The Falcon and The Winter Soldier Spoiler Thread

Just as WandaVision I can only imagine that when this series gets really going it's going to spark an entire thread of thoughts.

First Episode is a very different feel from WandaVision. We're back to the spy movie feel of the C.A. movies.

So far I'm impressed with the action sequences. It's plot is moving a little slow but I do like the drama.
It gives a much more bleaker depiction of billions of people coming back from the blip all at once and the ramifications of that. WandaVision touched on it but this series is definitely exploring the crap the world would realistically go through in a lot more detail.

I feel like, after this year, the post-"Blip" events are much closer to reality here than in Spider-Man: Far From Home or WandaVision. Probably because at the time they were written, we could only laugh at the idea of a world-shaking event, but those scenes at the bank? Ouch, too real.

Also, emotional whiplash: the opening, as Sam gets ready, gave me Endgame heartache all over again, but Not!Steve makes me want to punch him in his smarmy face. So angry.

I really liked it. It's obviously more grounded (as in "less weird") than WandaVision and more in line with the Winter Soldier film.

LOVED that opening action sequence.

It's interesting that Bucky is a man out of time like Steve, but with the added layer of guilt for his actions. My heart broke when I realized how the old man meant to him. Also really liked the counseling session.

I don't think it'll be as out-there as WandaVision and I don't think we'll get a twist as jaw-dropping as Evan Peters appearing. I think it'll be more...maybe not predictable, but more straight forward. Which is fine, too. Going by this first episode, I think it'll be great for its own reasons: being a more grounded superhero spy-ish story.

Mackie and Stan have such great chemistry together. Also can't get over how much Wyatt looks like his dad. Even the same lip curl. (Still want to punch him, tho'.)

If last week's bank scene was heartbreaking, Baltimore was devastating for its reality. I'm glad Disney isn't shying away from calling out casual racism bullshit. I'm glad they also brought back Isaiah Bradley. I remember when those comics were announces in the early 2000's, and given the history the US government and military had on experimenting on black men, it made a lot of sense.

Another thought, something I forgot to mention until I saw someone else make the same observation: it was jarring and uncomfortable to see Walker pull out a gun and start shooting at people. Yes, Steve did use guns, particularly in The First Avenger when his powers were new. But the longer he was" Cap", the more he relied on his shield and just himself. I know this was done on purpose to further the divide between real Captain America and US Agent, but still... bleah.

Another thought, something I forgot to mention until I saw someone else make the same observation: it was jarring and uncomfortable to see Walker pull out a gun and start shooting at people. Yes, Steve did use guns, particularly in The First Avenger when his powers were new. But the longer he was" Cap", the more he relied on his shield and just himself. I know this was done on purpose to further the divide between real Captain America and US Agent, but still... bleah.
Funny enough, a lot of people had a similar reaction when Bucky had a sidearm while he was Cap.

Honestly, even Steve using a gun never bothered me that much. He's a soldier. I think the fact that he's SUPER soldier, with powers, gives him a major advantage to the point he doesn't need guns.

Guys like Walker and Bucky, though, don't have any powers so they need that extra advantage just to compete at Steve's level.

Funny enough, a lot of people had a similar reaction when Bucky had a sidearm while he was Cap.

Honestly, even Steve using a gun never bothered me that much. He's a soldier. I think the fact that he's SUPER soldier, with powers, gives him a major advantage to the point he doesn't need guns.

Guys like Walker and Bucky, though, don't have any powers so they need that extra advantage just to compete at Steve's level.
I guess it was more of the context? Like, they're trying to figure out who these guys really are and what are they up to, and eh, just shoot as them. To me, it just amplified the widening gap between Steve and Walker. (Also, I'm solely referring to MCU Cap when I talk about the gun thing. Comics Cap is a different story, and less uncommon for him.)

I guess it was more of the context? Like, they're trying to figure out who these guys really are and what are they up to, and eh, just shoot as them. To me, it just amplified the widening gap between Steve and Walker. (Also, I'm solely referring to MCU Cap when I talk about the gun thing. Comics Cap is a different story, and less uncommon for him.)
Sorry, I didn't meant to come across as Comicsplaining there. Just found the issue with using a gun interestingly similar to reactions to when Bucky did.

Had a couple problems with the episode. I know that the terrorists had to get away but I don't like the heroes accomplishing nothing during the fight. Also the terrorists magically appearing on the top of the trucks was just silly.

