The difference between...

Status
Not open for further replies.
At a recent conference of science and mathematics, a physicist, a mathematician, an engineer, and a statistician were all staying on the same floor of their hotel.

The engineer woke up in the middle of the night to find his trash can had started on fire. He jumped out of bed, quickly filled his ice bucket with water, extinguished the flames, and went back to sleep.

A little later, the physicist woke up and also discovered his trash can to be ablaze. He paused for a moment, pulled out his slide rule, and made a few quick calculations. He filled up his ice bucket with exactly 1/2 liter of water and used it to extinguish the fire, and then went back to sleep.

Shortly after, the mathematician was awoken and his trash can was also on fire. He grabbed a piece of paper and a pen and frantically scribbled out pages and pages of equations. When he found the solution he went to bed, comfortable just knowing that the solution existed.

And the statistician? He was found running around lighting other people's trash cans on fire because he needed a bigger sample size.

R

Roxxoredizorz

An infinite amount of mathematicians walk into a bar...

The first one goes to the bartender and says "I'll have a mug of beer"
The second one goes to the bartender and says "I'll have half a mug of beer"
The third one orders a quarter, fourth an eighth, and so on and so forth.

Finally after eight the bartender says "Screw it" pours two mugs and leaves.

Z

Zarvox

Roxxoredizorz said:
An infinite amount of mathematicians walk into a bar...

The first one goes to the bartender and says "I'll have a mug of beer"
The second one goes to the bartender and says "I'll have half a mug of beer"
The third one orders a quarter, fourth an eighth, and so on and so forth.

Finally after eight the bartender says "Screw it" pours two mugs and leaves.
Excellent, sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.