[Gaming] Upcoming games you are excited for, wary about, dreading

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, Dragon's Crown. The game itself looks fucking amazing. Made by a lot of the folk responsible for the Dungeons and Dragons arcade brawlers with Vanillaware's insanely excellent 2D work.

My only issue is the embarrassing character design on the Sorceress. Even the Amazon isn't that bad (still pretty fucking bad). The Sorceress is cringe inducing. I couldn't play this in front of a non-gamer (or even most gamers) without being incredibly ashamed of myself.

The success of Ducktales: Remastered will pretty much determine if Capcom gives the greenlight on various other classic Disney titles.

Zelda: Windwaker HD on the WiiU/ I didn't get a chance to experience this one on the gamecube.

I'm both excited about and wary of Batman Arkham Origins.

I was initially excited about the announcement, until I saw that Rocksteady (developer of Arkham Asylum and City) would NOT be making the game nor writing it this time. It's being done by WB Montreal using the engine Rocksteady developed. I'll be cautiously optimistic, but my hopes are already dying. I'm also not sure if I want to play a newbie batman just starting out. I want to be THE GODDAMN BATMAN. In fact, that's what it should be called. Arkha~OHGODITSTHEGODDAMNBATMAN

Injustice: Gods Among Us

I actually really like fighting games, and I loved what Netherrealm did with the reboot of Mortal Kombat. So doing the same thing with the DC cast? Awesome! It also lets us ignore that other time that DC and MK were brought together... just no.

The Last of Us

Looks amazing and seems like it will play amazing.

Shin Megami Tensei IV

I don't really know what it's about yet and I don't want to. I'm so excited about a new SMT game. I love the spin-offs, but I never played Nocturne. The scope seems huge and ... what the hell, I'm an Atlus fanboy at this point, I love their RPGs, and I can't wait for this one.

Pokemon X/Y

Won't bother linking a video, but I'm hoping this will be more than just a graphical facelift.

The Last of Us is basically the only game (other than Ni No Kuni) on the PS3 that I actually care about right now. I'm more than a little mad that I won't be able to play them on my PS4 when I get one.

Is it wrong to say that there's really no games I'm excited for? I'm not a big gamer in the first place, only owning a handful of PS3 games and a large Steam library of mostly Not AAA games.

I guess the only game I'm really excited for is the Double Fine adventure game. Which goes to show how excited for it I am, as I'm blanking on its actual name.

I'm actually a little less excited for Last of us after seeing more current trailers. What initially drew me to it was that I thought it would be more about survival and man vs man conflicts but newer trailers make it look more like a kind of typical zombie survival thing.

I think it's both. I'm okay with it being zombies; what I'm interested in is the diversity in approaching different scenarios. That's just something I'm into with some games and how Yahtzee sold me on Far Cry 3.

As fun as Dragon's Crown looks, it just makes me want those PSN/XBL versions of Capcom's D&D brawlers to make it stateside even more. I would do terrible things to good people for those games.

Dave

Staff member
Oh god that sorceress just looks terrible. Like it was made by a pre-teen boy. Just bad, bad, bad. There's no way I'd buy that game, no matter how well done the actual gameplay was.

Oh god that sorceress just looks terrible. Like it was made by a pre-teen boy. Just bad, bad, bad. There's no way I'd buy that game, no matter how well done the actual gameplay was.
I know right. I'm so conflicted, I love Vanillaware (and generally their art too) but this is.....skeezy.

For me, Dragon's Crown. The game itself looks fucking amazing. Made by a lot of the folk responsible for the Dungeons and Dragons arcade brawlers with Vanillaware's insanely excellent 2D work.

My only issue is the embarrassing character design on the Sorceress. Even the Amazon isn't that bad (still pretty fucking bad). The Sorceress is cringe inducing. I couldn't play this in front of a non-gamer (or even most gamers) without being incredibly ashamed of myself.

Dammit Japan... this is why we can't have nice things

I'm both excited about and wary of Batman Arkham Origins.