Also didn't like how Falcon and Bucky acted this episode. Every interaction with New Cap they were just brats. Like I get it you don't like that the US government commissioned a new Captain that doesn't mean you get to be a dick to a guy who just risked his life to save you.

Course some of that might be that I really like the actor playing New Cap. But I'll stand by that Bucky and Falcon being pissy is just a real punk move.

Also seems way too soon to be telegraphing that the flagsmashers are good people. I think that the heroes kinda suffered when they spent so much time on the flagsmashers adventures.

Had a couple problems with the episode. I know that the terrorists had to get away but I don't like the heroes accomplishing nothing during the fight. Also the terrorists magically appearing on the top of the trucks was just silly.

Also didn't like how Falcon and Bucky acted this episode. Every interaction with New Cap they were just brats. Like I get it you don't like that the US government commissioned a new Captain that doesn't mean you get to be a dick to a guy who just risked his life to save you.

Course some of that might be that I really like the actor playing New Cap. But I'll stand by that Bucky and Falcon being pissy is just a real punk move.

Also seems way too soon to be telegraphing that the flagsmashers are good people. I think that the heroes kinda suffered when they spent so much time on the flagsmashers adventures.
I have the opposite reaction as you. New Cap is so nice... I hate him.

Based on comic depictions of Walker and US Patriot I think New Cap is going to be tempted by the Power Broker's wares in an effort to be worthy of the Captain America name.

From what I saw, US Agent has been augmented. The jerk behaviour is the trouble with the drug addiction part of the augmentation. Remember hiw he tested off the charts physically and was able to go toe to toe with an augment? Thinking Power Broker is the big enemy, or a good way to introduce more augments for the good guys to fight.

I was happy to see GSP aka Batroc ze Leaper again and I'm glad he didn't just get Crossbone'd.

Sam should start a go-fund me. Black people getting turned down for a loan despite helping to save Quadrillions (or more) of lives is the most realistic part of this show.

Last edited:
For a large part of this episode, I was convinced Sharon Carter was the Power Broker, and I'm still not completely unconvinced.
That would explain why she’s so well off. And also why that scene was so weirdly edited. I thought they just wanted to establish her as an elite member of society for no reason whatsoever.

On one hand, making her Power Broker would give Sharon more to do, with SHIELD being defunct and all. On the otherhand, WandaVision has taught us not to expect every trail of breadcrumbs is going to lead to something.

First episode that was bad. I really love spy films and this episode was basically a bunch of children playing spy film. And then it was just super rushed throughout.

Yeah, I wasn't crazy about this episode.

Honestly, I find I'm not as jazzed to watch this like WandaVision. I'm still enjoying it for the most part, but I'm not as glued to the TV like WandaVision. Which isn't really a fair comparison since they're entirely different kinds of shows. But I find I have zero interest in the Flag Smashers. And I was looking at my phone a lot during this episode because I just wasn't enthralled by it.

I don't think it's BAD, mind you. I think I'm unfairly comparing it with WandaVision which was brilliantly subversive at times. This is more grounded, by the numbers stuff. Which I expected, since it's more of a grounded spy thriller by design. But I find I'm caring less and less about this story.

Looking back on it there was a lot that I did not like about this episode. A few already touched on by some folks here.

* The overall pacing on this one is way too quick.
* A lot of massive plot points are completely glossed over.
* Bucky breaks Zemo out of prison and not even for a very good reason.
* Sam has no idea what the hell this pirate island thing is despite being on the run from the law for 2 years. You'd think International Criminal 101 would have Madripoor as the first lesson.
* Zemo was a great sympathetic villain in Civil War. But here he just seems like a rich asshat.
* The boys play spy and its painful to watch Sam struggle through it.
* Sharon Carter comes out of nowhere to save them. Her placement in high society makes me worry she will be revealed as the Power Broker which honestly wouldn't make any sense as far as motive. Plus then the audience has to deal with such a good character becoming a ruthless villain for no reason and I think most folks won't like it.
* They promise Sharon to get her a pardon despite the fact that they are clearly walking around with a super criminal that they just sprung from a Germany prison. I don't really think they, and especially Sharon, would believe they have any kind of pull after that one. Plus, it also acknowledges it as fact that despite Sam, Bucky and Cap all getting pardons for everything that happened no one remembered to do the same for Sharon? That's messed up.