Things you just don't get

GasBandit

Staff member
In this thread, we sound off about things people do that you "just don't get." Like, you can't fathom why people make an informed, premeditated decision to "__________."

I'll start. Ear gauges. Yes, let's put holes in our earlobes and then stretch those holes so big that the hole will have a hole. I saw a picture of some poor schmuck who had a padlock (unwillingly) put through his ear gauge, and even though I know it was a reprehensible act of assault, I couldn't help but feel a swelling of schadenfreude. I mean... EAR GAUGES. W. T. F. What's next, stretching our eyelids over time so that they can close all the way down over our cheeks, then flippityflappityflap up like a yanked rolling shade?

Cajungal

Staff member
I don't get ear guages either.

I really don't get the appeal of scrapbooking. Everyone tried to get me to do it in college. I can barely wrap my head around putting too much energy into taking pictures (special occasions, yes, but I don't capture every little thing). Why spend so much time and money on cute-ing up memorabilia when it's enough on its own. Do you have to look at hobby lobby stickers to truly enjoy the memory of high school graduation?

I don't get why my son does large digit subtraction from left to right instead of right to left. 0_o

I don't get Daniel Tosh's career. It's like Comedy Central wanted a guy who was less funny than Dane Cook or Carlos Mencia, and was willing to work for floor sweepings as long as he got to be a misogynist prick on camera. I understand humor needs to push the limits, but there's a difference between crossing the line, and just being abusive, and that's basically the difference between Louis CK's standup and Daniel Tosh's work. Well, that and a metric asston of talent.

Dave

Staff member
I liked early Tosh but he grew stale pretty fast to me. Well, that and I'd already seen 99% of the shit he showed.

I liked early Tosh but he grew stale pretty fast to me. Well, that and I'd already seen 99% of the shit he showed.
There is that. "Oh, here's a clip you already saw 2 weeks ago, and I'm going to say something stupid and kind of cruel about it. And repeat."

I don't understand resistance to change that hurts no one.
In my profession, IT, it is one of my major pet peeves. You will be shocked by how petty people can be about what they don't like. "In the past it was two clicks to do this function, now it is FOUR."[DOUBLEPOST=1410999512,1410999454][/DOUBLEPOST]I don't get girls in South Texas wearing Uggs with mini-skirts, during the summer.

Another thing I didn't get: Darren Aranofsky's "NOAH". Just... what? Mutant Ents, baddies right out of an episode of Hercules the Legendary Journals, bafflingly bad and overused CGI, and not a single likable character?

In my profession, IT, it is one of my major pet peeves. You will be shocked by how petty people can be about what they don't like. "In the past it was two clicks to do this function, now it is FOUR."
Actually, it wouldn't shock me too much. I see the uproar going through my newsfeed whenever FB changes something. It's like it's the end of the world. Who gives a shit. You're still going to use their service.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of people who don't bother to broaden their horizons and it's just fine by them. Because it's always been this way. My hometown is full of these people. I don't get it at all. I have a friend from high school who still listens to the same music as she did when she was 15, roots for all the Philly teams because we're from South Jersey and that's what you do, has never been further away from home than Florida for vacation and then only went to Orlando, and the most exotic thing she's eaten is Chinese take out. There is so much out there! How can you be satisfied to live like that?

Another thing I didn't get: Darren Aranofsky's "NOAH". Just... what? Mutant Ents, baddies right out of an episode of Hercules the Legendary Journals, bafflingly bad and overused CGI, and not a single likable character?
What a terrible movie.

One thing I don't get... not vaccinating their children. It's absolutely shamefully stupid.

What a terrible movie.

One thing I don't get... not vaccinating their children. It's absolutely shamefully stupid.
But Jenny Mcarthy says it causes autism, and as we all know, there's no greater authority on autism and vaccinations than the chick from Remote Control.

People hanging on to out dated beliefs in spite of a changed world/mountains of evidence to the contrary. I'm talking racism, sexism, and usually backward religious beliefs. Let me take my next breath to say that I do not believe all people of faith are backwards and dumb, just those that reject proven science out of hand or use religion as a blunt instrument to keep others under their thumb.

And oh yeah, ear gauges, I mean wtf, right? (I want to be popular too!)

TruckNutz

What the fuck?
I had to fight the urge to follow one of these in a parking lot and straight up slice it off the truck.

I find it hilarious that the people who are putting these on their trucks don't realize that they're literalizing the old addage about a big vehicle being a substitute for their penis.[DOUBLEPOST=1411007036,1411006847][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and possibly as part of the impetus for this thread. I don't get the "left pizza with none beef" meme.

Save me a seat on the ear gauges not-getting-wagon. It's just... Why?

Another one would be those kids who wear their pants SUPER low. Like, not just low on the hips so you can maybe see a bit of underwear, but all the way past the half-way point of the buttocks (or even all the way past them). Who thought THAT was a good idea? Although seeing someone dressed like that trying to run to catch a bus was one of the most hilarious sights I have seen in my life. It was like a real-life Leslie Nielsen movie.

In my profession, IT, it is one of my major pet peeves. You will be shocked by how petty people can be about what they don't like. "In the past it was two clicks to do this function, now it is FOUR."
I admit, this is something that would annoy me. That's twice as much work!

I don't get leggings. They look silly.

People who abandon animals. Not "take them to the pound", just straight up dump them on the side of the road and expect them to fend for themselves. I want to take a crowbar to people who do that.

People who abandon animals. Not "take them to the pound", just straight up dump them on the side of the road and expect them to fend for themselves. I want to take a crowbar to people who do that.
This. My sister found and rehabilitated one of the best behaved, most loving dogs I've ever met, shot and abandoned in the woods. It's not like it costs any money to drop them off at a shelter. Give them a damn chance.

My old neighbor did this with a cat. All she talked about was wanting a kitten. She got one, it grew up, she never had it spayed, and she threw it outside. I tried to coax it to come to our house, but it was terrified of people. Which also says something since it had been an indoor cat all along. At any rate, the cat started using the spot under our dryer vent as a litterbox, so I ended up calling our housing office to report her and the Humane Society to come trap it. The neighbor got pissed at ME for reporting her.

Back to Comedy Central again, their terminology is strange. There's a new show on there called "The Meltdown", which is about a bunch of unfunny comedians doing live sets at a tiny comedy club. Seriously, in the one that's on now, the audience is yelling out better material than they're performing. The promotions refer to it as "a real comedy show taking place every week in a local comic shop"... that's not what that means. A 'comic shop' is general a store that sells comic books and related material, including role playing games, miniatures, etc. A 'comedy club' is what you call a club where comedians perform. That shouldn't be too fucking difficult.