The LEGO Movie

[CONTAINER][POSTER]
[/POSTER][MOVIE]Title: The LEGO Movie

Genre: [GENRE]Action[/GENRE], [GENRE]Animation[/GENRE], [GENRE]Comedy[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Phil Lord[/DIRECTOR], [DIRECTOR]Chris Miller[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Elizabeth Banks[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Channing Tatum[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Morgan Freeman[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Chris Pratt[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Will Arnett[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Jonah Hill[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Will Ferrell[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Cobie Smulders[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Liam Neeson[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Alison Brie[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Nick Offerman[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Charlie Day[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Dave Franco[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Will Forte[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Anthony Daniels[/ACTOR]

Release Date: [RELEASE]2014-02-07[/RELEASE]

Runtime: [RUNTIME]100[/RUNTIME]

Plot: [PLOT]An ordinary Lego mini-figure, mistakenly thought to be the extraordinary MasterBuilder, is recruited to join a quest to stop an evil Lego tyrant from gluing the universe together.[/PLOT][/MOVIE][/CONTAINER]
[DOUBLEPOST=1391794677,1391794644][/DOUBLEPOST]Seeing this tonight but I hear great things about it.

I saw it last night (of course) and thought it was a lot of fun. The animation is amazing. The choice they made to not deform the bricks to animate them was a very smart choice. I enjoyed most of the humor and there are certainly some laugh out loud moments.

I don't want to go into too much detail because I don't want to spoil anything for anyone.

With all of the details that rush by so quickly, I'm definitely planning to see it again.

The critics seem quite happy with the movie. It currently has a Tomatoscore of 98% and a number of the "fresh" reviews are glowingly positive.

I'm glad to hear this. My wife wants to take me to the latest teen vampire thing, primarily because we are related to the author of the books and boosting the opening weekend numbers gives her a better chance at a second film. I don't think there's an easy way to explain he relation. Mead is married to the brother of my wife's brother in law. Or, my sister in law's brother in law is married to mead. Oh well. It's closer than my relation to George Lucas, you have to go through a third cousin of my grandmother before you get close to him.

My compromise is that we get to watch the Lego movie afterwards to cleanse my palate.

The trailer for the Lego movie is awesome, though, and it expect I'll see it more than once as I take various children out to see it. That was my excuse for watching frozen three times as well...

I'm so glad this is getting good reviews, because I've wanted to see this since the first trailer. I was worried it was going to be one of those movies that look good at first glance, but turn out to be a disappointment. I may actually get to see it tomorrow after snowboarding! *fingers crossed*

Dave

Staff member
This is getting amazing reviews by everyone who sees it. I really want to see it as well!

The trailer for the Lego movie is awesome, though, and it expect I'll see it more than once as I take various children out to see it. That was my excuse for watching frozen three times as well...
Along with putting yourself into debt paying for all your kids' admission. :p

Our theaters are pretty reasonable if you are careful. One has $5 Wednesdays. Another one has a twilight pricing between 4 and 6 pm that's under $5.

Still expensive for the whole family, but we can afford to go to a few movies a year.[DOUBLEPOST=1391805621,1391805588][/DOUBLEPOST]Used to love the drive in when it had price per carful....

It really was great. Tons of the same humor you see in the trailer, but also surprisingly touching scenes that got to me, particularly as a father.

They really must have brainstormed for awhile, because they really perfectly captured so many little things about Legos and how children play with them. It felt like inside jokes, but if you've played with Legos a lot, you'll get them.

First action movie in a long time where I didn't hear a wilhelm scream...

Am I the first person to see this? It was AMAZING. I really really loved the whole third act. It really is a pop culture love letter type movie. And the plot is so paper thin it ALMOST makes me like The Matrix less, but fuck it, there are too many jokes and innovative visual sequences to really dwell on that.

I really enjoyed it! My only complaint is that there has been so many commercials played for this, a lot of the jokes weren't the surprise I would have liked them to be (even though they were funny). But there were still some great surprises, and the ending was a nice, and touching, surprise as well.

And none of us can get "Everything is Awesome" out of our heads, which I didn't realize was Tegan & Sara with The Lonely Island until we got home.

