Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fuck ‘em both!

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other (explain in thread)

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Dave

Staff member
Due to monetary concerns I need to make some cuts. I currently give $50 a month to two charities - Save the Children and the ASPCA. I need to give one of these up. Which one and why?

Dave

Staff member
Could you not split the amount and donate half to each?
I thought about this but they each make it very easy to start but very difficult to amend or cancel. In fact, you have to CALL the ASPCA to make any changes, probably to hard sell or guilt you into not canceling or giving more. I think I can do StC online.

Based on some googling it looks like save the children does more with the money they take in and compensates their executives less.

ASPCA
~75% goes to programs
800k compensation for top CEO

Save the children
~85% goes to programs
540k goes to CEO

Knowing little of the inner workings of either organization I can say that I would give to organizations that help people over animals any day, if I were forced to make the choice.

Reactions: Cat
Honestly my recommendation would be that neither of these charities would miss your $50 a month. A more localized charity though like your local animal shelter or community organization groups would do more with your money.
I agree with @phil. Cut them both, and try to find a local charity to give $50 per month. Or, cut both and keep the $100 per month - you probably could use it. Then find a local charity and devote 2 days per month volunteering (if possible).

Dave

Staff member
"SCUS is a member of Save the Children Association (SCA), a Swiss membership organization. SCA currently has 29 independent, autonomous, nonprofit, private voluntary membership organizations that bear the name Save the Children or a related designation (the Members). SCA created Save the Children International (SCI), a United Kingdom based charitable entity, of which SCA is the sole member, and therefore, SCI is a wholly owned subsidiary of SCA.

Dave

Staff member
So related but not. Looks like the ASPCA might win this one even though I’ve given to StCUS for about 5 years.

I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but if I can't reliably meet my own needs, I don't donate to anything.
No sense giving money away if I'm not on solid enough financial footing myself.

--Patrick
Nah, that's called common sense. A lot of donations and charity funding doesn't go to the intended party anyway. I've always seen it as a cathartic outlet for people who believe in shit like karma. I mean, if that's your bag, and you like donating to charities, go for it.

I don't usually give to national groups. So far, the most I spend on any charity is at Donor's Choose. My local schoolteachers will post projects that need funding, and if I don't think it's total crap, I usually give quite a bit there in a year. I just gave last week to supply an autistic/learning disabled classroom with a bunch of educational reusable sensory projects.