden eagle armor from Kingdom Come.
Any time she gets actual armor she looks amazing and fucking intimidating. I wish it happened more often.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Any time she gets actual armor she looks amazing and fucking intimidating. I wish it happened more often.

Espy

Espy

Just like everyone expected, they officially announced the Justice League movie coming after SvB: http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug...rmed-starts-filming-after-superman-vs-batman/

Bowielee

Bowielee

/yawn

Zach Snyder as director. Yeah, maybe on DVD.

Krisken

Krisken

They should have done The Flash first. DC fail.

Bowielee

Bowielee

They're doing a Flash TV show.

Krisken

Krisken

But I want a movie! Movies get more exposure and advertising. While Arrow might get noticed a little, it's nothing compared to how a movie would have increased public exposure.

Edit: And damn it already, how hard is it to make a Wonder Woman movie?!?

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I am amused by the idea of The Rock playing Captain Marvel (the hero version of him anyway). I can't think of a better actor to play a giant muscle-person who simultaneously acts like a 13 year-old. And I mean that in the best possible way.

Covar

Covar

Considering how hard it is to make a Wonder Woman Comic? Pretty difficult I would say. Their first step would be to gather 5 wonder woman fans in a room and get them to agree on the tone of a movie, and what her character should be about.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Considering how hard it is to make a Wonder Woman Comic? Pretty difficult I would say. Their first step would be to gather 5 wonder woman fans in a room and get them to agree on the tone of a movie, and what her character should be about.
How is that different from any other superhero?

Covar

Covar

A lot of the super-heroes that have had big successful movies have a much more solid core to them than Wonder Woman. Batman from the Caped Crusader to the Dark Knight is still the same core, looked at from a different angle. Wonder Woman not so much. Even today she's two completely different characters depending on what book your reading. She's a mess.

Celt Z

Celt Z

A lot of the super-heroes that have had big successful movies have a much more solid core to them than Wonder Woman. Batman from the Caped Crusader to the Dark Knight is still the same core, looked at from a different angle. Wonder Woman not so much. Even today she's two completely different characters depending on what book your reading. She's a mess.
...What? Are we talking about the same character? Has she suddenly changed in the last 31 years I've been reading about her?

Wonder Woman is the median between Superman and Batman. She is less hesitant to use force then Superman for the good of the many, but more likely to use wisdom before action than Batman. She is a diplomat and an representative of the Amazons to bring an Amazon's wisdom into the outside world, along with the gift of the Gods. She's had just as many writing and reboots as Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, etc., and yet her core has usually remained the same. No one has every complained their stories are too varied to adapt into a singular film, and writers constant write these characters to fit their own point-of-view.

The only argument I ever see is "well, she's a girl, so we have to take into account her feeling, her sexuality, her emotions..." which, NO. No more so than you would have to take into account Clark's attraction to Lois or Batman's loss of his parents. Stop focusing on the "woman" and write about the "wonder". It never stopped Superman, Batman, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, Captain America or the Avengers from becoming hits. Treat her as you would treat ANY of them: as an icon and a hero.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Considering how hard it is to make a Wonder Woman Comic?
It's only hard because of the leadership at DC comics. They're a bunch of idiots who have openly stated that they want to make comics for adult men and don't think any other demographic matters. That's why it's hard for them to write Wonder Woman.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

It's only hard because of the leadership at DC comics. They're a bunch of idiots who have openly stated that they want to make comics for adult men and don't think any other demographic matters.
Not to mention the same bunch of jokers who commissioned Young Justice and GLAS solely for the purpose of marketing toys to children and somehow had no idea how to capitalize on both shows being much larger hits with teens and adults, and so canceled them.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Not sure why everyone wants a Wonder Woman movie.

We all know when it comes out it will be about Diana losing her mother, thus forcing herself to leave the Amazons and travel the world in search of closure. Soon she will realize she must be a hero to right the wrongs that have come about in the world, but knowing full well that the general population will never understand her. She then finds herself causing more harm then good as Ares makes himself known and attacks, leveling a city in revenge, and forcing her to kill him to protect her home.

