Former President Trump Thread

figmentPez

Staff member
It's becoming increasingly obvious that Mueller failed against Trump because Mueller played by the rules, written and unwritten, and thus was rendered ineffective against someone who breaks a half-dozen laws before getting out of bed in the morning.

It's becoming increasingly obvious that Mueller failed against Trump because Mueller played by the rules, written and unwritten, and thus was rendered ineffective against someone who breaks a half-dozen laws before getting out of bed in the morning.
I am genuinely concerned about this, about how they are constantly escaping through the vents sidestepping the rules and not being held accountable for doing so. My concern is not solely because it offends my overblown sense of fair play, either. It is because historically, removing these kinds of people from positions of influence literally requires that people gotta die, either on their own or with help, and probably with more than a few collateral deaths, as well.

I don’t WANT to be forced into a war over stuff this dumb. I really don’t. But they just don’t seem to get that the more brazen and peremptory they get, the smaller the pool of effective answers becomes, until “fight” and “flight” are the only two left. And since we’re currently locked in here by the rest of the world due to our disastrous coronavirus response, “flight” is off the table.

—Patrick

Also there's this piece. An excerpt:
I write about game theory learned from simulating war outcomes. Like many people, I’m stuck on this as the likely outcome of our situation: We’re facing a civil war.
Up until yesterday, I wasn’t thinking a civil war was probable. But then Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died. With her likely went the last chance the 2020 election will end peacefully. [...] it doesn’t matter who wins the election, because a 6–3 court will kit-bash some reason to hand Trump a second term.
He then goes on to explain the four types of civil war we may face, likening them to the American Civil War (strong Biden win), The Russian Revolution (absentee/come-from-behind Biden win), The Irish War of Independence (too close to call), or The Rwandan Civil War (Trump wins or is preemptively confirmed, lots of suspicious fires at Post Offices, etc.)

--Patrick

I think there's a reasonable chance for Roberts and Gorsuch to not side with Trump in any argument that says states don't get to decide how voting works. And there's already precedent this year that says electors have to follow the laws of the state in regards to their vote, so it might not even be a thing that the Supreme Court would hear. (Also, serious question, would a new judge even be seated right away? I thought they would have to wait until the session ends? Or is it just that they can't be added to any cases already in progress?)

This is me clinging to hope, my actual beliefs in what will happen are much lower.