[Question] Ya ever gone to an esports thing?

So Dreamhack is happening in Austin this next weekend. I'm thinking about going since tickets are only about 20 bucks for Friday (the only day I can go) and Austin isn't that far from where I live.

I think it'd be fun to see some of my favorite games live n' stuff but I've never been to a big Lan like this. My fear of course is that I end up wasting a day off, money etc. Plus I'd be going alone.

I dunno, have you ever gone to something like that? How'd you like it? Were there big delays that kinda ruined it? Were you able to see all the things you liked? I'd hate to get there and just can't see any HOTS or hearthstone at all since it's like 300 seats but I fucked up ans got there 5 minutes after opening.

Remember when someone (who has since left) asked if anyone knew how to acquire a mail order bride?

Good times.

Dave

Staff member
I think eSports are kinda dumb and I don't know why! I mean, how is this different from watching normal sports? It's not. I know that in my head. But in my heart I feel differently.

I think eSports are kinda dumb and I don't know why! I mean, how is this different from watching normal sports? It's not. I know that in my head. But in my heart I feel differently.
One is likely to involve kids that should get off your lawn, the other is guaranteed to involve kids that should get off your lawn.

Reactions: Dei
I have become obsessed with watching Hearthstone, and I don't really know why. It still confuses me why I get so much enjoyment watching people play a digital card game.

After playing Overwatch for awhile I have no idea how it's going to be an esports thing. Shit happens so quickly that it's nearly impossible to watch Live without tons of replays and slo-mos.

After playing Overwatch for awhile I have no idea how it's going to be an esports thing. Shit happens so quickly that it's nearly impossible to watch Live without tons of replays and slo-mos.
Ehhh, I don't think it's any more chaotic than CoD really.

I dunno, there's a lot more colorful explosions and the maps are more vertically-accessible thanks to Hanzo/Widowmaker and flying characters.

Maybe it'll slow down when there are more experienced teams going head-to-head, though.

For me it has to do with the lack of physical ability (blah, blah, reaction times, blah. I'm not big on nascar for similar reasons).

Watching people in the top of their field can be fascinating and highly entertaining, but I think the insistence on calling it esports draws a comparison that I don't think works.

I mean, who actually cares what it's called. It's something people do to make money that people watch for their own entertainment.

I figure it's just because it all came from a time when everything online was e-something or other, and since it's a bunch of people in arena settings being watched by a ton of other people "sport" was the first word drawn from the e-hat.

I suppose my rationale is I simply can't stand watching other people play video games. But you're right, people do make money off that stuff (why Twitch is a big thing). I mean my definition of what esports are is similar to what "sports" like ESPN poker are.

I totally get why people can't get into it. It took me a while to warm up to the idea of spending time watching other people play a game. I think being about 5 years behind the current gaming scene (just now started dragon age origin) helped in that I really wanted to know what everyone was talking about.

When The Last of Us came out I ended up watching an entire let's play so that I could see the story. After that I started watching videos of people playing games I actually were playing like Hearthstone. Those are fun for me because I understand what's going on and can think about what I would do, or see a new strategy that I hadn't thought of.

But I still can't really get into other games that I don't know about. Like there's going to be a counter strike tournament but I don't know anything about that so even if I do stop by to watch a bit, it'll look as familiar as say cricket or rugby. Things will be happening and it'll look neat but I won't even know who's winning.

I grew up in a sports family, so I know the rules and the plays and all the things about them, I still tend to get bored watching them, unless it's a championship game or something.

I usually can't stand watching people play games, unless they're either good at it (and I can pick up tips on how to play - Quill18 comes to mind) or they're genuinely entertaining, or are able to pull off both (Jingles fits this last nicely).

But paying to go to a live event? Ehhh.... not unless there was another draw, like turning it into a mini-convention or something... But then again, I only recently went to my first baseball game ever, so YMMV.