Then all you have to do is put a desaturation filter over the lens and make her do at least fifty angst faces, and you have DCs new cinematic universe.

Krisken

Krisken

Because girls deserve to have a super hero to look up to?

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Because girls deserve to have a super hero to look up to?
If that was towards me I think you missed the point of my post.

Krisken

Krisken

If that was towards me I think you missed the point of my post.
I was mostly responding to the "Not sure why everyone wants a Wonder Woman movie". If you have a suggestion for a better candidate, I'm all ears.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I think his reasoning is more along the lines of "its going to suck if its made, so who cares?"

Bowielee

Bowielee

...What? Are we talking about the same character? Has she suddenly changed in the last 31 years I've been reading about her?

Wonder Woman is the median between Superman and Batman. She is less hesitant to use force then Superman for the good of the many, but more likely to use wisdom before action than Batman. She is a diplomat and an representative of the Amazons to bring an Amazon's wisdom into the outside world, along with the gift of the Gods. She's had just as many writing and reboots as Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, etc., and yet her core has usually remained the same. No one has every complained their stories are too varied to adapt into a singular film, and writers constant write these characters to fit their own point-of-view.

The only argument I ever see is "well, she's a girl, so we have to take into account her feeling, her sexuality, her emotions..." which, NO. No more so than you would have to take into account Clark's attraction to Lois or Batman's loss of his parents. Stop focusing on the "woman" and write about the "wonder". It never stopped Superman, Batman, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, Captain America or the Avengers from becoming hits. Treat her as you would treat ANY of them: as an icon and a hero.
This about sums up my reaction. Writers who have difficulty writing female characters are bad writers, period.

There's NOTHING unique about Batman, Superman, Martian Manhunter, etc... that would make them any different if they happened to be female characters. Thinking that they have to be written differently desperately clings to outmoded, sexist ideals of what a woman should be, not what they actually are.

A good case in point is Batwoman. She has an origin that mirrors Batman's, but is actually MORE masculine than his (being brought up by a hard ass military father, who later trains her to be the soldier she needs to be to fight crime).

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I was mostly responding to the "Not sure why everyone wants a Wonder Woman movie". If you have a suggestion for a better candidate, I'm all ears.
You have to read the rest of my post before jumping on the first sentence. The first sentence was just a opener into the rest of my jab.

I think his reasoning is more along the lines of "its going to suck if its made, so who cares?"
It's more, "They will just turn her into a female batman anyways. Regardless of all the comics or whatever they do."

Bowielee

Bowielee

You have to read the rest of my post before jumping on the first sentence. The first sentence was just a opener into the rest of my jab.

It's more, "They will just turn her into a female batman anyways. Regardless of all the comics or whatever they do."

WB seems to want EVERYONE to be Batman nowadays. In a way, I kind of wish the Nolan Batman movies had never happened.

figmentPez

figmentPez

We all know when it comes out it will be about Diana losing her mother, thus forcing herself to leave the Amazons and travel the world in search of closure. Soon she will realize she must be a hero to right the wrongs that have come about in the world, but knowing full well that the general population will never understand her. She then finds herself causing more harm then good as Ares makes himself known and attacks, leveling a city in revenge, and forcing her to kill him to protect her home.

Then all you have to do is put a desaturation filter over the lens and make her do at least fifty angst faces, and you have DCs new cinematic universe.
Would you have said the same thing to people who wanted a new Superman movie? "Oh, we know what will happen, he'll be turned into a gritty superhero." Yeah, there's always a possibility of a character being mishandled, and it's entirely possible that DC would just make a Wonder Woman movie that's just a re-skinned Man of Steel. Still, it's not wrong to want better, to want what the character could be in the right hands.

