Town Covers Up Gang Rape to Protect High School Football Season

I disagree. I don't think people have a problem with defending yourself when necessary. It's just that in the case of Rice, he's a huge football player. He could've defended himself just fine without knocking her out.

figmentPez

Staff member
Charlie means that in feminism, doing harm to a woman is on equal severity footing as doing harm to a man.
And nowhere did @Dave in any way imply that violence against women is worse than violence against men. Charlie is just being an ass by insisting on gender neutral language when any rational person should realize it's not only unnecessary, it's a damn ridiculous bit of semantic acrobatics when talking about a specific instance.

Feminism, in theory, would have a society where men are equal to women.

However, in reality, men have huge advantages and privilege. One of which is height and strength in most cases that makes retaliation by men against women disproportional (disproportionate? fuck).

Charlie means that in feminism, doing harm to a woman is on equal severity footing as doing harm to a man.
This is basically the crux of it from a feminist perspective. Implying that it's worse to hit a woman than it is a man implies that women are inherently less capable of taking care of themselves and therefor need more protection.

That's the theory anyway.

Dave

Staff member
Feminism, in theory, would have a society where men are equal to women.

However, in reality, men have huge advantages and privilege. One of which is height and strength in most cases that makes retaliation by men against women disproportional (disproportionate? fuck).
I'm still confused as to what part of my statement would offend feminists.

I'm still confused as to what part of my statement would offend feminists.
That's because you don't operate by 'Charlie Logic'. What he's saying is that, since you imply that a large professional athlete beating a woman is an especially heinous crime compared to recreational drug use, you're saying that women are defenseless/helpless, which is offensive to feminists.

Oddly, I think most feminists would agree that a man beating the stuffing out of a woman is a bad thing.

Dave

Staff member
I dunno, I kind of screwed that up? I just assumed you thought it was worse to abuse women since you only mentioned it specifically.
Fair enough. I was actually saying that it was worse to beat a woman than it was to do drugs/alcohol, and confused/concerned that these situations are exactly backwards from that.

Necronic

Staff member
I dunno about that. People who abuse drugs could do something really messed up, like beat a wom....oh ok I get it now.

Not that I necessarily condone the action, but I'm honestly surprised someone in that town hasn't tried dealing out some vigilante "justice" on these guys.

Surely not every single person in the town feels that way, though. That's my point. Seems like the vast majority, though, which makes the whole debacle all the worse.
I think it makes it much more unlikely. When you feel something is unjust and 'people' agree but the system doesn't, you may feel supported and more compelled to do something vigilante-ish. When you risk becoming another victim, this time of the system AND your neighbors, not so much. Unless you know the unjustly treated victim, of course.

I guess it also helps that there isn't a single clear bad guy here. There's so many of them :/

I don't know, man. Small towns. Insulated bubbles. "They're just children" and all that. I can easily see people putting on the blinders and moving on.
It's Steubenville. Football is serious business there. Forget the small town, bubbles, and all that. It's all about the football.

It's Steubenville. Football is serious business there. Forget the small town, bubbles, and all that. It's all about the football.
And considering how these people have acted already would YOU want to be the person who stood up against them?

*obviously, yeah, some of us would want to be that person, but we don't have to live there and deal with the consequences of such actions. It's a lot to ask of someone in that position. And illegal.

And considering how these people have acted already would YOU want to be the person who stood up against them?

*obviously, yeah, some of us would want to be that person, but we don't have to live there and deal with the consequences of such actions. It's a lot to ask of someone in that position. And illegal.
And if you do stand up, you can go to prison for longer than the rapists.

A judge was ambushed in Ohio this morning. The judge and a probation officer returned fire, killing the shooter.

The shooter was the father of one of the Steubenville rape suspects. He had a record, and officials are saying this is probably not connected, but still. Odd coincidence.
Because nobody else has said it, it's explicitly mentioned in that article that the Judge had nothing to do with the Son's case, but DID have the shooter in front of him on more than one occasion. I still agree with @sixpackshaker's explanation though
Police named Nathaniel Richmond, 51 — the father of Ma'lik Richmond, one of two teenage high school football stars from Steubenville, Ohio, convicted in 2013 of raping a 16-year-old girl — as the shooter in the ambush. Bruzzese had nothing to do with that case, officials said.

But the judge was not defenseless. The armed Bruzzese returned fire with his own weapon, according to police.

A probation officer, who was behind Bruzzese, also fired at Richmond.
"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"