The Kickstarter Bonanza - Everything Edition

I would like to point out that this KS predates the Gillette ad by an entire week.
But oh, it's so very timely.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
My friend Chrysa has a Kickstarter up making enamel pins of keyblades from Kingdom Hearts:

This is not her first time making enamel pins. Her designs are beautiful, and she's successfully delivered product before, so I feel confident she'll be able to do the same again.

FYI, it's the last day (ish, 30 hours left) of this year's Rifftrax kickstarter (this year revisiting MST3K's Giant Spider Invasion and new riffs for Octaman and Star Raiders) - it's already fully funded, but they're going for backer number-based stretch goals now. As in the past, they have a dealio where even a $1 pledge will get you 10 riffed shorts (or credit if you already own them) from already-unlocked stretch goals. :D

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm not sure if anyone on the forums is a Super Monkey Ball fan, but if anyone is:

And the YouTube video that made me aware of the project:

Hmm...

The art style reminds me a lot of the mid- to late-70's.
And the writing looks... irreverent? Yes, I think that's a good word for it.

--Patrick

If they are the enemy of the worker, then they are the enemy of the whole. I don't have any kickstarters going now, and I won't start any until this man is gone.

Technically not a KS, but it's still a pitch I thought at least someone around here would find it of interest.

Would've been easier to take it seriously without the pitch shift, though.

--Patrick

So, you know I like my little Metal Earth models. So when I saw something similar on Kickstarter, I hadda get it.

Like the Metal Earth, these things come as printed PCBs pre-cut..you just free them from the sheet they're printed on, and assemble. The difference: These are little 'robots', and you have to know/learn how to solder to build them. They have sensors, leds, and can move via that vibration/wobble thing without any actual moving parts or servos. My kit arrived today, and looks pretty sharp. I haven't built one yet, but will update when I do.

Last edited:
I kind of assume those most likely to be interested (@GasBandit ) are probably already aware, but just in case anyone may have missed it;
Darkest Dungeon: the Board Game is on Kickstarter. I thought i'd seen it here already but if so, I can't find the post for it anymore, so here it is again.
1-4 player roguelike cooperative game; lots of unpainted miniatures; $100 or $150 with expansion.

GasBandit

Staff member
I cannot fathom paying $100-$150 for ANY boardgame for any reason that I could voice in polite company. But I wish them luck.

I cannot fathom paying $100-$150 for ANY boardgame for any reason that I could voice in polite company. But I wish them luck.
72 miniatures, 400 cards, 32 custom dice, and that's before counting the stretch goals.
I agree that it's pretty steep, and I have problems paying that much for a board game, too... But considering all the components, it's a pretty fair price - comparable to Gloomhaven, the Ghostbusters game, etc.

GasBandit

Staff member
72 miniatures, 400 cards, 32 custom dice, and that's before counting the stretch goals.
I agree that it's pretty steep, and I have problems paying that much for a board game, too... But considering all the components, it's a pretty fair price - comparable to Gloomhaven, the Ghostbusters game, etc.
And $200k might be a fair price for a Lambo, but I'd also never consider buying one of those either ;)

There are a bunch of people on this forum that are super into board games, or minis, but Gas is neither of them.

I wasn't even interested when I saw board cames coming out at video game price points ($60+) a few years ago.

Last edited:
Yeah but its Heroquest. If you think its a good game, that's the nostalgia talking. Hasbro isn't using a crowdfunding model for no reason. They know the game would never sell for that price if they released it through their normal model. They are counting on nostalgia to overcome the price tag. And while we are at it they aren't even using a reputable crowdsourcing site, but instead one they created just for this project.

I'll pass and go play Gloomhaven instead.

I wasn't event interested when I saw board cames coming out at video game price points ($60+) a few years ago.
Fair point but I counter that a $60 boardgame is going to continue to be playable for the length of time you own it, video games (especially system specific ones ) your mileage may vary.

Plus, just like video games, board games go on sale often so you are far more likely to pay 40ish dollars for that $60 game.

Yeah but its Heroquest. If you think its a good game, that's the nostalgia talking. Hasbro isn't using a crowdfunding model for no reason. They know the game would never sell for that price if they released it through their normal model. They are counting on nostalgia to overcome the price tag. And while we are at it they aren't even using a reputable crowdsourcing site, but instead one they created just for this project.

I'll pass and go play Gloomhaven instead.
I'm talking about the DD Kickstarter, not about the Heroquest fundraiser, though ;)

I agree with you about HQ. While I enjoyed playing it and it was a good way to introduce RPGs 20 years ago, there are other, better games doing the same these days.

There are a bunch of people on this forum that are super into board games, or minis, but Gas is neither of them.
True, but he was into DD for quite a while :) I'm no Google algorithm, I'm allowed to guess wrong about what may interest who:p

GasBandit

Staff member
I own Heroquest. I didn't buy it (it was a gift) but I'm fairly sure that when it was released, it was not $100+.

Edit: oh, I see, we got our kickstarters mixed up.

So I was in on the Oglaf kickstarter. After a short delay due to Covid, the books and stickers and Jack Chick-style Sithrak tracts arrived today. I expected my wife to roll her eyes at me, and she did. But I showed her some of the prints and tracts, and said she could read the books while I was out at the grocery store getting stuff for deviled eggs.

30 minutes later, I get back and she's still reading. So, kickstarter win and minor victory!

Dave

Staff member
Looks pretty neat for quick, detailed map creation:

Two things.

1. I just backed this. Only the second thing I ever backed. The first thing I never received...
2. I have an additional copy of DungeonDraft that is also an easy map making program. If anyone wants it. I'm going to post it in another thread as well as it really doesn't fit here.