Krisken

Krisken

As in all cases, 'it depends'. Depends on if the studio has learned anything, if they get good writers, if they get a good set of actors, the director, etc. To just say 'it's going to suck, why try for it' is a little silly.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Would you have said the same thing to people who wanted a new Superman movie? "Oh, we know what will happen, he'll be turned into a gritty superhero." Yeah, there's always a possibility of a character being mishandled, and it's entirely possible that DC would just make a Wonder Woman movie that's just a re-skinned Man of Steel. Still, it's not wrong to want better, to want what the character could be in the right hands.
Trust me I would love a proper Wonder Woman movie. I loved that Wonder Woman animated movie they came out with a few years back that I felt kept a good balance of her Amazon warrior persona and her diplomatic persona. I just don't trust Nolan or Snyder to be the guys to actually respect it after what I have seen from them.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Would you have said the same thing to people who wanted a new Superman movie? "Oh, we know what will happen, he'll be turned into a gritty superhero."
Actually, people were saying that when WB was gearing up for Man of Steel.

They were right.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

As in all cases, 'it depends'. Depends on if the studio has learned anything, if they get good writers, if they get a good set of actors, the director, etc. To just say 'it's going to suck, why try for it' is a little silly.
I am not saying they shouldn't try. Just saying I have little faith based on the experiences so far. I am just not sure why everyone WANTS one, when it likely will be directed by Zack Snyder and have her likely get raped or something as "character development" (Hey, it worked for 300 and Sucker Punch, RIGHT?)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I am not saying they shouldn't try. Just saying I have little faith based on the experiences so far. I am just not sure why everyone WANTS one, when it likely will be directed by Zack Snyder and have her likely get raped or something as "character development" (Hey, it worked for 300 and Sucker Punch, RIGHT?)
That'd be my bet.

Covar

Covar

And well get the N52/Amazons Attack treatment of making everyone on Paradise Island a bunch of insane man-hating lesbians who can't understand why a mother might not want them to murde her 9 month old son.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Oh, God, the New 52 and their treatment of women for the most part is just deplorable.

The aforementioned Batwoman is the exception, not the rule.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Actually, people were saying that when WB was gearing up for Man of Steel.

They were right.
But were they asking "Why would you want a Superman movie?" I know they were right about what was going to happen, but did they question why people would even want any Superman movie made at all?

Krisken

Krisken

I guess that's a possibility. I think the outrage would be pretty severe from the people who are their fans, though.

To be honest, I've never been a big DC guy. Their characters have often been pretty cookie cutter to me.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I guess that's a possibility. I think the outrage would be pretty severe from the people who are their fans, though.
Like the outrage over certain events in Man of Steel have stopped them from making Zack Snyder the Justice League director?

Oh wait...

Krisken

Krisken

Like the outrage over certain events in Man of Steel have stopped them from making Zack Snyder the Justice League director?

Oh wait...
I didn't say they were quick learners.

And I thought I was a negative, cynical bastard.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

But were they asking "Why would you want a Superman movie?" I know they were right about what was going to happen, but did they question why people would even want any Superman movie made at all?
Maybe I should be more clear and say "Why would you want a Wonder Woman movie when it's likely going to be made by same tards that did Man of Steel, and likely directed by the guy that feels girls getting raped is empowering as long as they daydream about ninjas." Is that better?

I would love a Wonder Woman movie. I don't want a Nolan/Snyder Wonder Woman movie, which is likely what it will be since they seem to own the whole thing by this point.

Krisken

Krisken

Maybe I should be more clear and say "Why would you want a Wonder Woman movie when it's likely going to be made by same tards that did Man of Steel, and likely directed by the guy that feels girls getting raped is empowering as long as they daydream about ninjas." Is that better?

