Writers and Actors Guild of America Strike 2023

Welp, the writers in Hollywood are on strike, which means that, unless this is settled fast, we're about see repeats of the 2007 strike.

The Writer's Guild of America (WGA) are being very transparent about their demands, too. This isn't just about pay, although that is part of it. This is also about how they were screwed by the shift the streaming. How streaming platforms have zero transparency about their viewership, which means there are no bargaining tools if the writer wants to renegotiate or ask about getting a second season. It's also arguing against AI, something that is becoming an ongoing fight against corporations.

Naturally, I'm in favor of the strike, as writers often get the short end of the stick when it comes to Hollywood. What I'm most curious about is the aftermath of it, how long it'll go, and how that will affect any current productions. The second season of House of the Dragon, for example, won't face any delays as all the scripts were handed in. However, that ALSO means they can't legally do any reshoots or rewrites. They'll have to use the scripts as is. Things like this nearly killed shows back in 2007, like the second season of Heroes.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh boy, here comes more "Reality TV".

Adam Conover went on CNN to talk about how the MediaCorps "pleading poverty" is ridiculous when the requested compensation for all the writers doesn't even equal the CEO's pay last year.

Studios Demand Showrunners Work During Writers Strike

I hope every single showrunner spits in the studios' faces from the picket line.

Warner Bros Discovery’s Hour-Long Earnings Call Omits Any Mention Of WGA Strike, But CEO David Zaslav Tells CNBC He Believes “A Love For Working” Will End It

Well, if that's the case, let's cut his pay and bonuses entirely and see how much that love for working works out for him.

I hope every single showrunner spits in the studios' faces from the picket line.
Yeesh. Saying they don't need to pay them while they're on strike, threatening to sack them if they strike & frantically trying to imply that they'd be better off resigning from the WGA and keeping working during the strike, using very similar language to Amazon et al when they're desperately trying to stop people forming unions.

Spitting in their faces is to good for them.

figmentPez

Staff member

Andor is Also Resuming Production During the Writers Strike
"showrunner Tony Gilroy is doing non-writer duties for his hit show."

Tony Gilroy has told The Hollywood Reporter that he is no longer performing any non-writing duties for Andor, the Disney+ Star Wars show he created and runs. In a statement, Gilroy responded to criticism he received from a fellow Writers Guild member for performing such services during the WGA’s strike against the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, which represents studios and streamers.

Just when you think Hollywood executives couldn't be any more moustache-twirling, reprehensible fucks, they go and prove you wrong.

"The endgame is to allow things to drag on until union members start losing their apartments and losing their houses,” a studio executive told Deadline. Acknowledging the cold-as-ice approach, several other sources reiterated the statement. One insider called it “a cruel but necessary evil."

Not to put to fine a point on it, but isn't that exactly where unions are supposed to come in? Union dues paid while working to support members during strikes?
If the union can't ensure the members' living, the fuck die they spend their money on?

Not to put to fine a point on it, but isn't that exactly where unions are supposed to come in? Union dues paid while working to support members during strikes?
If the union can't ensure the members' living, the fuck die they spend their money on?
The WGA does have a strike fund, but that money isn't infinite and will run out, dues aren't coming in while on strike obviously. That's entirely the executives goal, run both the union and the individuals out of money.

Anyone can donate to the fund here. If you are not in a place where you can donate (which is totally understandable), please at least consider sharing the link.

Just when you think Hollywood executives couldn't be any more moustache-twirling, reprehensible fucks, they go and prove you wrong.

"The endgame is to allow things to drag on until union members start losing their apartments and losing their houses,” a studio executive told Deadline. Acknowledging the cold-as-ice approach, several other sources reiterated the statement. One insider called it “a cruel but necessary evil."

Deadspin has been doing PR for the studios this whole strike. This feels like more fear mongering to scare the writers. The studios leads are terrified and fucked if they even have one bad quarter right now.

Bob Iger, a man who makes 75000 dollars an hour, says that the demands of the writers and actors are disturbing to him.

Strike the whole system to pieces actors/writers. Let the directors (the whiniest guild towards the others unions in this whole situation) write and act in all their own movies.

Strike the whole system to pieces actors/writers. Let the directors (the whiniest guild towards the others unions in this whole situation) write and act in all their own movies.
You want only Kevin Smith films? Because that's how you get only Kevin Smith films.

(I know that he's not the only director who does this. The ones that can are few and far between, with varying degrees of success.)

GasBandit

Staff member
You want only Kevin Smith films? Because that's how you get only Kevin Smith films.

(I know that he's not the only director who does this. The ones that can are few and far between, with varying degrees of success.)
Tarentino's gonna taste a whole lotta starlet feet is what I'm hearing.

They scheduled the premier an hour earlier just to hopefully get the cast there, but once the time to strike hit, they all left.

figmentPez

Staff member
I've heard some cultures believe that a camera can steal your soul. Hollywood executives seem to have taken that as inspiration.

Hollywood wants cameras to be able to steal souls.png

This does not feel out of character for the studio, and "ground floor zero" sounds like the ideal starting point for negotiations. In that spirit, I would recommend the background actor propose at least a $75million counteroffer (or $150million if a CA resident), and then they can both negotiate towards something more reasonable.

--Patrick