I was initially excited about the announcement, until I saw that Rocksteady (developer of Arkham Asylum and City) would NOT be making the game nor writing it this time. It's being done by WB Montreal using the engine Rocksteady developed. I'll be cautiously optimistic, but my hopes are already dying. I'm also not sure if I want to play a newbie batman just starting out. I want to be THE GODDAMN BATMAN. In fact, that's what it should be called. Arkha~OHGODITSTHEGODDAMNBATMAN

Injustice: Gods Among Us

I actually really like fighting games, and I loved what Netherrealm did with the reboot of Mortal Kombat. So doing the same thing with the DC cast? Awesome! It also lets us ignore that other time that DC and MK were brought together... just no.

I will be playing Gods Among Us as soon as I'm done with class on Tuesday. Also, this doesn't have any MK tie in, so it lets them actually tell a DC universe story.

MK9 showed that you actually can have fighting games with a good way of telling a story.

If you are getting it on PS3, we should beat the shit out of each other sometime.

I will be playing Gods Among Us as soon as I'm done with class on Tuesday. Also, this doesn't have any MK tie in, so it lets them actually tell a DC universe story.

MK9 showed that you actually can have fighting games with a good way of telling a story.

If you are getting it on PS3, we should beat the shit out of each other sometime.
I probably won't be getting it right when it comes out. I'm going to wait for the first price drop, but I will be getting it for ps3.

Do you guys have the same issue I do with fighting games, better than everyone you know to the point of no one you know is the least bit of a challenge for you to trounce, but worse than everybody who's actually good at the game and you're as much a challenge for them as your friends are for you, leaving you in the shitty middle ground of never getting better?

Personally, I generally dislike fighting games... I do however like to watch other people play competitively. I could see where you're coming from.

Do you guys have the same issue I do with fighting games, better than everyone you know to the point of no one you know is the least bit of a challenge for you to trounce, but worse than everybody who's actually good at the game and you're as much a challenge for them as your friends are for you, leaving you in the shitty middle ground of never getting better?
This pretty much sums up my experience with fighting games online. Back when it was playing against my brother and friends in the arcade and on the home systems, I would trounce the hell out of anyone I knew. But the second I get online, it's like.... shit, these people have memorized a ton of combos. I remember back when I mastered Sub Zeros longest combo in MK2. I felt like a god among men.

Like, I love Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike. It's my favorite fighting game of all time (tied with Street Fighter Alpha 3 on PS1). I'm pretty damn good at it. Every time I go online with it, I get this done to me.

This, so much this.

I got really bored of how repetitive Far Cry 3 was pretty fast. What worries me about that is it's just going to be game assets that we've already seen repeated so much in Far Cry 3 with an 80's neon filter over it.

I hope I'm wrong and it kicks a ton of shitty 80's B-movie ass, that's just my worry there.

This happened to me before online gaming even came around.

True story: Back when I owned a Sega Saturn, I was the undisputed king of Virtua Fighter 2 among everyone I knew. Friends who came over would keep trying to beat me, and occasionally they would succeed, but on the whole I won ten matches for every one I lost. We had to make an exception to the "winner stays on" house rule when a bunch of us were playing, because otherwise it'd just be people taking turns to lose against me.

Then one day I went down to the local arcade and played Virtua Fighter 2 there against a guy I'd never met before. He pulled off two straight flawless victories against me, using combos I'd never even thought of, never mind seen. It blew my mind.

And then I watched this guy lose against other guys who were even better than him. It blew my mind again.

That was the day I decided I'll never be a pro gamer.

I remember seeing Street Fighter Alpha in the arcade at mall of america. I con't even come close to beating people. At the local Aladdin's Palace, I did pwn my fair share of people on Marvel Super Heroes. Mostly because people didn't know how to use the infinity gems, and I was a combo monster with Spider-Man.

Watching professional gamers play these fighting games makes me realize that no amount of practice would rise me to their level, there's a certain amount of innate skill, just like in athletics.

Here's one of the more famous Street Fighter moments, in which a top level player by the name of Daigo (playing as Ken) finds himself with only a sliver of health left in the final match against a top level Chun Li. To those not familiar with the game, -any- hit against him would kill him at this point, because even the small amount of chip damage done by blocking an attack would be enough to do him in. But there's a parry system where attacks can be parried away for no damage, but it requires ungodly precise timing, done against every single attack that comes at you.

This is why he was champion.

BananaHands

Staff member
INJUSTICE INJUSTICE INJUSTICE[DOUBLEPOST=1366036280][/DOUBLEPOST]
I have to look up my PSN name, but I'm all for some beatin' the shit out of eachother as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.