We took my 2+ year old yesterday (parent fail or movie patron fail?). He was probably too young to go but we wanted to see how he would handle it. Right after the trippy scene when Emmit touched the cap, there was a moment of dead silence in the theatre, then my son yelled, "I like this movie!!" It got the biggest laugh of the night.

Fine. The whole thing is fucking spoiled. Happy?

I really enjoyed it. Lots of great laughs and some surprisingly clever, subtle messages. For example, at the beginning, there's a subtle message about blindly following th media and quickly forgetting some major news item because of a great song or the latest episode of "Where's My Pants?" Which is incredibly true. The majority of North American culture care more about the Kardashians - or, ironically, this movie - than whatever major, political news might be occurring. I mention all this because it was surprising to see that in a kids movie bent on basically selling Lego.

I also thought the big reveal - that the whole movie was literally a child playing - was brilliant, not to mention incredibly ballsy for what SHOULD have been an easy, safe cash-in movie. I would assume, like myself, that most adults saw it coming a mile away but I bet this was like a "I AM YOUR FATHER!" moment for kids. It wasn't just that it was a twist for twist sake, though, but really played into the idea of how some adults have kind of taken over the toy market in terms of collecting and trying to make it their own. That's generalizing, but you get the idea. What's most interesting is that as a result, Batman becomes the cornerstone of the movie's theme. He's the iconic, once kid-friendly superhero who has become dark, brooding, serious, and adult aimed at a much older audience. So the end message of the movie basically saying, "No no, you can have your toys AND have fun with them, too!" was great.

Animation-wise, I really must tip my hat to the creators and animators for just taking the Lego concept and just running with it as hard as possible. At first, I thought the character movements were stiff, but then I realized that was 100% intentional. It was jarring when we went from reality back to the animated world because I'd suddenly become used to realistic movement again after an hour of purposefully stiff animation.

So yeah, really enjoyed this movie a lot. If I had the money, I'd be going to see it again.

Last edited:
Right now we don't have any rules for spoilers in the movies, movies, movies area, and I'd like to think that I could look at reviews here prior to seeing the movie to determine whether to watch it or not.

With the success of the movie -- $69 million domestic against a budget of $60 million -- it was only a matter of time before other movies try to copy it. It looks like one major release for this year is already being post-coverted into Lego:

This blows. I have been wanting to see this movie since I heard about it, but my wife thinks it looks stupid and no matter how many good reviews I bring up she does not want to see it. Guess I will have to wait till I can just rent it on Redbox. :(

ScytheRexx said:
This blows. I have been wanting to see this movie since I heard about it, but my wife thinks it looks stupid and no matter how many good reviews I bring up she does not want to see it. Guess I will have to wait till I can just rent it on Redbox. :(
Or go alone!

I would, but I have to be careful about it, because ever since my son was born my wife can be a little more aggressive then she used to be. When I make free time for myself and she has to worry about the kid, she gets angry and then passive aggressive, even though I offer her the same thing in return (she goes and does something fun, I watch the kid). It's been like that for awhile and thus why I can't even play WoW right now, let alone make movie or personal plans. :( Still, going to try tonight and see if I can make time for this weekend. Trying to avoid spoilers like the plague because supposedly the ending is pretty amazing.

I would, but I have to be careful about it, because ever since my son was born my wife can be a little more aggressive then she used to be. When I make free time for myself and she has to worry about the kid, she gets angry and then passive aggressive, even though I offer her the same thing in return (she goes and does something fun, I watch the kid). It's been like that for awhile and thus why I can't even play WoW right now, let alone make movie or personal plans. :( Still, going to try tonight and see if I can make time for this weekend. Trying to avoid spoilers like the plague because supposedly the ending is pretty amazing.
Spoiler: They're made of Lego.

GasBandit

Staff member
It was pretty good. I could have done with a little bit less of the Spazztastic Eplileptivision during the action scenes, but hey, if you're not overstimulating kid's tiny brains, they lose interest, so I can understand it.

Saw it the other night. It was a 10 pm showing and there weren't any kids in the theater, but it was still packed.

"Hey, where are my pants?!"