TIL: Today I Learned

Turner syndrome is a genetic condition in which a (female) person has only one X chromosome instead of two [also sometimes referred to as "XO"]
The team identified four other individuals with sex chromosomes outside the usual XX or XY designations: an early medieval individual with Jacobs syndrome (XYY) and three people from various periods with Klinefelter syndrome (XXY). They also identified an Iron Age infant with Down syndrome.
And then this quote:
It’s hard to see a full picture of how these individuals lived and interacted with their society, as they weren’t found with possessions or in unusual graves
This implies that, at least as early as three thousand or so years ago, people who were literally, chromosomally, intersex or of "unconvential genders"...were treated as completely ordinary people.

My, how far we've come.

--Patrick

And then this quote:

This implies that, at least as early as three thousand or so years ago, people who were literally, chromosomally, intersex or of "unconvential genders"...were treated as completely ordinary people.

My, how far we've come.

--Patrick
I first learned about Turner Syndrome when we had our second miscarriage.... interesting that they were able to find an ancient burial with the markers for it.

interesting that they were able to find an ancient burial with the markers for it.
This is apparently the result of new techniques. Now that scientists are actually collecting & creating databases of genetic data, and entering & updating that data, we are starting to see things we couldn't see when it was just pictures and measurements.
I think it's enlightening. We will see whether this hard scientific evidence gets slammed/attacked because it unfortunately doesn't mesh with some people's beliefs, though.

--Patrick

Today I learned that one of the biggest repositories of dirty mangas on the Internet has, without explanation, removed a massive number of the mangas posted on the site. Currently it appears around 12,000 galleries have been removed in this latest purge. One of the victims of the purge is the famous (or infamous) Metamorphosis, which I talked about a bit upthread. No official explanation has been given, but given that the removed mangas generally all were from the same authors or artists, it's speculated that the official publishers for those artists took legal action to have this site remove those works.

TIRealized that Rihanna's "Shut Up And Drive" is basically just Rihanna singing karaoke over New Order's "Blue Monday."

(Apologies to any Rihanna or New Order fans out there. You know who you are.)

--Patrick

I've been staying all week in Portland!

No, not that one.

No, not THAT one.

Portland, Texas.

If you don't know where that is, don't worry, I'm pretty sure the only people who know where that is is people who live in Corpus Christi, TX, and are mad that Portland exists.
I knew where it was before this, just like I knew/know where Paris, Moscow, Italy, and Cut and Shoot Texas are all at. I don’t know why I knew where Portland is, I’ve never found it necessary to ever go to Corpus, but for some reason I knew.

There's a Toronto, Prince Edward Island. Whenever I traveled from Summerside to Charlottetown, I'd pass through Toronto.

Every time, I made the joke that I must have taken a wrong turn somewhere.

There's a Toronto, Prince Edward Island. Whenever I traveled from Summerside to Charlottetown, I'd pass through Toronto.

Every time, I made the joke that I must have taken a wrong turn somewhere.
We have a Niagara Falls here on the Island and it's VERY different but I still make the same joke when I pass it.

1708023213130.png

Dave

Staff member
When I was still traveling to do comedy and game shows one of my partners would make that joke about similarly named places. Every. Time.

Every. Fucking. Time. You never quite realize how many similarly named places there are until you’re riding thousands of miles in a tan minivan with a guy who points them all out.

Oh god I'd never actually say it out loud to people with me every time, we live 10 minutes from it. Just in my head and chuckle to myself.

It looks like they should've named it "Center of Mass" but that would've confused a completely different group of people.

--Patrick