[Funny] Zap’s Online Dating Thread

Zappit

Staff member
I realized after I started posting about the recent attempted catfishings, I might be able to write an entertaining saga about my online dating experience. Might even be therapeutic.

So, starting now, I’ll just post updates. I won’t revisit catfishings past. Everything will be brand new.

Currently: I’m talking to a couple women online. I just opened a dialogue with one, but I’ve been talking to the other for days; she has not set off any alarms or shown any red flags. We’re actually getting along quite well. The other one? We’ll see.

Reactions: Cat

Zappit

Staff member
I’ve currently got what I believe to be an active catfish attempt going on. “She” was very pushy about me posting photos of my license, and posted clearly photoshopped images of her passport. She also had more than a few questions about my income. Hmm. Yeah, no trust there,

Credit to @HCGLNS for noticing a wedding ring in one of “her” photos. There’s my out. Should be fun.

Zappit

Staff member
Just told “her” I saw the wedding ring, I’m not that kind of person, and I was out. I know “she” saw it. Then I blocked “her.”

Done with that one!
Post automatically merged:

I feel like the moment you realize they're a catfish you should just bail out without a word.
Probably. I’ve taken to asking for a photo with a note early on. It usually ends it immediately.

I think you should reverse-catfish. String them along with equally ludicrous excuses "My driver's license got stuck in that little crack where the window goes down, y'know? I was handing it to the cop who pulled me over after I hit that orphan. Worst day of my life, you have no idea how often you need a license until you don't have one."

I think you should reverse-catfish. String them along with equally ludicrous excuses "My driver's license got stuck in that little crack where the window goes down, y'know? I was handing it to the cop who pulled me over after I hit that orphan. Worst day of my life, you have no idea how often you need a license until you don't have one."
"I've applied for a new license though, it should be here next week. Until then, can I send you a picture of my student ID from high school? It's got my name and photo on it. I look a bit different now, though, because in high school I dyed my hair pink whereas now I dye my hair fluorescent green. Would that be ok?"

Zappit

Staff member
Well, I’m three days in with with this new girl. Zero red flags. She’s very endearing.

Hasn’t asked for money or personal information. Just friendly chats. She even says she’s quite financially secure and looking to start her own business I. The near future. She also showed me a picture of her crypto holdings.

She’s not evasive, doesn’t just agree with everything I say, and the photos she shared don’t show up anywhere on a reverse search.

She’s smart and close with her family. She’s also not trying to rush the relationship. We’re just enjoying each other’s company right now.

She’s absolutely adorable, to boot.

I have no real reason to believe she is fake. I think I’m smitten.

Zappit

Staff member
Aw, man. I hope it won’t be that. She didn’t bring up anything specific, and the topic came up organically.

I mean, bragging about how much crypto you have is pretty on-brand for people who have crypto. Though a woman being into crypto is…less common.

I mean, bragging about how much crypto you have is pretty on-brand for people who have crypto. Though a woman being into crypto is…less common.
I wasn't going to bring that up because of course women can be into crypto but no, cryptobros are definitely dudes.

Establishing your cover story as being well off is a very common strategy among scammers, they want to present themselves as someone who doesn't need to scam. Float that they're starting a business soon, bring up crypto to see if the mark will bite, within a couple of weeks they like you enough to "share" their business with you, you can totally get rich!

I wasn't going to bring that up because of course women can be into crypto but no, cryptobros are definitely dudes.
Now that I’m thinking about it I literally can’t think of a single time I’ve seen a woman talk about having crypto. Like, there has to be some, but I can’t think of a single outlier I’ve seen.

Edit: I just remembered grimes which is a whole thing.

Zappit

Staff member

Establishing your cover story as being well off is a very common strategy among scammers, they want to present themselves as someone who doesn't need to scam. Float that they're starting a business soon, bring up crypto to see if the mark will bite, within a couple of weeks they like you enough to "share" their business with you, you can totally get rich!
I guess we’ll see. She has stressed how she wants to be independent and not have to rely on anyone else, so it doesn’t seem like she’s looking for a partner or someone to share in her future venture.

