Weekend in Austin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday Night
Saturday Night
Sunday Afternoon

Tell me Austin-ites or other Austin visitors, where shall I go? What shall I do? Where should I eat? Where should I drink? What should I see?

If I don't get to do it this weekend, I'm going to do the exact same Fri-Sun visit next weekend too.

The further up 6th street you go the less college-y the crowd gets. There's a rooftop bar called the ranch that was ok.

Epoch coffee is a nice cafe you can go to.

Anything greenbelt should be nice. Alamo draft house usually has a thing going on. If check out their site.

Elysium is an OK kind of gothy/industrial club.

The further up 6th street you go the less college-y the crowd gets. There's a rooftop bar called the ranch that was ok.

Epoch coffee is a nice cafe you can go to.

Anything greenbelt should be nice. Alamo draft house usually has a thing going on. If check out their site.

Elysium is an OK kind of gothy/industrial club.
So basically you're telling me I want to be on the South side of 6th St? ;)

Dunno about the Draft House, don't think I'm going to spend part of my short weekend at the theater but more info would be good! Like le'shopping (geek shopping obviously).

Oh awesome, I'm going to be in town that weekend (The one where Dante is visiting).

My move to Austin is looking more and more like a reality every day. Thanks for the heads up sixpackshaker .

So other than comics/movies/bars, whatelse should I treat myself to?

Don't judge Alt Country by it's name. It's a bit different than the pop Nashville sound most are used to.

S

SeraRelm

Someone could write the best lyrics of all time and I still wouldn't listen if the genre was not to my liking. That being said, I'm sure there is at least one song/track from every genre that I could enjoy, but that doesn't excuse the entirety in my eyes (or ears as it were).

fade

Staff member
I don't know if you're into such things, but the path around and over the river (Lady Bird Lake Trail--yes, they call it a lake trail despite the fact that it is along a river because it goes to Lady Bird Lake) is really nice. Good place to run.

Dragon's lair comics and games is a pretty good shop as well. Toyjoy has a lot of retro shit that can be kinda cool. It's at least worth checking out.

Thanks for the warning, I will make sure to board up my windows tonight.

No but really some good advice here. I second seeing bats, the Congress Ave is the most fun to watch but if you want something a little less crowded you can always just visit the bridge near my house in Round Rock. ;) If you like swimming try Barton Springs if they are open, it's going to be a warm weekend.

fade

Staff member
If you're going to Round Rock, you might as well pick up some of the best doughnuts in the country.

Something I just thought of though, is depending on which way you're coming from or what time you're coming in at, avoid I-35. It's a parking lot, more often than not.

Hm, that's good to know, I think I had it GPSed through I-35. May have to find a drive-around. Especially since I'm coming in around 10pm on a Friday night.

Also, in reguards to parking around 6th street. 6th street itself is usually blocked off. There are parking garages around but honestly if you don't mind a bit of a walk you can find parking spaces for free a few blocks north. I'd usually park around 12th for a nice sobering up walk back to the car and quicker access to wherever I was going later.

How's the walk for 6 blocks at 3-4am though?

Usually if the valet is $5-10 I will have my car parked in a garage. Especially since I'm going to have a really nice rented car (though my insurance).

I've never felt it was that bad, though usually I was with a group. Things usually die down pretty quick once the bars close down. To me it was usually worth not having to deal with the traffic of everyone else trying to leave all at the same time.

I'm totally blanking on its name, but that really cold natural body of water is good to go swim in. It's like a spring or something. Everyone's half naked.

Status
Not open for further replies.