Vasectomy advice (experience necessary)

So I'm going in for the old chop and am wondering if it would be too much to drive to visit my family the next day. It is only a 3 hour drive.

I don't think it will be too bad, but I've never had my nuts chopped open before so I don't really know.

Any advise from somebody with said experience is welcome.

I could visit for a shorter span the weekend before and miss my work golf tournament, so there is that option.

It might not be best for you to drive. You might want NSAIDs and an ice pack if you decide to tough it out.
My dad went hunting right after he had his done (according to him and my mom). On the other hand, my husband was not too happy having to get out of his recliner. Different people, different pain tolerance.

Definitely as stated, different people, different tolerance. No two are quite the same. I had mine done, and although not excruciating I was definitely very sore. Could have made a drive yes and done a visit like you are talking about, but I would not have been the most pleasant person to be around.

1: Buy bag of frozen peas
2: Put bag of frozen peas in lap
3: Drive
4: Dispose of and replace bag of frozen peas

Repeat as necessary. I was sore, but not chairbound or anything. Wouldn't have entered a roshambo, but other than that the peas and a little ibuprofen took care of things.

1: Buy bag of frozen peas
2: Put bag of frozen peas in lap
3: Drive
4: Dispose of and replace bag of frozen defrosted peas

Repeat as necessary. I was sore, but not chairbound or anything. Wouldn't have entered a roshambo, but other than that the peas and a little ibuprofen took care of things.

I have a high pain tolerance. I also went for the "no incision" surgery...the one where they open a tiny hole in your nutsack and pull the vas deferens out and work on it that way.

After the procedure was done, I immediately went out to a bar and played Irish music for 5 hours on a wooden barstool. I literally drove from the doctor's office to the bar. I had very little soreness the next day.

My stepfather had the traditional "slice it open and work on it" surgery when I was a kid, and was out of work for a week.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get one of those donut pillows to keep the pressure off of your nads while you drive, if you're at all worried about it. You could stick the bag of peas in the hole ;)

Dave

Staff member
I was up and around in a day or so. My brother got infected and his testicles swelled up to the size of small softballs, which was hi-LAR-ious!

One they make a cut on each testes and snip, and one the make a small hole and pull the vas deferens through it and cut.

Pros and Cons? In detail, if poss.

My balls are important, they'll help sustain our population on this planet.

Cons: Slight discomfort.

Pros: Showers don't end with listening to the dying screams of millions of fallen as they wash down the drain.

fade

Staff member
I had the small incision type. I don't tolerate painkillers well, so I didn't take them. I never was in pain. There was a slight soreness afterwards, but it was by no means bad. I don't remember ever stopping or slowing down--I was up right after the operation. They gave me a maxi-pad like ice pack to shove down my pants, and I used that for the rest of the day. After that, nothing.

As for details, they made a small incision, pulled out the vas deferens, clipped it, cauterized the ends, and then clamped them with permanent titanium clamps to prevent accidental reattachment (it can happen). I asked if my scrotum would set off the airport metal detector (joking). It also means I'm partly Wolverine now, except no one wants to see me SNIKT.

The worst part was that I could do nothing with Fade Jr for a week, and your body has to adapt to the lack of a pathway that used to be there. Long story short, prepare for a week of maddening rising pressure that will culminate at the end of a week with something like the sex scene from Scary Movie.

As for details, they made a small incision, pulled out the vas deferens, clipped it, cauterized the ends, and then clamped them with permanent titanium clamps to prevent accidental reattachment (it can happen). I asked if my scrotum would set off the airport metal detector (joking). It also means I'm partly Wolverine now, except no one wants to see me SNIKT.
Hah, I asked that same question. They didn't make an incision for me, though..they just poked a tiny hole through the skin with some pointed hemostats

For guys thinking of having this done, you should be aware that one of the potential side effects is basically "your balls will hurt for the rest of your life". Evidently it's rare, but it's a possibility.