The Kickstarter Bonanza - Everything Edition

My friend Sam Owen, who drew the two comic strip gags I wrote, is doing a Kickstarter right now for a manga-style series. He's really struggling to hit his goal and I'd really like to see him hit it.

He's also currently on Hour 5 of a 24-hour Twitch stream to raise awareness for the Kickstarter. At the moment, he's on a warpath of drawing Garfield in various forms. As of this moment, he's drawing Shin Garfzilla. I challenged him to do Garfzilla vs Mecha-Garfzilla, and promised to double my pledge if he does it.

Last edited:
And it looks like I'll be jumping onto his stream in about half an hour from now. Mostly just to give him someone to talk to and keep him motivated to keep going. And because I really want to support his work.

Aaaaaaaand as a thank you for upping my pledge earlier, Darren Vogt, another artist on this project, just gave me this sketch.

When I bugged people for Dill sketches years ago, I wish I thought of the short hand description of "Think Harvey Bullock from the Batman Animated Series, but as a 9-banded armadillo." It's SO much easier than whatever cockamamie long-winded description I'd stutter out.

Darren Vogt - Dilbert.jpg

When I bugged people for Dill sketches years ago, I wish I thought of the short hand description of "Think Harvey Bullock from the Batman Animated Series, but as a 9-banded armadillo." It's SO much easier than whatever cockamamie long-winded description I'd stutter out.
IIRC, when I called him "Peter Falk as Columbo, but an armadillo," you said "yeah." :D

IIRC, when I called him "Peter Falk as Columbo, but an armadillo," you said "yeah." :D
You know, thinking about that, I'm actually not sure if I agree with that now. Columbo is far too polite, more into tricking his suspects into admitting guilt, usually with his "Just one more thing..."

Dill more stumbles through a case, gets his ass handed to him at every step, plays dirty and mean, and usually lucks into solving it by making an ass of himself.

Dave

Staff member
You know, thinking about that, I'm actually not sure if I agree with that now. Columbo is far too polite, more into tricking his suspects into admitting guilt, usually with his "Just one more thing..."

Dill more stumbles through a case, gets his ass handed to him at every step, plays dirty and mean, and usually lucks into solving it by making an ass of himself.
Harry Dresden with scales and a tail.

Weird Satanist (Arby's guy?) has a Kickstarter for his forthcoming movie, Onyx The Fortuitous and the Talisman of Souls. I'dun'o. Onyx is pretty cool.
So, I backed this..it made it's goal. They just recently announced some of the cast.

Olivia Taylor Dudley (from the Magicians..my favorite actor in that show. This one makes my heart jump for joy)
Jessica Parker Kennedy (The Flash, Smallville)
Stephnie Weir (Lots of one-shot stuff on TV that I haven't seen, like Veep)
Rivka Reyes (School of Rock)

Reactions: Far
Trying something to get my friend's campaign funded. He's ALMOST at the halfway mark.

I honestly don't think he's going to hit the goal at this point, with only about 16 hours to go, but it's worth trying.

Fastest kickstarter fulfillment ever. Kickstarted Oct 29. Received product this morning. And it works!

Drinking a fine cup of cold brew now, which tastes every bit as good as the coffee from the manual cold brew presses that I used to stick in the fridge over night when I lived in Virginia.

What does that even mean?
It makes as much sense to me as saying, "I just switched my car insurance over to hydrocarbons."

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
What does that even mean?
It makes as much sense to me as saying, "I just switched my car insurance over to hydrocarbons."
I don't get it either, but "the new company will make the tools available for anyone to create a competing crowdfunding site " sounds like a trap. Maybe they're just creating this bullshit version of their site to trap their competitors, and they'll only pretend to make the switch themselves?

Sounds like if they get it up and running and other people use it, they'll make their money on transaction fees.

Fastest kickstarter fulfillment ever. Kickstarted Oct 29. Received product this morning. And it works!

Drinking a fine cup of cold brew now, which tastes every bit as good as the coffee from the manual cold brew presses that I used to stick in the fridge over night when I lived in Virginia.
Been using this thing to have cold-brew coffee every day since I posted. So, about 3 weeks. It's working great. Probably the most satisfying kickstarter I've ever been involved in. I'm a bit of a coffee snob, I guess. I don't really like Starbucks. I don't much care for regular coffee at all.

But you get a nice mild bean, freshly ground, and cold brewed to keep the bitterness and acidity down. Throw in some Cold Stone Creamery creamers and some Truvia (because I can't have sugar)...and I'll drink a 16 ounce glass of this shit in 30 seconds flat and be buzzing for an hour.

(and yes, that means after I got this thing and ran through the pre-ground stuff I bought to test it out, I got a burr grinder so I could buy whole bean coffee. I'm such a hipster sometimes)

Nearly 1 hour later..still spinning. I got the first 9 minutes on video. It's boring, but proof it works :D

I was gonna record for a full 10 minutes, but accidentally hit the stop button while I was moving the phone around.

Last edited:

I don't remember if this was already posted anywhere here, but if so it deserves to be posted again. 15 days to go! Lots of goodies in the tiers/stretch goals, plus the book looks awesome!

So, I backed this..it made it's goal. They just recently announced some of the cast.

Olivia Taylor Dudley (from the Magicians..my favorite actor in that show. This one makes my heart jump for joy)
Jessica Parker Kennedy (The Flash, Smallville)
Stephnie Weir (Lots of one-shot stuff on TV that I haven't seen, like Veep)
Rivka Reyes (School of Rock)
In theaters, Oct 19

1695184521546.jpeg

OMG...my time has come!

(for those who never did the Jackbox nights, I was known for drawing dicks in all of the drawing games...my proudest moment was drawing Gru lying on his back, as if the camera was pointing up toward his balls, and at the reveal, the revulsion on GasBandit's face will forever fill me with glee lolol)

GasBandit

Staff member
(for those who never did the Jackbox nights, I was known for drawing dicks in all of the drawing games...my proudest moment was drawing Gru lying on his back, as if the camera was pointing up toward his balls, and at the reveal, the revulsion on GasBandit's face will forever fill me with glee lolol)
On the one side, I regret not youtubing that reaction... but on the other hand, your art would probably have gotten my account banned :p

I just bought Heroes Unlimited to introduce it to my kids. It is overly complex and I will definitely be simplifying it for actual play.