[News] Tsukui Yamayuriena massacre (July 2016)

I was only recently made aware of this: in July, a man broke into Tsukui Yamayuriena, a home for the disabled, and stabbed residents while they slept, killing 19 and wounding another 26. He then turned himself into the police, saying he did it because "it is better if disabled people disappear".

I mean, we have hashtags for the shootings in Paris and Germany and the bombing in Brussels and all kinds of things, but this massacre happens and the world press basically goes, "Eh, so what?"

And that's fucked up. And part of it is because the victims are disabled, who are often an invisible minority.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...ukui-yamayuriena-gone-unnoticed-a7217661.html

Last edited:
What? I'm going to blame that on "American media" or something. I admit, I didn't see much on FB - another American company with American standards as to what counts - but it sure was all over the news here for a while. Lots of comparisons to other "angel of death" and "doctor death" types in the UK, Belgium, Germany, made.
Whether or not Trump likes blondes was probably more important than just another bunch of dead foreigners that they couldn't easily blame on Muslims.

And that's fucked up. And part of it is because the victims are disabled, who are often an invisible minority.
I doubt that's why. It's news that doesn't apply to us. It's really just tragic local news. Its not global terrorism, or any other thing that spills over into most of our (anyone not Japanese) lives. In Canada, it has no impact on our daily lives and is quite irrelevant to our policy considerations, since Japan's culture and governance is so very far removed from ours that this massacre teaches us nothing that we can use to improve our state. We have plenty of examples of poor (and decent, too) treatment of tbe disabled to use for this.

So does the States. This massacre does not affect you in any meaningful way, so learning about a couple months after it happened is really not a sign of much, I don't think.

It was reported when it happened, too, and widely enough that I heard about it when it happened.

Lots of comparisons to other "angel of death" and "doctor death" types in the UK, Belgium, Germany, made.
So, there's a relevence to Europe's experience.

I don't think North America is facing that type. Maybe I'm just not remembering, though, of course.

It popped up briefly. If it were gun violence it would have gotten more press.
I think it was used as an example that "even when people don't have guns, they can still massacre"... though it does considerably lower the bar when the victims are sleeping disabled people.