[Question] what does this pop-up even mean?

is this Microsoft asking me if I would recommend my computer, THAT I BUILT MYSELF, to others?(it popped up when i logged in after work tonight..)

I assume you are either being asked to vote based on your demographics (i.e., based on what components the hardware survey reports back to Microsoft), or on the idea of a "desktop" itself (as opposed to a phone, tablet, laptop, etc.).

--Patrick

is this Microsoft asking me if I would recommend my computer, THAT I BUILT MYSELF, to others?(it popped up when i logged in after work tonight..)
Yes. They collect data on hardware, cross check it with user experience, and then they get all the mediocre reports and find if there are common elements - a certain video card, for instance, or processor, or amount of memory.

They can then issue new drivers to improve the experience, or beat up the hardware suppliers to provide a better driver, or change their recommended system configurations to disallow that hardware in official "Made for Windows 10" builds, which then resolves a lot of user problems.

They don't really care whether the computer has a manufacturer or not, or whether it was modified after purchase.