What do you say to Facebook friends that post shit like this?

[DOUBLEPOST=1410865716,1410865613][/DOUBLEPOST]Whether you're a fan of the president or not, surely, any educated person can understand that these kinds of memes are utter bullshit. How does one approach Facebook friends in explaining why it's ridiculous and stupid to post crap like this?

Dave

Staff member
Doesn't help to say anything. Their minds are made up and they hate the guy, probably because he's darker and has that evil (D) by his name. I'll bet these people gave a pass to Bush and Bush Sr. for doing the same stuff. Probably not Clinton, though.

So you say nothing because it'll do nothing. Your choices are to remove the post or block the person.

Yeah, I just unfriend people. When a position is so extreme that even GB (or me when it comes to liberal issues) would say WTF, people are beyond being reasoned with.

The following steps are what I have taken and found that help. In truth, I believe it is the only solid way. Works 100% of the time and any fallout from it is usually very short lived and easily fixed.

Step 1: Don't have a facebook account
Step 2: ....
Step 3: Profit

Additional step to be used when someone asks "Why aren't you on facebook?": Clearly state in a firm and confident voice, but making sure you stay humble, not egotistical, "I don't like facebook. I don't use it. "

GasBandit

Staff member
For the longest time I didn't have a facebook account. I only recently had to create one to do some digging on a personal matter, and even though I barely did anything on it I hate the multiple daily e-mails.

Dave

Staff member
I have one because I like Bejeweled and it helps me to see what's going on with some of my old friends. I've become a master at ignoring things. I did have a minister in Florida send me a book to try and get me to renounce my atheist ways, so I got that going for me.

For the longest time I didn't have a facebook account. I only recently had to create one to do some digging on a personal matter, and even though I barely did anything on it I hate the multiple daily e-mails.
You can unsubscribe from all Facebook emails

If I start getting inundated with stupid meme type stuff, I'll look at that individual's page and see how much of it is junk. If too much stuff is simply low quality reposts, I just block them. No point unfriending them, I still want them to see the stuff I post, but I don't need to see their stuff.

Most of the people left post their own stuff at least occasionally.

Also, you can block the source, rather than the friend. For instance, that might have been a share from a person or group, and your friend simply reshared it. By clicking in the upper right hand of the post you will see an option to block your friend, and if it's a share from someone else, you can block that.

There are a lot of things I've blocked - for instance a number of political groups that post nothing but incendiary stuff. Most of the stupid facebook quiz sites are blocked. A few of my friends seem to enjoy risque material I don't want on my facebook feed, so I've blocked a number of those.

That way I can still see their other inane posts about family and so forth. and if they do have their own political opinion, I'll see that, which is what I want. I'm not interested in thoughtless reposts of other people's work, just what my friends and family themselves are saying.

As far as that post, I'd say nothing. If I really felt the urge to comment on it and couldn't restrain myself, then I'd research the issue so I could do so from a position of knowledge. What exactly do these people think President Obama did that was illegal? What was his real authority? If you're going to bother to debunk something, be prepared.

But honestly it's not worth it. They didn't post it in order to have a discussion, they posted it in order to get your gall, and apparently it's working.

I'm no longer on Facebook. Can't say I miss it.
The following steps are what I have taken and found that help. In truth, I believe it is the only solid way. Works 100% of the time and any fallout from it is usually very short lived and easily fixed.

Step 1: Don't have a facebook account
Step 2: ....
Step 3: Profit

Additional step to be used when someone asks "Why aren't you on facebook?": Clearly state in a firm and confident voice, but making sure you stay humble, not egotistical, "I don't like facebook. I don't use it. "
Kindred spirits.[DOUBLEPOST=1410884386,1410884353][/DOUBLEPOST]
But honestly it's not worth it. They didn't post it in order to have a discussion, they posted it in order to get your gall, and apparently it's working.
Also this.

Photoshop a cute kitten into all these pictures and repost them. Eventually Facebook will be swarming with cute kittens and I'll finally have a reason to sign up.

Cajungal

Staff member
Political parrots are all over facebook and everywhere else. Hell, try listening to 5th graders talk about Obama like they understand anything at all. They're just imitating what they hear at home. Some people will never outgrow this and will always want information (or misinformation) translated to its simplest form.

Just gather your facts with documented sources and present your argument as clearly and concisely as possible.

Haha! J/k. Just trim your Facebook to the 10 people you actually give a shit about and take comfort in the fact that statistically this person probably doesn't vote.

Silly me, I forgot to post the insightful text that accompanied the meme picture!

I TOLD EVERYONE THIS BASTARD IS A TERRORIST AND IS THE ONE BIN LADEN WAS TALKING ABOUT IN HIS VIDEOS BEFORE HE DIED.... "WE WILL BRING YOU DOWN FROM THE INSIDE" JUST LIKE I BELIEVE US KILLING BIN LADEN WAS ONE OF THEIR PLANS SO OBAMA WON OVER THE AMERICAN PEOPLE!!!!

I tend not to make friends with these kinds of people, so I don't know.

If my grandmother had Facebook, this is the type of shit she would post.

Silly me, I forgot to post the insightful text that accompanied the meme picture!
Yeah, so if the person who wrote it an originally posted it was my friend, I would be blocking them. If one of my friends shared it, I'd be blocking the originator, and looking at my friend's feed to see if there's any redeeming value to it, any good reason to not block them.

Eh, this guy is alright in person. He's not the brightest bulb and has a very conservative mindset (obviously). It's a shame really, I do like talking sports with the guy.

I'd love to actually present the actual case by case analysis and debunk that meme. I'm not an ardent Obama supporter either, but it's just plain false information. The problem is, as Dave suggested, that these types of people are very entrenched in their world view, and get really defense really fast. I've had it out with this particular fellow before, and it just resulted in "stop drinking the Kool-Aid", and "you don't know the real facts" mantra.

I have a Facebook account. I check it every...90 days or so?
I have to be careful who I tell. Saying, "I don't pay attention to Facebook" is like when I say, "I don't watch television/I don't have cable/I don't have Netflix" because they then look at me as though I have lobsters coming out of my ears.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Eh, this guy is alright in person. He's not the brightest bulb and has a very conservative mindset (obviously). It's a shame really, I do like talking sports with the guy.

I'd love to actually present the actual case by case analysis and debunk that meme. I'm not an ardent Obama supporter either, but it's just plain false information. The problem is, as Dave suggested, that these types of people are very entrenched in their world view, and get really defense really fast. I've had it out with this particular fellow before, and it just resulted in "stop drinking the Kool-Aid", and "you don't know the real facts" mantra.
I got told by a conservative friend of mine that because I voted Obama and think the ACA is a good idea that I was "morally bankrupt".

I got told by a conservative friend of mine that because I voted Obama and think the ACA is a good idea that I was "morally bankrupt".
"Huh. And all these years I thought I was morally bankrupt because of that incident with the fish in that fraternity..."

I made a special category in my friends list on FB for people like that. I called it acquaintances. I do not get their posts in my news feed and I have 95% of my posts set with "friends, except acquaintances" as the people who can see them. I can look through the list to see if they have said anything worthwhile and ignore their ridiculous crap.

fade

Staff member
That's way too much of my FB feed. I keep up with FB mostly because I've moved a lot for school and work, and I have 5 siblings and enough nieces and nephews that I've lost count. I just mentally filter it out. I have a "no politics" rule on FB. I don't engage in it, no matter how tempting. I will make general statements like "there sure are a not of poorly fact-checked images here".

Cajungal

Staff member
Speaking of dumb shit you've seen on facebook...it took everything I had not to say "the movie costs a bit less."