I would love a Wonder Woman movie. I don't want a Nolan/Snyder Wonder Woman movie, which is likely what it will be since they seem to own the whole thing by this point.
Now that's a fair point. We can still hope though :)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

No, I suppose not. It was more like "Why would you wan a Superman movie like this?"[DOUBLEPOST=1398709871,1398709828][/DOUBLEPOST]

I'm amused that they turned down Joss Whedon's Wonder Woman movie, only for him to go and direct the thing they're trying so hard to capitalize on.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Because WE ALL deserve to have a woman hero to look up to
FTFY ;)

While I understand what your saying, Scythe, that with DC's current trajectory, the odds that they will Nolan/Snyder-ize Wonder Woman are high and depressing, but it doesn't mean we stop demanding. No one ever got anywhere in history by saying, "things probably won't turn out the way we wanted, so we shouldn't even try". People site "Supergirl" as "well, we tried, but you can't make a female super hero movie", ignoring all the problems that went into making that movie in the first place. By that logic, we should never have been able to make the Marvel blockbusters of the last 14 years because of the shitty job they did with the original Captain America/ Fantastic Four/Incredible Hulk/Generation X movies they made in the 80's and 90's. But if there's anything that the last decade proved, it CAN be done and it CAN be done right. People need to keep the pressure on DC to step up their game, to stop thinking it's okay to treat their female characters so poorly on screen or in comics or in animation and stop thinking their audience isn't only adult men. Wonder Woman isn't just important for girls; little boys need positive female role models, too.

So they try to make Wonder Woman, and let's say they screw it up with the usual bullshit (i.e. "rape is character development!"). Do we throw up our hands and say, "Welp, they tried"? No. You demand they try it again. And try until they get it right. Look how many times Superman and Batman have gotten movies, even when some of the efforts were terrible. We need Wonder Woman. We need to keep her in her rightful place among the Big 3, even if it takes more than one try.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The awful thing is, WB makes these shitty movies and people flock to them. They just want to see things go boom. So long as that's the demand, WB will supply it. They may even see grit and fire superhero movies as their side of the superhero movie thing.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

So they try to make Wonder Woman, and let's say they screw it up with the usual bullshit (i.e. "rape is character development!"). Do we throw up our hands and say, "Welp, they tried"? No. You demand they try it again. And try until they get it right. Look how many times Superman and Batman have gotten movies, even when some of the efforts were terrible. We need Wonder Woman. We need to keep her in her rightful place among the Big 3, even if it takes more than one try.
Hey keep up the good fight, but I am rather cynical about it right now as you can obviously see.

I think my brain is just still stinging from the fact they gave Zack Snyder the JUSTICE LEAGUE. It makes me want to cry.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Fingers crossed they change their minds. :drunk:

Krisken

Krisken

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

They're just moving right along now, aren't they?

http://www.superherohype.com/news/3...edly-developing-9-additional-dc-comics-movies

Warner Bros. has announced 9 additional films based on DC properties. Although two of them are Sandman and Fables (so they won't be part of the Justice League business), that leaves 7 other films on the way that will presumably be tied to Justice League.

Espy

Espy

Well, that seems wise, the super hero boom won't last forever.

UNLESS ZACH SNYDER MAKES ALL TIME GO IN SLO-MO FOREVER.

Covar

Covar

Well, that seems wise, the super hero boom won't last forever.

UNLESS ZACH SNYDER MAKES ALL TIME GO IN SLO-MO FOREVER.
:Leyla:

Espy

Espy

But really, I believe marvel has a 14 year plan for movies so DC announcing something like this isn't weird.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

But really, I believe marvel has a 14 year plan for movies so DC announcing something like this isn't weird.
This. If Avengers 2 makes money, then we have a good long while before these movies go away. Hell, it's almost been 5 years since Ironman started all of this off... we've got AT LEAST another 5.

mikerc

mikerc

Although two of them are Sandman and Fables
Both of those would work a lot better as TV shows than movies.

Covar

Covar

I'm not so sure about Fables. That was my original thought, but hearing about all the trouble Once Upon A Time has had with keeping minor characters I think something with a larger cast is probably best done at once, unless you're going to have a producer who's really good with managing talent and filming schedules.

