[Question] The Night Shift

BananaHands

Staff member
Hey!

So I got a promotion but with it came along the dreaded night shift (6pm - 4:30am).

Has anyone worked a night shift before that could give me advice?

Hey!

So I got a promotion but with it came along the dreaded night shift (6pm - 4:30am).

Has anyone worked a night shift before that could give me advice?
Such as?

I've been treating the overnight shift like a regular 9-5 day. 8pm to the regular folks becomes my 6am. But since I didn't have a whole lot of a social life to begin with, that works for me. Even though I sleep through things like... the entire NFL season. :p

It depends. Will it be a fixed night shift, or variable? I've been doing rotating night shifts for 8 years now, never knowing in advance what I'll be doing next month....That's a pretty strong drain on your social life. If it's a "fixed" rhythm, your social life will need some adjusting but it's manageable.
In either case, get used to the taste of coffee :-P And, especially in winter, depending on area, you may need to make a conscious effort to occasionally see some sunshine.

I rather enjoyed it. Traffic to/from work was great, no competition at the grocery store. The only trouble is how it will affect the other people living with you, and how you will affect them.

--Patrick

I love the night shift, though I haven't worked it in many years.

Generally, there's a lot less people out and about to deal with, and traffic is better. I did my night shift years in Houston, so there was definitely a heightened element of danger being out and about then. "The freaks come out at night" and all that.

As @jwhouk says, make sure you get blackout curtains or otherwise figure out how to block light. And you'll come to hate that chipper neighbor that starts mowing an hour after you fall asleep.

I currently work a shift that's 5pm to 3:30 AM. it's supposed to be a 4 tens schedule but we've been doing a lot of 5 days anyhow. I keep my schedule the same even on my days off so, like has been said before, other people early evening becomes my morning. For the job I work, I wouldn't change it. I like it a lot the way it's going right now. But I've always been a bit of a night owl.

My normal schedule is 7am-3pm, but every tuesday I work 10pm-8am. I actually kinda like it, it's quiet and peaceful, I can get lots of work done, and I typically bring headphones and listen to podcasts.

I loved working nights. I either did 10pm-8am or 12am-8am. It's kind of like anything else, you're going to have to find your own groove. I used to stay up for most of the day when I got done work. I went to the gym (no people!), ran errands, cleaned, etc. Then my days off were my own to do whatever I wanted. I went to bed around 2pm every day. I was lucky that my bedroom had a huge tree next to it. I didn't need to buy room-darkening blinds. Ambient noise is helpful. So is Benedryl if you're desperate for sleep. Just try to get into a routine and stick to it.

If you're doing only night shifts, get a vitamin-D supplement from the drugstore (or even ask your PCP for a prescription one) in the winter months.

You get to day drink which is nice, since 10am is actually late in your day. I remember that I had to keep more on top of my schedule since halfway through your shift it'll be tomorrow.

I worked that shift for two tax seasons at the IRS. I recommend it. I've always been really good at swinging my sleep schedule and not suffering much, so your mileage may vary. I also took it since it paid more. For me, I kind of treated it as productive time when I stay up late. I always went to sleep within 10 minutes of getting home unless I was making a fashionably late arrival to a party or something, and then I just had a very long day/morning time before I went into work.

BananaHands

Staff member
All great advice. I'm definitely looking to get vitamin D supplements too because with the sun setting as late as it does - I'm definitely not getting much.

I have a sleep mask currently which has been great. Every tuesday, however, there seems to be a parade of leafblowers going past my window at 8am.

I don't use that brand...but I do occasionally find that earplugs get me through those tough times when my wife is sawing logs ;)

Since I've been doing the night shift thing I don't even set an alarm (unless I have stayed out way to late for common sense and still have to work that day). I typically go to bed around 7 in the morning and just casually wake up around 2:30pm, sometimes a little earlier, sometimes a little later, but always with plenty of time to have a few cups of coffee, catch up on the news and slowly wake up before actually getting ready for work.