[Rant] Wow, the internet can get fucked

The trolls have harassed her out of her livelihood.

Did I say Omni-Man was the hero we deserve? No, the hero we deserve is a Freakazoid/Omni-Man hybrid. Able to reach through the internet and *then* go all Omni-Man.

With Ms. Ellis, nothing is simple. She has done numerous literary reviews in the past (see "It's Lit" via PBS), and she appears to have finally gotten away from YT/Omelas/whatever video services she was using because of... what I presume is cancel culture?

Dammit. I liked her semi-drunk rantings about "popular" literary classics.

I've heard the name and not much else (aside from the possible Le Guin reference)
Is there a way you can encapsulate the situation for us without your head (or the word count) exploding too much?

--Patrick
I’ll try to summarize it in a condensed way:

Lindsay Ellis first became known as a companion to the Nostalgia Critic way back when (she was “The Nostalgia Chick” if I recall). She earned a reputation for funny and informative video essays that examined pop culture.

Eventually she moved on and formed her own channel(s) where she posted video essays. Since she’s an educated woman talking about gender and politics, she attracted a lot of unwanted attention from online trolls.

Then, during this past March, she tweeted a rather innocent observation that Raya and the Last Dragon was very similar to Avatar: The Last Airbender. For reasons I can’t fully explain, this was seen as racist by many of the dipshits on Twitter. I think it was something along the lines of “she’s comparing a movie with a mostly Asian cast/setting to another one! That makes her racist!” She had completely valid points about the similar structure of the two stories, but that didn’t matter.

So she was getting hate from alt-right trolls for existing, and hate from the dumbass left for appearing to not be racially sensitive enough. Cancel-culture reared it’s ugly head, people dog piled on her without actually looking into the truth, and thus she got tired of all the shit. And now she’s quitting the internet.

And yes, that was the condensed version.

Last edited:
I feel like you can't really do anything remotely 'public' on the internet without getting your share of trolls. I'm not even remotely as famous as some of these people, especially not Ms. Ellis, and I've had my share. It's part of the territory.

But I think it's perfectly valid to say "I've had enough of this bullshit" and just walk away.

I seem to recall that she'd had an abortion in the past, and she was quite open about it during her Nostalgia Chick days, so she was already drawing ire from the more conservative sections of the Internet even then.