thoughts on smartwatches?

I have a credit coming for being a "elite" samsung/sprint user and pre-ordering a Galaxy S20+ thinking I might use it to get a Galaxy Smartwatch. However no one i know owns a smartwatch, so figured I would ask the forums their opinions. so I wait for your input.

Last edited:
I've owned a few smart watches. They are convenient up until the point a random update makes them completely worthless.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have enough battery insecurity with ONE mobile device. I can't bear to even think about having to worry about charging my WATCH.

I have enough battery insecurity with ONE mobile device. I can't bear to even think about having to worry about charging my WATCH.
I got a watch and headphones and a brick close to one another. The first week or so was an endless juggling act of trying to remember which ones needed to charge where and on what cord, etc.

--Patrick

So one good thing I can say is that the watches I've used have all had great battery life. I take it off when I get home and set it on its little charging pad, and then grab it before I leave the next day. But even when I've forgotten to charge it because I left it on the bathroom counter, it's still managed to keep a charge into the next day.

And in the event that I really am an idiot and just never charge it, it will go into a low power mode where it literally becomes just a watch.

My FitBit will last for 7 days, so as long as I remember to put it on the charger when I shower it's never an issue. That said, I mostly use the fitbit for the silent alarm, wrist vibration is way easier to wake up to than blaring alarms.

Dave

Staff member
I have a couple of friends who have them and love them. I don't wear a normal watch so I will never get one.

HowDroll had one when I met her years ago and she loved hers as well.

I love mine. It nags me about exercising, which I need, and then tracks the exercise (with heart rate). It’s convenient to have time/weather/alarms/quick glance at email/messages on my wrist. Paying for things by waving my wrist at the sensor instead of digging cards out of my purse is awesome. And I’m one of the people who had their watch save their life (or at least catch a potentially very serious issue early). It detected a heart problem last year that ended up requiring surgery. I wouldn’t have noticed (well, until the potential heart attack or stroke) without the watch telling me there was something wrong with my heart rate. So I’m a big fan of smart watches.

so I bought a Galaxy watch, and its very nice. I got all the stuff to protect it and a more professional band since my workplace is weird about us looking professional.
20200311_175841.jpg20200311_175923.jpg