Zap’s Next Project Development Thread

Zappit

Staff member
You probably read that Supervillainous is wrapping up in the near future, and I don’t want to wait long before launching a new project. I thought I’d dump sketches, concept art, WIP pages, etc...So, here’s the first ones.

I’m leaning towards black and white because I want to focus more on my line work and textures. I miss that, and have been slipping a bit of it into recent SV strips. The Apple Pencil has had an effect. But, just for the hell of it, I threw on a little color, just to see what it might look like.

I’m not quite as crazy about it this way, but it doesn’t look awful. Some storylines would benefit from a bit of color, too. It’s a hard decision.

Zappit

Staff member
I’m completely serious when I say Procreate has made all the difference in the world for this next project. That line variation is so EASY to achieve with really good control. I’m in art-love with it.

I’m completely serious when I say Procreate has made all the difference in the world for this next project. That line variation is so EASY to achieve with really good control. I’m in art-love with it.
Here's hoping you have lots of art-babies with it, and let us visit.

--Patrick

Zappit

Staff member
I have signed up for Spiderforest's next anthology project, and will be producing an original short-story comic. That won't be out for quite awhile, but it will be the first opportunity to get one of my works in print once that Kickstarter launches. I'm going to be giving that a good portion of my artistic attention, and it will help prep me for the new webcomic a bit more. I'm a bit excited, because I've wanted to do this story for a long time now, and it's one that I always thought was pretty good. It just never fit in with any of my other projects.

Zappit

Staff member

I think I’ve nailed down the design for the protagonist of my next comic, as well as the wristwatch-like gadget that will play a MAJOR role in the comic.

Zappit

Staff member
I think I might turn this into a comic strip format. I find myself very deeply torn between this and my old “Huzzah!” project.

BEDC09DA-7552-40A1-A159-0CD3508A02FA.jpeg

Zappit

Staff member
*why not both gif here*
Man, I’ve been considering that, too. I’d like to do what I did with Supervillainous and update twice a week, and it might be tricky to do that with one comic and do another on the side. I don’t think doing two weekly strips would work, either, since they would be telling ongoing stories.

Welcome to Infinity, which is what I’ve been posting in this thread, is meant to be total sci-fi humor in the vein of Futurama.

Huzzah! is a fantasy sitcom with bits of SFW Oglaf mixed in.

I’ve blended ideas before - that’s how I got Supervillainous. But these...don’t really blend well.

Man, I’ve been considering that, too. I’d like to do what I did with Supervillainous and update twice a week, and it might be tricky to do that with one comic and do another on the side. I don’t think doing two weekly strips would work, either, since they would be telling ongoing stories.

Welcome to Infinity, which is what I’ve been posting in this thread, is meant to be total sci-fi humor in the vein of Futurama.

Huzzah! is a fantasy sitcom with bits of SFW Oglaf mixed in.

I’ve blended ideas before - that’s how I got Supervillainous. But these...don’t really blend well.
Step one: clone yourself
Step two: have each clone make one comic
Step three: ???
Step four: profit!

Zappit

Staff member
I’ve done a lot of thinking over the last few weeks, and I’m realizing that my sci-fi comedy comic just...won’t hit the way I wanted it to given the way 2020 has been going. I had a storyline that lampooned QAnon but a big part of that was people wearing breathing masks. That really doesn’t come off the way I originally wanted it to. It could easily be interpreted as anti-mask bullshit. And that wasn’t the only storyline that suddenly developed issues due to current events.

So I’m going with Huzzah! I can still do a lot of the humor I originally intended, and I’m just going to expand the ancillary cast a bit to incorporate those elements. I mean, I jammed a half-dozen comic ideas to make Supervillainous, and it looks like I’m going down a similar path now.

Zappit

Staff member

Now here’s what I’m talking about! This is something I think I can get some years out of. Unlike Supervillainous, I’m saving print quality copies of these strips. Let me know what you think about this one, because I’m moving forward with this.

Last edited:

Zappit

Staff member
Hmm. I think I figured out how set up my lettering app for this new project, so that’s nice! I can still create print quality copies in that, too.

Zappit

Staff member
07D12B85-8421-4B0E-8A93-D5C6713C58CD.png

Just a panel from the next one. I’m actually moving pretty quickly. I think the ol’ twice a week update schedule is very likely.

Zappit

Staff member
I was wondering where we could find this comic? I am very excited and look forward to reading it.
It’s not live yet. I’m still making the first set of strips. After that, I have to build the site. Since I’m a member of Spiderforest, I’ll be going through them first. We’re just completing an application season, and will be creating sites for the newest members, so it could take awhile before it’s up and running. I’m honestly not trying to rush it, though. I think I’ve got a solid start and I want to keep that going.

Zappit

Staff member
Been awhile since I’ve updated this thread, and that’s largely because I was torn once again. The massive level of doubt I started to have about the Welcome to Infinity concept pushed me in a new direction. However, I’ve had time o think things over, and I actually figured out how to retool it to make it work the way I intended it to. I’ve put Huzzah! on hold to explore this, but, heck, why not have the first Huzzah! strip here, as a treat.

59DC34CA-FB64-4435-AEF9-A237B10282E7.png