[Movies] The DC Cinematic Universe - The David Zazlav Dumpster Fire.

I just watched Return of the Joker.

That shit holds up.

It also might be one of the last times vehicles were hand animated in anything western.

The opening theme is so good and is exactly my jam. Just a shredding guitar with both electronic and orchestral backing.

Someone once joked that the early DCEU movies weren't the origins of our favourite superheroes. They were, in fact, secretly the origins of the Crime Syndicate (Ultraman, Owlman, etc), and we were actually on Earth-3 the whole time.

I gotta admit, that would've been kinda brilliant.

Someone once joked that the early DCEU movies weren't the origins of our favourite superheroes. They were, in fact, secretly the origins of the Crime Syndicate (Ultraman, Owlman, etc), and we were actually on Earth-3 the whole time.

I gotta admit, that would've been kinda brilliant.
Wouldn't have worked for the full on bad guys Crime Syndicate, but there's always the Justice Lords.

Wouldn't have worked for the full on bad guys Crime Syndicate, but there's always the Justice Lords.
True, though like the MCU, you can always use original comic ideas and tweak them to fit the movie(s). For as great as the MCU is, they take a LOT of liberties with the source material.

True, though like the MCU, you can always use original comic ideas and tweak them to fit the movie(s). For as great as the MCU is, they take a LOT of liberties with the source material.
Sure, but that would be like making the Red Skull not be a nazi (even if they avoided the word), or Tony Stark be made of 90% brain matter... and the MCU has been great because they didn't take any big liberties with the spirit of the characters.

Sure, but that would be like making the Red Skull not be a nazi (even if they avoided the word), or Tony Stark be made of 90% brain matter... and the MCU has been great because they didn't take any big liberties with the spirit of the characters.
Counterpoint: The Mandarin, Spider-Man (especially his supporting cast), Guardians of the Galaxy (especially Yondo, Ego, Gamora, Star-Lord), Ultron. Not to mention many liberties taken on the original stories to make them fit with the MCU (Civil War, Extremis, Infinity War). I love the MCU, but it's a VERY different beast from the comics in a lot of ways.

GasBandit

Staff member
Counterpoint: The Mandarin, Spider-Man (especially his supporting cast), Guardians of the Galaxy (especially Yondo, Ego, Gamora, Star-Lord), Ultron. Not to mention many liberties taken on the original stories to make them fit with the MCU (Civil War, Extremis, Infinity War). I love the MCU, but it's a VERY different beast from the comics in a lot of ways.
And they've done it mostly to good effect. That Zemo was just a regular sokovian dude instead of a timeless supernazi swashbuckler was kind of a nice twist for those expecting the comic stuff.

And they've done it mostly to good effect. That Zemo was just a regular sokovian dude instead of a timeless supernazi swashbuckler was kind of a nice twist for those expecting the comic stuff.
Exactly. He fit perfectly within the Manchurian Candidate style of Captain America that the Russos were doing. And really, the changes they've made, except for The Mandarian, haven't really been losses. Star-Lord and Yondu are infinitely more interesting thanks to Chris Pratt and Michael Rooker.

While they've taken many liberties with the source material, it still feels like the Marvel Universe that people are familiar with. You can't say that for Snyder's DCU. Though that's getting better with Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam.

Exactly. He fit perfectly within the Manchurian Candidate style of Captain America that the Russos were doing. And really, the changes they've made, except for The Mandarian, haven't really been losses. Star-Lord and Yondu are infinitely more interesting thanks to Chris Pratt and Michael Rooker.

While they've taken many liberties with the source material, it still feels like the Marvel Universe that people are familiar with. You can't say that for Snyder's DCU. Though that's getting better with Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam.
From some of the short film stuff they put out (All Hail The King), it's very clear that the ACTUAL Mandarin is kinda pissed about what happened in Iron-Man 3. He's going to show up in Shang-Chi, so we'll see if they can do that character justice this time.

From some of the short film stuff they put out (All Hail The King), it's very clear that the ACTUAL Mandarin is kinda pissed about what happened in Iron-Man 3. He's going to show up in Shang-Chi, so we'll see if they can do that character justice this time.
Ah, that's true! I forgot about both of those points. Even still, it feels like a "fix" after doing such a dirty to the Mandarin. On the other hand, the original Mandarin is a bad walking Asian stereotype and it probably wouldn't play well in their second biggest market, China.

Beside the Mandarin, ( and Yondu, i guess, i wasn't that familiar with him ), all of them, and all of the stories still feel like alternate versions of the characters, even when they're more on the funny side, like Star-Lord.

Changing their parentage and stuff like that isn't going against their spirit imo. Those are just details, like if Ma and Pa Kent are still alive or not. that's not what makes Kal Superman...

Well, no it doesn't, the problem wasn't how he died, it's that Clarks lets it happen. Esp. since he could have just let the 'nado take them both and just say they got lucky landing ok.
"Yeah, the tornado picked us both up and blew us halfway across the county! It was all we could do to hold on to each other! Lucky for us we landed in the only pillow factory in all of Kansas!"

"Yeah, the tornado picked us both up and blew us halfway across the county! It was all we could do to hold on to each other! Lucky for us we landed in the only pillow factory in all of Kansas!"
If it can land a whole house on a wicked witch without damaging it, it can handle 2 little people.

It makes it WAY more interesting to me funnily enough. Curious to see what they do with a multiverse.

I mean it's only taken it from a 0 to maybe I'll watch it one day on Netflix but still.

Last edited: