YOU LIE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
Decorum is no more. But at least the Republicans are also speaking out against this guy.

For a second, Obama looked like he would have punched the guy in the face if he was standing in front of him. There was nothing you could construe as "taken aback", it was all "are you fucking serious, douchebag?".

God, you're not kidding. There's like a second where you can see him pondering the possibility - Is Obama gonna have to choke a bitch?

I like that after several like "Joe Wilson shit in your kitchen", I got "Joe Wilson is an elected official who seems to be using party-line rhetoric as a tool rather than thoughtful debate and is actually hindering real progress in society which is a shame as we're a smart country and should expect more of the people we elect"

I like that after several like "Joe Wilson shit in your kitchen", I got "Joe Wilson is an elected official who seems to be using party-line rhetoric as a tool rather than thoughtful debate and is actually hindering real progress in society which is a shame as we're a smart country and should expect more of the people we elect"
[/QUOTE]

:rofl:I haven't gotten that one! Most of them make me giggle a bit, though.

I wonder how many committees he will be sitting on?

I can't wait to hear what Rush, O'Reilly, and Beck have to say about this douche. They will likely make him a martyr for their cause of no civility in politics.

GasBandit

Staff member

I can't wait to hear what Rush, O'Reilly, and Beck have to say about this douche. They will likely make him a martyr for their cause of no civility in politics.
Heh, have you ever watched a session of parliament when the PM was giving a speech? Those guys know how to really tear up a room.

Heh, have you ever watched a session of parliament when the PM was giving a speech? Those guys know how to really tear up a room.[/QUOTE]

I like to think Americans have more class than the British.

Even then, the Harrumph and interrupt, boo and wail. There is not much of calling the PM a bloody liar.

Remember, The Prez is our Head of State. Their Head of State is the Queen. I doubt anyone would call Liz a liar at a joint meeting of the Houses of Parliament.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Heh, have you ever watched a session of parliament when the PM was giving a speech? Those guys know how to really tear up a room.

Even then, the Harrumph and interrupt, boo and wail. There is not much of calling the PM a bloody liar.

Remember, The Prez is our Head of State. Their Head of State is the Queen. I doubt anyone would call Liz a liar at a joint meeting of the Houses of Parliament.[/QUOTE]
It's specifically against protocol to call any member, not just the Prime Minister, a liar or to outright insult them. So to avoid being reprimanded, MPs have to find creative ways of shouting down the opposition. That's what makes Parliament funky.

T

ThatNickGuy

Heh, have you ever watched a session of parliament when the PM was giving a speech? Those guys know how to really tear up a room.[/QUOTE]

So true. As Robin Williams once said, "Parliament is like a senate meeting, but with a two-drink minimum."

When I heard about this outcry, I immediately thought, "Parliament?!"

Guy's a douche. A rude, annoying douche.

But still... I find it odd how short our memories are in America. Hearing people (not necessarily here mind you) whine about how mean and rude this evil republican is, etc, etc is hilarious and how it's just the first time something so horrendous has ever happened in the always polite American political machine OMG!!!!11
Does no one remember Bush getting boo'd and heckled during his State of the Union in 2005? THAT was embarrassing. Just as embarrassing as this if not more so since it was a hell of a lot more folks doing it than this one lone kook.

There has always been a certain level of grumbling when a President addresses certain topics that the opposition party dislikes. But to call out actual fighting words is quite different.

Oh and I should add, it's only that sort of thing that's making me laugh, getting upset at this guy is right on, I wish more people would express their displeasure with their representatives and let them know they won't be vote for them just cause of the (r) or (d) after their name. We should expect more of our representatives.

GasBandit

Staff member

Heh, have you ever watched a session of parliament when the PM was giving a speech? Those guys know how to really tear up a room.[/quote]

Remember, The Prez is our Head of State. Their Head of State is the Queen. I doubt anyone would call Liz a liar at a joint meeting of the Houses of Parliament.[/QUOTE]

The queen is their figurehead. The president is not a monarch.

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 PM ----------

It's also interesting to note that, despite Obama's assertions to the contrary, there is no language in the house bill excluding illegal aliens, and democrats refused on two separate occasions to allow an amendment stipulating that persons in the country illegally would not be covered.

