[Movies] The DC Cinematic Universe - The David Zazlav Dumpster Fire.

How bad must a movie be in order for a streaming service to not want additional content?
At the budget they paid for it, it's entirely possible they'll make more from just the tax write-offs than they potentially could from a theatrical or streaming release. However, my best guess is that they have a better Batgirl/Batwoman script in the pipeline that is less... Snyder-verseish and they want to make that one be the big release instead.

Alternatively, they really could just be idiots and not think people will see a Batgirl movie after Birds of Prey didn't do great.

I doubt it has anything to do with quality and Discovery flexing it's absolute control and being as stingy as possible.

I doubt it has anything to do with quality and Discovery flexing it's absolute control and being as stingy as possible.
NY Post reporting that test audiences were basically trashing the entire movie. Still don’t understand why they’re going forward with releasing The Flash though.

I don't believe it has anything to do with quality, like Blots said. They're just ripping WB apart.

Apparently HBO Max is done with scripted TV and they're firing 70% of the staff, so no more Harley Quinn, Peacemaker, etc.

I have Max through Crave here in Canada and I will drop it so fast if it's just Discovery+ now that gets funded.

James Gunn has apparently said that Peacemaker Season 2 is safe. But they also just cancelled a completed movie, so...

I only subscribe for the DC stuff (and Our Flag Means Death), so if they cancel those I have no reason to stay.

I'm expecting riots if they cancel OFMD.

Ok, so...I'm not watching any of those, except Harley Quinn, but if I look around, judging on my friends, family, relations, colleagues, etc? They'd be better off nixing everything in the "safe" pile and keeping everything in the "'not safe" pile, rather than the other way around.

Dave

Staff member
Gotta say the ones on the right are of higher quality than the ones on the left with the exception of Barry. But even though I don't watch Euphoria, there's a special place in my...uh...heart for Sydney Sweeney. I watched Voyeur on a whim and even though the movie sucked, holy fuckballs. Made me feel like a dirty old man.

Now hearing that the upcoming Supergirl movie has also been canned.
I've learned that their CEO David Zaslav is a right wing Trump supporter, too. And with that information, a lot of other things click into place about the decisions. I get the feeling anything considered "woke" to people like him are on the chopping block. So Blue Beetle is probably done, too.

Also this:

Everything else aside... Since when is "white" written with a capital letter? It's not a nationality or religion. It's a color.
I saw it coming a while back when I noticed news sites were starting to capitalize "black"

WB => "White Boys"
This means they're going to have their own media arm soon, doesn't it. They won't need Fox & OAN. They'll just fire up the WB for whatever they need, with an entire studio & effects team to realize whatever message they want.

--Patrick

@PatrThom
HBO Originals (Presumably Safe)
  • Succession
  • House of the Dragon (upcoming)
  • The Last of Us (upcoming)
  • Euphoria
  • True Detective
  • Barry
  • Curb Your Enthusiasm
  • The Righteous Gemstones
  • Westworld
  • The White Lotus
  • The Nevers
  • Industry
  • The Gilded Age
HBO Max Originals (Presumably Not Safe)
  • Our Flag Means Death
  • Gossip Girl
  • Pretty Little Liars: Original Sin
  • Hacks
  • Warrior
  • Titans
  • Doom Patrol
  • Harley Quinn
  • Peacemaker (but James Gunn has said season 2 is safe)
  • The Penguin Batman Spin-Off (upcoming)
  • Arkham Batman Spin-Off (upcoming)
  • Minx
  • Rap Sh!t
  • Tokyo Vice
  • Fboy Island
  • And Just Like That
  • The Sex Lives of College Girls
  • The Flight Attendant
(Forbes)

I wish I could rename this thread again.

Not sure what, but something like "The DC Cinematic Universe: Now a Complete Dumpster Fire."

I'm sure someone else could give it something better.

Just remembered the Clone High revival was supposed to be going to Max, can't find any info at this time regarding it's ultimate fate.

Apparently they have a "10 year plan" for DC content on the service, focusing on what they've done for Black Adam, Shazam: Battle of the Gods, and Aquaman 2. I believe it when I see it.

As for Venture Brothers... the movie is still on track, as far as James Urbaniak knows. They already recorded everything.