The Nostalgia Critic knows Bio-Dome is Shore to stink!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Iaculus

The movie that got the all-time low score on Metacritic? My word.

figmentPez

Staff member
I actually liked Bio-Dome/Encino Man/SoninLaw reign of Shore.

*shrug*
I remember Son-in-Law, and I liked the movie. I think I've even seen bits and pieces of it since, and didn't change my opinion. Bio-Dome didn't strike me as funny, but I don't remember if I hated it or was just apathetic.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Somehow I don't regret not seeing this movie.

I did, however, feel slightly miffed that the Critic flew off the handle right away. He'll get a heart attack if he keeps this up...

figmentPez

Staff member
At least he didn't do his new favorite bit "Explain movie, explain!" Argh! Not only is he really annoying when he does that, he often complains about things that don't need any sort of explanation.

At least he didn't do his new favorite bit "Explain movie, explain!" Argh! Not only is he really annoying when he does that, he often complains about things that don't need any sort of explanation.
On a contrary note I did like the latest use of the "I was frozen today" bit.

Except the Quest for Camelot DID need explanation.

But in Camelot lore, there wasn't "rampant" magic. It was carefully harnessed by wizards. An enchanted wood would require an explanation of "Haunted" or "The witches cast a spell on it" etc.

Cajungal

Staff member
But in Camelot lore, there wasn't "rampant" magic. It was carefully harnessed by wizards. An enchanted wood would require an explanation of "Haunted" or "The witches cast a spell on it" etc.
Gotta agree... there are a lot of movies with magic that don't need explanation. And if Quest for Camelot wanted to create a more magical world, well fine, but it's a hard movie to defend on any level. Sometimes he does seem to demand explanation where none is needed, though.

figmentPez

Staff member
Not to mention the Acme bottle for making mix-and-match mercenaries...
From the comments on NC's site, that one did get an explanation. The villain mentions he got it from witches, and the NC either didn't think that was enough explanation, or missed it. Same with the healing leaf. The characters mentioned that the leaves have healing properties, and the NC missed it.

The complaint should be that this doesn't match up with Camelot lore, not that it needs explanation. Why spend time on an explanation of how an enchanted wood became enchanted? It is how it is. What if the explanation was "A wizard did it." How is that any more satisfying than just accepting it as magical?

With magic explanation is needed when something isn't possible. Why can't they just melt the ring in a forge? Why can't the good faeries just undo the evil curse? No one asks how the faeries got their power in the first place. There's no point, unless it advances a character or the world. It's not about how, it's about who.

The songs needed an explanation. They just happened... and then were disregarded, with zero to do with the movie. Not needing an explanation in-film; I mean the people who made that thing needed to come on camera and let out their issues. I was baffled at just how bad the moviemakers were at making a movie.

With magic explanation is needed when something isn't possible. Why can't they just melt the ring in a forge? Why can't the good faeries just undo the evil curse? No one asks how the faeries got their power in the first place. There's no point, unless it advances a character or the world. It's not about how, it's about who.
Except they explained the reason the Ring WAS magical. The reason WHY they had to take the ring to THAT mountain. The reason that faeries have magic is usually explained early on as "Spirits of Nature/Magic". About it being an "enchanted wood", it didn't even SAY that. It was just a griffon flying over a wood and BOOM magical grasping hands. This was Camelot they were going for, not "The Land of Random Enchantment". If you're going to use Arthurian Legend, how about, I dunno, using Arthurian Legend?

Cajungal

Staff member
Man, Eric Idle... I love you but... man. Why? That's the explanation I want.

*"comically" shrill, noisy voice* "EXPLAIN, ERIC! EXPLAIN!"

Status
Not open for further replies.