Espy

Espy

Eh, I think both could and will work great as movies. If done well, and I mean, REALLY well they could be amazing movies.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Both of those would work a lot better as TV shows than movies.
They've been trying to do a Death: The High Cost of Living movie for YEARS. If this is what it takes to make it happen, then so be it.

fade

fade

This. If Avengers 2 makes money, then we have a good long while before these movies go away. Hell, it's almost been 5 years since Ironman started all of this off... we've got AT LEAST another 5.
Really it was the Sam Raimi Spider-Man that started it off 13 years ago.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Six years ago. 2008. And Iron Man wasn't alone--he had the movie everyone forgets about.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Really it was the Sam Raimi Spider-Man that started it off 13 years ago.
I thought X-Men in 2000 was the blockbuster that got everything rolling? Spider-Man followed up in 2002.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I thought X-Men in 2000 was the blockbuster that got everything rolling? Spider-Man followed up in 2002.
It was kind of a one-two-three punch of Blade (which re-opened the doors for superheroes), X-Men (which showed they could be done well, again), and Spider-Man (which showed you could make STUPID amounts of money).

Espy

Espy

Man, the first two Blade films were (in my memory) really awesome. Then in the third one Blade went to prison for not paying taxes right? #THANKSOBAMA

Celt Z

Celt Z

It was kind of a one-two-three punch of Blade (which re-opened the doors for superheroes), X-Men (which showed they could be done well, again), and Spider-Man (which showed you could make STUPID amounts of money).
I wouldn't say Blade re-opened the door since there were successful superhero movies throughout in the 90's (mostly Batman, but there was still the TMNT franchise, The Crow, The Mask, etc.), but it was the first modest success Marvel had on the big screen. I think it was Marvel's way of dipping their toe in the waters that had been dominated by DC and independent comic adaptations for the prior 20 years and seeing if they could have some success with a smaller, more budget-friendly title than their previous big-name flops.

fade

fade

Ah right I couldn't remember if xmen or spidey came first and didn't look it up.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Back when Blade came out, I actually had no idea it was based on a comic. I doubt I'm alone in not having known this. To me, Blade succeeded not because it was a good comic book movie, but because it was a pretty solid vampire action flick.

Covar

Covar

Back when Blade came out, I actually had no idea it was based on a comic. I doubt I'm alone in not having known this. To me, Blade succeeded not because it was a good comic book movie, but because it was a pretty solid vampire action flick.
With sunscreen. Easily the worst part in the entire movie.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I wouldn't say Blade re-opened the door since there were successful superhero movies throughout in the 90's (mostly Batman, but there was still the TMNT franchise, The Crow, The Mask, etc.), but it was the first modest success Marvel had on the big screen. I think it was Marvel's way of dipping their toe in the waters that had been dominated by DC and independent comic adaptations for the prior 20 years and seeing if they could have some success with a smaller, more budget-friendly title than their previous big-name flops.
There was something a lull in superhero movies after that period, though. The Mask and The Crow were both in '94. Batman & Robin came out in '97, which made many people - most especially movie studios - hesitant to try superhero movies again. Then Marvel started putting out their movies. Blade got the ball rolling, then X-Men kicked down the door, with Spidey close behind holding big bags of money.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I can't help but feel like DC is late to the party, though.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I can't help but feel like DC is late to the party, though.
Marvel's plan has come in steps and feels earned; DC's is kind of just throwing things out there they hope will work.

Celt Z

Celt Z

There was something a lull in superhero movies after that period, though. The Mask and The Crow were both in '94. Batman & Robin came out in '97, which made many people - most especially movie studios - hesitant to try superhero movies again. Then Marvel started putting out their movies. Blade got the ball rolling, then X-Men kicked down the door, with Spidey close behind holding big bags of money.
Actually, according to this, there were multiple superhero movies released every year of the 90's. except for 1992, 1998 (Blade year!) and 1999, when there was only one each. On the other hand, unless they had the word "Batman", "Ninja Turtle" or "Mask" in the title, they were low-performing and forgettable, so you're not really far-off in your assessment. But I would also agree that Blade's surprise performance probably bolstered Marvel's hopes to get back into the movie game.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Actually, according to this, there were multiple superhero movies released every year of the 90's. except for 1992, 1998 (Blade year!) and 1999, when there was only one each. On the other hand, unless they had the word "Batman", "Ninja Turtle" or "Mask" in the title, they were low-performing and forgettable, so you're not really far-off in your assessment. But I would also agree that Blade's surprise performance probably bolstered Marvel's hopes to get back into the movie game.
I think part of the reason why people don't think of a lot of those movies is because they don't really fit the "idea" of a modern super hero.

