[PC Game] Your top 5 Steam games?

If you were asked to list your 5 favorite games on Steam, what would you choose, and why? (I'm mainly asking for future game purchases when there's a sale)

For me:

1. Football Manager 2013. This game is slightly more addictive than crack cocaine for association football fans.

2. Skyrim. It's been said it has the breadth of an ocean and the depth of a puddle, but nonetheless it's an immersive experience that few other games can match. Plus the mods, the delicious delicious mods.

3. Just Cause 2. Otherwise known as "Crowning Moments of Awesome: The Game". The sheer size of the game world, and the wanton destruction you can cause with the wonky physics engine, makes this game a very memorable experience.

4. Portal 2. Fun, challenging, and hilarious.

5. Half-Life 2. This game set the standard for combining good gameplay with immersive storytelling at the time it was released, and even nowadays it still holds up fairly well. I bust it out every now and then for a playthrough.

(Honorable mention: Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, when combined with the Tale of Two Wastelands mod. This probably counts as two games though.)

I have so many games, I wasn't sure how to approach this, so I sorted my games by hours played. I figure the more time I've spent playing a game, the more I enjoy it.

Obviously the top ones are MMOs, so I'm excluding them.

Batman: Arkham City- To me, this is the pinnicle of the Arkham series. I know some prefer Asylum, but I think City is where they really nailed it. Muck like Spider-man 2 back in the day, I spent hours of this game just running around the city enjoying the gliding mechanics and engaging in random street fights.

Torchlight 1/2- In the pre-Diablo 3/Marvel Heroes/Path of Exile time period, the first game was just what I needed to scratch that point and click loot fest itch.

Borderlands 1/2- Just, play it. Either one, but play one.

Skyrim- I don't think that Skyrim needs any expanding on.

Titan's Quest- It's Diablo, but with the Judeo-Christian mythology swapped out for Greek mythology and it is glorious.

Honorable mentions (including the aforementioned MMOs):
Marvel Heroes
Mass Effect 2
DCUO
FF XIV
Saint's Row: The Third
Kindoms Of Amalur: Reckoning
Darksiders 1/2
Dragon Age: Origins

Going by time played and excluding MMOs and games that only have a high time played because I left them on for extended periods of time.

1. Skyrim - It's fucking Skyrim.

2. Fallout New Vegas - It's the real Fallout 3 and continues the story of Fallout's 1 and 2.

3. Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014 - Yeah, fuck off, I like Magic.

4. Mount and Blade Warband - It's easy to sink billions of hours into this game. Part kingdom building, part medieval noble simulator, part dynasty warriors.

5. Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War: Dark Crusade - The best 40K game ever made and an RTS classic by Relic, who've made some of the best RTS game ever.

Wait, our favorite games or our games with the most hours played?

I don't think I could do a favorite games so here's my most played:

Team Fortress 2 - 761 hrs (This is a bit of a cheat, sort of, 400 of these hrs are my sister's before I took over her steam account HOWEVER my original account was close to 400 when I got it)
Awesomenauts - 647 hrs (This game deserves alot more attention than it has. Easily my favorite MOBA)
Skyrim - 627 hrs (At least 50+hrs just working on mods)
Left 4 Dead 2 - 580 hrs (Most of this is VS mode, too much fun)
Borderlands 2- 463 hrs (It takes alot of hours to play each character through all the DLC, through all the difficulty levels, and loot farming)
Mass Effect - 102 hrs (2 complete playthroughs with both karma paths, never did play ME2)

Last edited:
Really depends on how I count it. I mean, I have KOTOR II on Steam, but it's never been installed or played...It's one of my absolute favorite games, I just lost one of the discs and rebought it on sale. I have the "modern" C&C games on Steam, but they're all between mediocre and crap - while the earlier games are among my favorites. Some of my other favorite games are available on Steam, but I own them on GoG or on disc. Etc.

Anyway, I guess.....

KOTOR II
Civ IV
Civ V
Empire Total War
Neverwinter Nights II (the expansions and mods)

GasBandit

Staff member
Pre-2014:

Sins of a Solar Empire
Orcs Must Die 2
Borderlands 1&2
Left 4 Dead 2
Supreme Commander

Now -
Skyrim
Gnomoria
Killing Floor
Just Cause 2
Team Fortress 2

1. Dota 2

2. Binding of Issac/FTL

3. X-Com

4. Civ V

5. Assorted Warhammer 40K games. I can't keep myself away.

Now, if we were talking GoG games.....

Now, if we were talking GoG games.....
This may actually be harder - I definitely have a bigger GOG library....

Two Worlds
Baldur's Gate II
The Witcher
Divine Divinity
Heroes of Might and Magic (hey, I bought'm all in a pack so I can count them as one game right? :p)
...Fuck. I just realized I also own Neverwinter Nights II on GoG. And I own it on disc. I'm not even that big of a fan, why do I own it three times :confused:
Spellforce II
FTL

Excluding MMOs:

FFVII - 95 hours, was working on sidequests and grinding, etc

Civ IV - 46 hours, just one more turn.

Torchlight II - 36 hours, mod levels included.

Terraria - 24 hours, I feel like it was a lot more though.

Rogue Legacy - 15 hours. Goddamn this game is fun.

Adding MMOs:

DCUO - 43 hours
Marvel Heroes - 49 hours

And though it's not by time played, I would easily put Ys: Origins and Oath in Felghana, as well as Valdis Story: Abyssal City in my top 5. Challenging but super fun A-RPG/Metroidvanias.