WGL dummy window fodder

I just shut down my media PC, and was briefly met with "wgl dummy window fodder is preventing Windows from shutting down" for a split second before that resolved and the computer shut down. That sounds like it could be rather shady. Does anyone know what that could be? Malware window hijacker or vaguely named legit program? Regardless I'll probably give it a good scan tomorrow, but I'm still curious if anyone has heard of it.

Windows 10 is the OS, whatever the latest service pack is.

GasBandit

Staff member
WGL is a graphics layer API (often but not exclusively used by Java for 3d graphics), and dummy windows are a common mechanic used in a lot of OEM bloatware from companies like Dell and Acer.

So, basically, it's not necessarily a virus, it might just be poorly coded manufacturer software. My guess is it probably isn't harmful despite being annoying. Does this pc have any OEM software (like Dell Update, etc) on it?

WGL is a graphics layer API (often but not exclusively used by Java for 3d graphics), and dummy windows are a common mechanic used in a lot of OEM bloatware from companies like Dell and Acer.

So, basically, it's not necessarily a virus, it might just be poorly coded manufacturer software. My guess is it probably isn't harmful despite being annoying. Does this pc have any OEM software (like Dell Update, etc) on it?

Nvidia experience is the only thing that comes to mind. It's a custom build, so no preloaded software, though thinking back it does have a Dell monitor that required some asanine installer to get all the features working. That stuff was uninstalled, but perhaps not fully.