I remember hearing a story about our provincial House of Assembly. A Liberal representative was making some sort of speech, or point, and a Progressive Conservative party member's voice went so hoarse from shouting catcalls, that he ended up just throwing ice cubes for the rest of the speech.

What a classy guy.

But these guys are the spiritual successors to the house of parliament set up in colonial Newfoundland who met in a pub for several years. They just kept forgetting to introduce a motion to build a capitol building.

It's also interesting to note that, despite Obama's assertions to the contrary, there is no language in the house bill excluding illegal aliens, and democrats refused on two separate occasions to allow an amendment stipulating that persons in the country illegally would not be covered.
Is this true? Can you point me to a language of the house bill you're referring to?

Factcheck.org says otherwise.
http://www.factcheck.org/2009/08/seven-falsehoods-about-health-care/
H.R. 3200: Sec 246 — NO FEDERAL PAYMENT FOR UNDOCUMENTED ALIENS
Nothing in this subtitle shall allow Federal payments for affordability credits on behalf of individuals who are not lawfully present in the United States.

Is this true? Can you point me to a language of the house bill you're referring to?

Nothing in this subtitle shall allow Federal payments for affordability credits on behalf of individuals who are not lawfully present in the United States.
[/QUOTE]
I could be wrong, but I think that the issue wasn't that Obama is WRONG (he's technically correct, no illegal aliens will be covered officially) but the bill had nothing to CHECK for the status of people. So a illegal could get it since no one was asking if he/she was illegal or not.
At least that was what I remember it being about.
To be honest, it's all gonna cost so much why the hell not cover illegals. What's a another few trillion we don't have anyway?

GasBandit

Staff member
I could be wrong, but I think that the issue wasn't that Obama is WRONG (he's technically correct, no illegal aliens will be covered officially) but the bill had nothing to CHECK for the status of people. So a illegal could get it since no one was asking if he/she was illegal or not.
Yeah, that's how I should have phrased it, sorry. The bill makes no provision for checking on whether somebody is illegal or not. And I can't "link" to language that isn't there.

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

The queen is their figurehead. The president is not a monarch.
But they are both heads of state, no matter what their title technically is.[/quote]

Gas is referring to their Job responsibilities/abilities.[/quote]

Right, but I thought the issue at hand was the appropriate level of respect, more than their power or responsibility.[/quote]
The difference in "level of respect" is part of why the US doesn't have a monarchy. A president doesn't command the same level of deference as a king (or isn't supposed to), can be legally ousted from office either by vote or by impeachment, and can't issue edicts that instantly become law (though some "executive orders" over the last 10 or 20 years have blurred the line).

Should Joe Wilson have shouted "YOU LIE!" during the president's speech? No, clearly not. But do we have to treat Obama (Or Dubya, or Clinton, or...) the same way we would a king or queen? No, clearly not. England's prime minister is a closer analogue.

[/quote]
[/QUOTE]

Ah, that makes sense. A cursory web search turns up discussions about an amendment being defeated that wanted to use the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements program to identify and exclude illegal aliens.

So, the law excludes illegal aliens, but contains no enforcement or detection provisions, which pretty much guarantees (in my mind at least) that at least some, if not many, illegal aliens will illegally make use of those benefits.

K

Kitty Sinatra

To be honest, it's all gonna cost so much why the hell not cover illegals. What's a another few trillion we don't have anyway?
Up here in Ontariostan, the government issues a "Health Card" to each resident of the province. It's a little driver's licence sized card that we present when we see a doctor or go to the hospital. Illegal residents probably can't get one of these cards (or aren't supposed to anyway)

There is likely nothing about the Health Card in all our major health care Legislation. Certainly not in our Federal legislation, since it's more of a high concept bill and doesn't deal with the nitty gritty details of delivery of service

I'm sure your system will include something similar before it's done, but that's a detail. And if y'all are smart about introducing an effective universal(ish) health care system, the details will be left for each state to deal with as they see fit.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm sure your system will include something similar before it's done, but that's a detail.
We've gotten into some very bad spots by being "sure" something would be included in the final product and singing off on it site unseen.

And if y'all are smart about introducing an effective universal(ish) health care system, the details will be left for each state to deal with as they see fit.
That's also a very dangerous assumption to make about American Government.

Status
Not open for further replies.