[Brazelton] Vice Media

People want Fox style propaganda and fear mongering, and are unwilling to play for actual news or for fluff pieces.
I was never particularly fond of Vice, but it's year another Canary in the coal mine. Smaller news/media are going away as there's just no viable business model. Ai generated listicles, ads disguised as news, and political propaganda ate replacing actual reporting, and our society will be a worse place for it.

People want Fox style propaganda and fear mongering, and are unwilling to play for actual news or for fluff pieces.
I was never particularly fond of Vice, but it's year another Canary in the coal mine. Smaller news/media are going away as there's just no viable business model. Ai generated listicles, ads disguised as news, and political propaganda ate replacing actual reporting, and our society will be a worse place for it.
I somewhat disagree. I do think that some of these medium-sized outlets are getting squeezed out but there is also a surge in very small outlets on platforms like Substack. I don't say that this is necessarily good or bad, as it has good elements and bad elements to it. The worst of the bad in my mind is that the mega-conglomerations won't be broken up as they continue to coalesce into a single entity. 10,000 independent outlets won't stack up well against that. Shatter monopolies!

GasBandit

Staff member
Shatter monopolies!
The FCC rules on this sort of thing are woefully out of date and barely enforced. They only deal with broadcast TV. We've seen how horrifying it is when a megacorp own the "local" stations in hundreds of different markets, getting under the limit because they don't reach 39% of literally all households in the country... but that needs to be revisited. Badly.

Not sure how to handle online news media though... technically everything has universal reach, there's no geographic monopoly, and it is monetization that determines what stays afloat - which just means it is megacorp advertisers that decide what you get to know about.