[Question] Video Card issues/upgrade

So I've recently determined that my video card hardware is preventing my PC from hibernating. I have an old Nvdia GTS 450, and am looking at 2 newer cards to replace it with.

The first is this: GTX 750 Ti for $190 CAD
and the second this: 650OC-1GI for $135 CAD.

My monitor is only 1600x900 so i don't need more resolution right now and all I play on it is Minecraft and Portal sometimes.

Will I notice the extra speed and RAM of the newer card? I've gone too casual in both my gaming and my building to know anymore.

You will notice the extra RAM if you use things with lots of textures, but what you will probably notice sooner is the support for newer graphics technologies (i.e., the older card will go obsolete sooner).
Basically, if you are going to run Win8 or higher, get the newer one. If you are running Win7 or below (and don't plan to ever upgrade the OS on that machine), then it probably doesn't matter.

--Patrick

Thanks! I didn't realize how much you can spend on a video card. Seems ridiculous to me to spend $800 on one. I did opt for the 750 and got it for $170 somewhere else.

I was thinking the same thing about getting the newer gen card. The fact that the 750 Ti uses less power was also a factor.

In case anyone else out there is looking for a new video card but has power/space restrictions, something like this could fit the bill.
http://techreport.com/news/27245/get-shorty-gigabyte-intros-mini-geforce-gtx-970

The GTX 970 is no slouch, putting up numbers that show it's more than twice as fast as the 750ti. It does require an 8-pin connection rather than the 750ti's 6-pin, so your power supply will probably need to be 500W or higher.

But you will most definitely notice the difference if you're upgrading from anything in the GTX 6xx/Radeon HD6xxx range or earlier.

--Patrick