The Shadow and the Phantom are from an entire other age, form when superheros were on radio and in the newspaper. The Rocketeer had that same kind of feel to it as well.
Darkman and the Crow were very much 90's anti-heroes.
Barbwire and Tank Girl were kind of endemic of everything wrong with women in 90's comics... also, they didn't do much of anything "super". Having a tank is not a super power.
The Meteor Man and Blankman were basically parodies of superhero movies. The Mask is basically only a step above these and he wasn't even a hero in the comics.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I had actually typed-in "comic book movies" and found this list, so I think we're over-lapping superhero/comic books in this case. You could also say Blade and Spawn were"anti-heroes" as well. The point still stands that in the 90's, they were throwing ANYTHING comic book/superhero related at the wall and trying to see what would stick. Looking back at that list, they seemed much more willing to take a chance on some wild ideas, far more so than the standard fare of the past 14 years. Too bad most of it was terrible.

(Confession: I liked Tank Girl, both the movie and the comic. I wouldn't say it a good movie, but it had moments I really enjoyed. It was very 90's, and I kinda liked that it bucked the system on what a female hero was. Also, it was the precursor to the Gorillaz. But those kangaroo people? No.)

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'm trying to think of a comic-based movie that strayed further from the source than The Mask.

I'm coming up blank.

Covar

Covar

Men In Black

Celt Z

Celt Z

Man of Steel :troll:

Bowielee

Bowielee

I loved Tank Girl. Was it a GOOD movie? Nope. Was it a FUN movie? You bet your ass.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm trying to think of a comic-based movie that strayed further from the source than The Mask.

I'm coming up blank.
Eh, I don't know. They had some of the characters from the comic. The cop following Ipkiss (Sgt. Callahan) was in the comic and even wore the mask himself for a story arc. They also lifted a few things, like the attack on the car repair guys.

Mystery Men strayed pretty far from its original source. As far as I know, they never had a comic of their own and only made appearances in The Flaming Carrot. Also, Mystery Men rocked and I don't care who says otherwise.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen strayed quite a bit, though it did carry over some of the core members of the team.

And let's be honest. If ANYTHING strayed the most from the original source, it was Catwoman.

Frank

Frank

Errybody reading Cracked up in here.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

And let's be honest. If ANYTHING strayed the most from the original source, it was Catwoman.
Actually, I'm gonna agree with @Covar on this one. Men in Black went from a story about facists controlling information from the public by any means possible (There's one scene where K uses his neuralizer to turn a kid into a rooftop sniper at 19, just to keep the truth hidden) to a family friendly government organization. The MiB weren't ever supposed to be heroes, kind of like The Mask.

Covar

Covar

Learning about the MiB Comic was a huge disappointment.
Errybody reading Cracked up in here.
God no. My post was the first thing that popped up in my head, probably because of it being roughly the same time period.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I remember being surprised at how hardcore MiB: Far Cry was, in the single issue that came out. I had just seen the movie, and assumed that the comic would be more of the same. I liked it, though.

evilmike

evilmike

First look at the Batmobile for the new movie (and presumably Batman as well)

(via Jalopnik)

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Raw-Bin.png

"RAW-BIN!!"

Bowielee

Bowielee

So... I wonder if the new movie just pretends the Nolan ones never happened, or if they really are going to try to haphazardly world build.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Wow, that almost looks like a Batman costume. Unlike all the other movie versions over the last 30 years.