X-Com 2 : Anticipation Station

I'll be honest, I didn't expect the remake to be great.... but in the end I enjoyed it more than I did the original series. It can be awesome just like it can be cruel, all within a round of battle.

The 2nd game went cannon with mankind "losing" to the aliens, now you fight a different kind of struggle against them and their collaborators.

Overall, I'm pretty excited about the game, solid gameplay.... there's however A LOT of changes... and I'm not sure how I feel about the thus far,

Who else is looking at this closely?

Wait, mankind lost? I was over here stripping my soldiers of their humanity and turning them into gene-spliced, mechanical monstrosities for nothing?

Reactions: Dei

Dave

Staff member
I'll play it. I love the X-Com games.

Never finished the last one, though. I downloaded Long War and it was, well, LONG!

I was terrible, though enjoyed X-Com, as well as the original. I'll likely toss my hat in for the sequel.

Wait, mankind lost? I was over here stripping my soldiers of their humanity and turning them into gene-spliced, mechanical monstrosities for nothing?
They looked at how most players did on their first playthrough, and realized that the majority lost/had to start over fairly early in the game. So, they took that and reasoned that's how humanity would have done if X-Com was real. It makes sense.

I fucking LOVED the remake, and I'm excited as hell for this.

:D

They looked at how most players did on their first playthrough, and realized that the majority lost/had to start over fairly early in the game. So, they took that and reasoned that's how humanity would have done if X-Com was real. It makes sense.

I fucking LOVED the remake, and I'm excited as hell for this.

:D
The vibe I always got from the game was "They fucked with the wrong planet, we're going to reverse engineer their tech and kick their assess. WELCOME TO EARF!"

The vibe I always got from the game was "They fucked with the wrong planet, we're going to reverse engineer their tech and kick their assess. WELCOME TO EARF!"
I mean, yeah. But you have to survive the first wave to get to that part. Apparently most people didn't. As I understand it, the in-game story is that it wasn't even close. Aliens showed up, X-Com tried to fight back with conventional weapons, and the aliens were all like "Hahaha... no."

So what you're saying is, most people sucked and never got any better?

I never thought about what would happen if you lose eight countries. For some players, losing just wasn't an acceptable resolution.

So what you're saying is, most people sucked and never got any better?

I never thought about what would happen if you lose eight countries. For some players, losing just wasn't an acceptable resolution.
No, I'm just saying most people sucked on the initial playthrough. And if it were real life, there would not have been a reset button, so aliens would have won.

This reminds me of how, apparently, the canon champion of the first Virtua Fighter game is Lau, because the winner of the first actual Virtua Fighter game tournament used Lau to win the championship match. That's what I heard, anyway.

Practically cried when they pushed back the release date 3 months. But so far I'm liking the way it seems to be coming together.
They've kept the stuff that was awesome: the tactical gameplay while retooling the stuff that was merely okay like the base building. Pretty much a guaranteed winning formula for an xcom game. Now if only they can avoid the siren call of going down the X-com Enforcer and X-com Interceptor routes I think they will have a long successful run with the Xcom reboot.

I'm annoyed that I haven't had the time to play on my built-for-gaming PC yet. Playing a little on my laptop was...not bad, but overall a little frustrating. I'm not sure what changed under the hood, but it's not like XCOM 2 was such a huge visual upgrade over the first one, and my laptop ran the first one smooth like butter.

I'm annoyed that I haven't had the time to play on my built-for-gaming PC yet. Playing a little on my laptop was...not bad, but overall a little frustrating. I'm not sure what changed under the hood, but it's not like XCOM 2 was such a huge visual upgrade over the first one, and my laptop ran the first one smooth like butter.
As someone WITH a made-for-gaming PC...prepare to be a little disappointed. I'm running with a GTX980 ti, i7 5930k @ 4.2ghz and 16GB of DDR4 RAM and the thing still chugs in places. It's fairly poorly optimized. The only reason I'm not smashing down walls in frustration is because it IS turn-based so it doesn't matter at the end of the day.

As someone WITH a made-for-gaming PC...prepare to be a little disappointed. I'm running with a GTX980 ti, i7 5930k @ 4.2ghz and 16GB of DDR4 RAM and the thing still chugs in places. It's fairly poorly optimized. The only reason I'm not smashing down walls in frustration is because it IS turn-based so it doesn't matter at the end of the day.
There's that PC exclusive goodness :p.[DOUBLEPOST=1456587057,1456586993][/DOUBLEPOST]
Even without visual upgrades, the more processes going on, the harder the game has to work. To put it in console perspective, they got the original running on phones and the Vita. Does XCOM 2 feel like it would run well on a phone or handheld? Doesn't look like it to me.

Even without visual upgrades, the more processes going on, the harder the game has to work. To put it in console perspective, they got the original running on phones and the Vita. Does XCOM 2 feel like it would run well on a phone or handheld? Doesn't look like it to me.
The non-visual processes don't really need a powerful graphics card to perform well, they need a decent amount of RAM and a good CPU, which is rarely the bottleneck these days unless the machine is really old (which my laptop is not).

What is XCOM-2 doing in the background that XCOM did not?

EDIT: I suppose it's not impossible that they're doing some crazy Nemesis-system like simulator in the background that needs to offload to the GPU to run, but you'd think they'd mention something like that as a feature.

Last edited:
Also, funny trick. If you turn caps lock on while loading back to base, it will load faster. I don't know why. It's the weirdest shit ever.