Wifi 6

OMG, I'm so behind the times on wifi technology. My previous wifi router was 802.11n. And it was lame, but it was good enough for the wife to surf the internet.

When we built the house in 2013, I had ethernet outlets stuck in every room--because cable is always faster than wifi, right? All of those cables ran to the basement, where I'd stuck a 2U wall-mounted rack. In that rack was a 1U 10 gigabit switch (along with a 1U power strip), and all of the cables in the house fed to it. My pc, my printer, and all of the rokus were hard wired and fast. Life was grand. The only thing that as wifi were our tablets, phones and my wife and son's pcs. And the wifi speeds were generally good enough for them.

So, a couple months ago, while I was still in the house, I was trying to mitigate the terrible wifi reception I had in the basement. We were spending a little more time down there watching the big TV, playing pool, etc, but phones and tablet connections sucked. Upstairs, on the top floor it sucked too, but we mostly just piddled a little bit on phones before bed, so I didn't really care that much.

To fix the basement issue, I got a Nighthawk Wifi 6 router and stuck it down there. Not only did it work great, I could see it from the top freaking floor of the house. So I ditched the 802.11n router, and made the Nighthawk my primary wifi source in the middle level. Everything was awesome. But I really didn't have time to think about the ramifications, because I was in the middle of prepping to sell the house and move.

So, when we moved to the apartment last month, I realized I wasn't going to be able to wire everything. So all the rokus went on wifi. My printer went on wifi. And I got a wifi 6 card for my pc. Everything seemed just as fast as when I was wired. So I decided to do a speed test today.

1626693412096.png

Well, it turns out Wifi 6 has a max throughput of 9.6Gbps, and cat6 is 10. A minimal difference.

Call me a convert. I'll never fish cable through a wall again :D The problem with getting old is that you start viewing technology through these truisms you learn when you were younger. Wifi is slower than cable has been a mantra of mine for a long time, especially when my wife would complain about her internet speed vs mine. I just figured it was a given that a direct connection would always be significantly faster. Good thing that this old dog can learn new tricks, I guess.

Last edited:
WiFi 6 (802.11ax) is fantastic. Unlike 802.11n (now known as WiFi 4, I think), it supports beamforming (directional throw for longer distance), higher speeds (up to 9.6Gbps), WPA3 encryption, and about 4x the number of clients (handy for all your add'l IoT devices).

But what's really going to make WiFi 6 catch on is that it can talk to more than one device at a time. It's the WiFi equivalent of moving from a single-core CPU to a multi-core CPU. Even better, thanks to something called "BSS Color," your network will be better about ignoring interference from other nearby networks because it will know those packets come from your neighbor's house and so it will just ignore them entirely.

On top of all that, WiFi 6 adds a 6GHz band to the existing 2.4GHz* and 5GHz bands to expand coverage and give an alternative to those other, more crowded bands (which are shared with microwave ovens, Bluetooth, baby monitors, etc). This 6GHz band also allows WiFi 6 to overcome one of the biggest Achilles heels of previous WiFi generations. With older WiFi standards, when you use one router to wirelessly extend the range of another, you sacrifice HALF that router's speed (minimum!) to the overhead required to relay the signal. Traditionally (if you were handy enough) you would run a physical cable to that second router in order to handle the backhaul and avoid this slowdown, but many WiFi 6 routers use their new 6GHz band (combined with the new ability to talk to multiple devices simultaneously) as a way to handle that backhaul wirelessly and without the slowdown.

Now for the bad news. You won't get ALL the benefits of WiFi 6 until you replace all your existing older equipment. And your neighbors do, too. So you'll still probably want to keep some cable and switches around, if only to hook up older devices once you've disabled their older on-board WiFi to keep them from dragging you down.

--Patrick
*The 2.4GHz band is not used by 802.11ac/WiFi 5

I was just going to ask how that third band works. I have quite a few bits of hardware around that still can only use the 2.4GHz connection, I don't think I have a single dongle or wireless item that can use 6GHz. I look forward to the moment I could have actual broadband everywhere in the house, rather than just in the wired spots, though.

I’ve been thinking of updating my UniFi ap’s to the WiFi 6 version, but haven’t pulled the plug yet. I just don’t have enough hardware that can use it to justify it yet.

Well I guess don't bother because...
...seems like since WiFi 7 is so close, people are expected to just leapfrog right over WiFi 6 and 6E and just go straight to WiFi 7 once products start coming out. It's going to be just like Cat 4 cables and IPv5 networking.

--Patrick

30 Gbps? Yeah, that's going to be real useful for me in my everyday life in the near future.
Neat and all, but it's also more than the actual fiberoptic cable running to my house can handle, sooooo I guess I can connect my Blueray player wirelessly to my TV if I really want to? So I can watch my...2GB DVDs?

The biggest advantage isn't really the speed (since most US consumers will hit their monthly data cap if they try to sustain that kind of speed), it's that multiple devices will be able to talk simultaneously, that the 6GHz band is mostly open, that devices on your LAN can ignore devices on other LANs, that they support WPA3, etc.

--Patrick

Well I guess don't bother because...
...seems like since WiFi 7 is so close, people are expected to just leapfrog right over WiFi 6 and 6E and just go straight to WiFi 7 once products start coming out. It's going to be just like Cat 4 cables and IPv5 networking.
Ok soooo...WiFi 7 was officially certified today.
Qualcomm has over 450 products that leverage its Wi-Fi 7 modems, with 200 mobile devices, notebooks, and XR products slated to launch and another 250 access points and routers that use Qualcomm tech set to debut.
...and that's just Qualcomm. No real idea on prices yet, though.

--Patrick