Former President Trump Thread

Well, anyone trying to pull one will have to have the full support of the military...which may be why so many military emeriti are publicly publishing their thoughts on the matter.

--Patrick

So, I don't know enough about American politics to know the sure, but...is a military coup within the realm of possibility?
In ages past I would say no, since we were always taught to respect and follow the Constitution above all else. Checks and Balances. By training soldiers to follow the Constitution as the highest law of the land, thus should the President give an order that violates that document, the military would not carry it out. Congress was then supposed to impeach and remove.

Now? Not so sure honestly. I like to think that the officers in the highest offices, the ones the rank and file are trained to follow without question, would stick to the old ways, and thus why we seeing so many officers come out in opposition of Trump right now. However, Trump is considered the "Commander-In-Chief" and thus the highest authority in the military, which means should enough of the officers, and more importantly, the rank and file, see it as a duty to follow him, then we could have a bad problem on our hands. Like I said earlier, we are going to learn what is more important, the Constitution, or the President.

Lol, remember when after the impeachment trial Republicans in Congress were all like "He learned his lesson"? Haha, that was funny.

Lol, remember when after the impeachment trial Republicans in Congress were all like "He learned his lesson"? Haha, that was funny.
On the bright side, Miss "He learned his lesson." Collins is trailing her opponent right now in Maine polls by 4 points. Earlier, she was polled to win by 17 points, but lost all her independents and cross-over voters when she aquitted Trump during the Impeachment trial. Right now polls are showing at least four strong states flipping blue, including Arizona, North Carolina, and Colorado. Other states where the Republican is still ahead, like Lindsey Graham, dropped from an almost 19 point lead down to 4 points in the last month. While polls ain't everything (cough 2016) it's still good to use to see the trends.

Collins is supposedly pretty scared, and has been sending people to call asking for support in Maine. Stephen King actually got one of these calls, and when asked what he wanted from her, he made his one requirement clear.

"Retire"

In all this madness I am at least somewhat hopeful. I still don't think Biden was the right call, but at this point I would rather have a ham sandwich as president.

Hes running this november. This is his opponent. I cant say I know much about him, but I can tell he's not Lindsay Graham so he's an improvement.
Speaking of Lindsay Graham...

Incidentally, this wouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone. He's not exactly subtle about it.

And I know outing people is bad and theres nothing wrong with being gay, but I think we can agree theres an exception for politicians who actively work to hurt LGBTQ people.

Speaking of Lindsay Graham...

Incidentally, this wouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone. He's not exactly subtle about it.

And I know outing people is bad and theres nothing wrong with being gay, but I think we can agree theres an exception for politicians who actively work to hurt LGBTQ people.
This is a rumor I fully believe, and think Trump made it known he has dirt on Lindsey when they golfed that day. Suddenly He’s Trump’s most loyal supporter.

...and of course the reason he changed is to your second point. The only people that actually care about his sexuality are his voting base.

You know what we need in this country? Oversight.

Today, the White House is touting their "record breaking" job creation in the last month, 2.5 million jobs.

What they don't mention is that those 2.5 million jobs were people returning to work in the wake of easing lock down restrictions, many of which were only on temporary unemployment while their employer weathered the storm. Do they mention that? Of course not, because making it out like 2.5 million jobs just popped out of thin air in a month is a better spin for Trump.

We need oversight. We need it for police, we need it for congress, and we need it for the executive. I wouldn't even mind if we added a forth branch that's entire job is just to fact check information from congress and executive, and part of it's requirements is that all members must not be associated with a political party (and maybe allow judicial to oversee them as an extra check). Yes, I know it could, in the end, be corrupted just as much as any other, but I really feel like we are in a "Who watches the watchman?" situation here with how corrupt shit is getting. Having it done by the IG isn't going to work anymore when the IG can be hired or fired by the person he is supposed to be overseeing.

You know what we need in this country? Oversight.

Today, the White House is touting their "record breaking" job creation in the last month, 2.5 million jobs.

What they don't mention is that those 2.5 million jobs were people returning to work in the wake of easing lock down restrictions, many of which were only on temporary unemployment while their employer weathered the storm. Do they mention that? Of course not, because making it out like 2.5 million jobs just popped out of thin air in a month is a better spin for Trump.

We need oversight. We need it for police, we need it for congress, and we need it for the executive. I wouldn't even mind if we added a forth branch that's entire job is just to fact check information from congress and executive, and part of it's requirements is that all members must not be associated with a political party (and maybe allow judicial to oversee them as an extra check). Yes, I know it could, in the end, be corrupted just as much as any other, but I really feel like we are in a "Who watches the watchman?" situation here with how corrupt shit is getting. Having it done by the IG isn't going to work anymore when the IG can be hired or fired by the person he is supposed to be overseeing.
The whole point of Checks & Balances is that the three powers spend their time CHECKing each other. With judges and inspectors determined by the White House and a congress completely subservient to the WH, this completely breaks down.

Without meaning to Godwin the lot, that's exactly how Hitler got to power. Control two branches of government, cripple the third so they can no longer influence things, use mass propaganda and media to influence the population so they ignore what they see and no longer empathise with those considered the Other.

Seeing tweets about that phrase without context, at first I honestly thought he was talking about George Washington.
Either way, still one of the most wrongety-wrong things he's ever done.

--Patrick

Was at the protest in front of the US embassy today. We were around 3000 people. would have been more, but it is almost impossible to assemble in front of the embassy due to if facing a lake and the street being narrow AF.

This is the embassy, by the way.
WH.jpg

Dave

Staff member
Want to see something interesting? Here's a comedy routine from Jim Jefferies from August 2016 about Trump. Pretty spot on.

On the one hand, this is some powerful stuff coming from The Rock.
On the other hand, I just want to point out to him, "He was never there to begin with."

I'd ask to see Lewis Black take on the whole Trump situation, but all that would happen is that he'd go out on stage for a moment and then detonate like Carter Wong's character in Big Trouble in Little China.

--Patrick

Seeing tweets about that phrase without context, at first I honestly thought he was talking about George Washington.
Either way, still one of the most wrongety-wrong things he's ever done.

--Patrick
I don't know. I think tear-gassing peaceful civilians for an ego-fueled glorified photo-op is still the worst he's done. SO FAR.

I don't know. I think tear-gassing peaceful civilians for an ego-fueled glorified photo-op is still the worst he's done. SO FAR.
I meant more "incorrect/mistaken," you meant more "illegal/immoral."
But I bet if you asked him about the expulsion, he would claim he had nothing to do with it, and that it was all Barr's idea, and that he is totally blameless and takes no responsibility.

--Patrick

I meant more "incorrect/mistaken," you meant more "illegal/immoral."
But I bet if you asked him about the expulsion, he would claim he had nothing to do with it, and that it was all Barr's idea, and that he is totally blameless and takes no responsibility.

--Patrick
Oh yeah, in terms of just things he's SAID, this is definitely in the top 5.