Now that I’m thinking about it I literally can’t think of a single time I’ve seen a woman talk about having crypto. Like, there has to be some, but I can’t think of a single outlier I’ve seen.

Edit: I just remembered grimes which is a whole thing.
I have a female friend (whom I've known since she was like 7, so I know she's real lol) in her 30's and we occasionally talk crypto back and forth.

Zappit

Staff member
I have a female friend (whom I've known since she was like 7, so I know she's real lol) in her 30's and we occasionally talk crypto back and forth.
Yeah, it only came up when we were talking about our careers. She just makes a little supplemental income from crypto. She wasn’t trying to push it.

Zappit

Staff member
Not much to report lately. I had another catfishing attempt - someone really pushing for my phone number. Nope!

I am still chatting with a woman every day now. She hasn’t asked for money/information a scammer would want. She hasn’t pushed any “investment” opportunities. We exchanged dog photos the other night. She does work and is busy during the day, but we talk regularly during the late afternoon. She also writes little “good afternoon” notes.

We’re definitely starting as friends, but I could see this going somewhere. She knows about my health situation and has been cheering me on. She’s in New York and I’m in Massachusetts, but she’s already mentioned taking a walk together in Central Park when things align.

Zappit

Staff member
Plenty of Fish is a raging garbage fire of a dating site. I’ve made almost two dozen contacts, and one has been real. Dozens of fake profiles soliciting show up daily, and no one seems to trust anyone else to be real anymore. There’s a streaming feature for paying members, but it seems like most users are just streaming to stream. I’m going to jump to OkCupid. I’ve been on the free account so far, but the profiles and questions seem to deter the scammers. It’s looks easier to find people there.

Plenty of Fish is a raging garbage fire of a dating site. I’ve made almost two dozen contacts, and one has been real. Dozens of fake profiles soliciting show up daily, and no one seems to trust anyone else to be real anymore. There’s a streaming feature for paying members, but it seems like most users are just streaming to stream. I’m going to jump to OkCupid. I’ve been on the free account so far, but the profiles and questions seem to deter the scammers. It’s looks easier to find people there.
OKC is where I met my wife.

Of the two, I always liked OKC more.

Plenty of Fish is a raging garbage fire of a dating site.
My wife: "Plenty of Fish?" (She's never heard of it).
Me: "Yeah, or PoF. Like 'There's plenty of fish in the sea.'" (I've never used it, but I've had to help people troubleshoot the site/app/whatever/justpleasegetmeoutofhere)
My wife: "Oh, I get where it's from. I just like the idea that it's a site where all the men must have to pose in pictures with fish."

--Patrick

"...I just like the idea that it's a site where all the men must have to pose in pictures with fish."
THEY DO THAT ANYWAY.*

(*To my understanding. I've never used any of the dating apps, but if friends who do, and the internet, are to be believed, it is very much a thing, and mostly unwarranted.)

Re: the fish pics.

My guess would be it's to show they are "real men" and can provide, if they were putting any kind of logic behind it. Also to show they're outdoorsy maybe? That's likely more thought than any of them have put into adding it though.

As someone that's taken up fishing in the last year and hasn't dated in 12, I can tell you that the last picture I'd put up to try to interest someone would be of some dead fish...

Lol when has a date ever wanted to check a license unless they were going out with teenagers? Who falls for this?

Just told “her” I saw the wedding ring, I’m not that kind of person, and I was out. I know “she” saw it. Then I blocked “her.”

Done with that one!

Probably. I’ve taken to asking for a photo with a note early on. It usually ends it immediately.
That would be a red flag for most people. It looks controlling and they don't know you at all. You could be verifying them to choose victims

Y'all are too cynical. Not everyone online are predatory assholes. Take her at face value but be cautious. Like you don't already know this.
I could be if I wanted to...