[Food] The popinator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw that video over at BoingBoing, and at the point where they explain away its inaccuracy by saying all popcorn kernels are different in size and weight, I thought to myself, "Well why couldn't you weigh each kernel just before it gets loaded into the breech? I mean, come on, if you did all the other engineering, you should be able to include a scale also."

And then I realized how much like a nerd that made me sound.

--Patrick

Saw that video over at BoingBoing, and at the point where they explain away its inaccuracy by saying all popcorn kernels are different in size and weight, I thought to myself, "Well why couldn't you weigh each kernel just before it gets loaded into the breech? I mean, come on, if you did all the other engineering, you should be able to include a scale also."

And then I realized how much like a nerd that made me sound.

--Patrick
I had this exact same thought, except instead of realising I was a nerd, I opted to write these people off as lazy bums.

Even if you accounted for the kernel weight (and, let's be honest, it's not going to vary much from kernel to kernel) the air currents in the room, and the shape of the kernel will play a far greater role in trajectory than weight will.

Even if you accounted for the kernel weight [etc]
I understand that, but what my brain was complaining about was the lack of the attempt to account for those variables which could be compensated.

In fact, a few strategically placed whiskers (probably optimally located like a catfish's barbels) could sense (local) air current, and a densely packed mini-IR (or CdS) array could measure the size, which would give a rough guess at density and the ability to better compensate for aerodynamics.

I can only assume these factors were not considered during the requirements phase.
Mind you, I'm not knocking the product. I think it's amazing. I just see such potential.

--Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.