Well, time for a new RSS reader...

figmentPez

Staff member
WHAT? This is awful. Please tell me something offers the same type of functionality. I don't want to have something that doesn't sync between devices. That's why I never got into RSS before I found Google reader.[DOUBLEPOST=1363233080][/DOUBLEPOST]I love the Lifehacker article on Google Reader alternatives

"all desktop apps currently sync with Google Reader."

:fu:

Well, time to start looking at the cloud based readers:
- NetVibes
- NewsBlur
- Feedly

fade

Staff member
Yeah, this sucks. This is my homepage, and the center of my surfing activities. I'm rather surprised, because I thought Reader had a big user base.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm pissed as hell too.

That said, I've installed feedly on my PC (firefox version) and android tablet... and after a few minutes of learning how it works differently (it takes a few settings tweaks to make it look/work just like google reader), I think it will be an acceptable replacement. If you get started with it now, it can sync all your data from google reader, and when reader goes down they've already got another backend ready to go to take over and continue functionality.

I'm pissed as hell too.

That said, I've installed feedly on my PC (firefox version) and android tablet... and after a few minutes of learning how it works differently (it takes a few settings tweaks to make it look/work just like google reader), I think it will be an acceptable replacement. If you get started with it now, it can sync all your data from google reader, and when reader goes down they've already got another backend ready to go to take over and continue functionality.
Yeah, I am leaning towards Feedly too.

GasBandit

Staff member
My only complaint about feedly really, is it has a bad habit of showing you stuff you've already read when you told it not to... usually once you've read everything and are still in "latest" mode.

My only complaint about feedly really, is it has a bad habit of showing you stuff you've already read when you told it not to... usually once you've read everything and are still in "latest" mode.
I noticed that. I really wish they would make a setting to fix that, their default theme at least does not make it super clear what is marked as read. You're right though, it's not Google Reader, but it will be an acceptable replacement. I wouldn't switch to it if I didn't have to, but at least I'll have something usable come July.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've found if you use J and K to navigate, the "today" tab is acceptable, though you have to clock the refresh circular arrow at the bottom of each "page" after 15 or so items. But it has a better time not showing already read things.

And I've also discovered it's gmail integration for sharing articles is a bit buggy in the firefox version, though it works fine on android.

But really what makes this a winner is the easy, seamless migration it does for you from google reader - and right now it syncs data between them. Makes for a very convenient transition.

Using N and P to navigate without expanding the full article also seems to prevent old items from popping up.

The seamless migration is very nice, and you're right it's a definite plus in its favor. I hope it (or something else) picks up enough traction to replace Readers role as a backend API. Feedly's blog says they have been working on a 1:1 mapping of it to their own servers, it would be great if developers moved to it. Their iOS app isn't bad, but I much prefer Reeder.

GasBandit

Staff member
Interestingly enough, I like feedly's android app's ui better than the official google reader app for android... but there seems to be a slight delay in syncing data between tablet and desktop. Though, I suppose that could be due to the mad stampede of users from reader to feedly. Supposedly feedly already has it's own back end almost ready to go that they call "Normandy" which they'll open to 3rd parties "once everything is stable."

More I use Feedly the more I'm liking it. Having some annoyance with the mouse behaviors, but the keyboard shortcuts work great. Really easy to send articles to Twitter and Facebook too. Still not wild about the mobile app.

GasBandit

Staff member
More I use Feedly the more I'm liking it. Having some annoyance with the mouse behaviors, but the keyboard shortcuts work great. Really easy to send articles to Twitter and Facebook too. Still not wild about the mobile app.
I dunno about the ios version, but for android, I just touch the first thing on "today" and then I can swipe side to side to go forward/back between items. One thing that surprised me is if you go to the original site/article (by touching the title at the top) it opens it within feedly, as in it has its own embedded browser. Again.. at least on android.

fade

Staff member
It's just me, but I've never had a need for a newsreader on my phone. Web browsing on my phone is always opportunistic rather than leisurely.

I have Flipboard on my phone for RSS feeds. It's definitely not something that I go to specifically, but if I have time to kill, it's nice to have the aggregation right there.

fade

Staff member
Also, Google Calendar seems to be dropping CalDAV support in favor of its private, closed API.

GasBandit

Staff member
"the old reader" intrigues me... pity they don't have a mobile app and you have to import subscriptions by XML and can't import starred/saved messages...

GasBandit

Staff member
Feedly is working fine over here.
Feedly's ok, when it's working right for me. I'm still occasionally having problems with it having things I've already read still marked as unread, and there is sometimes a lag in updating what's been read and what hasn't between the browser app and the mobile app. That, and I haven't successfully e-mailed an item from within it since I got it. Works fine in the mobile app because it uses android's gmail client to do so... but in browser, I can't seem to e-mail anything.