Zappit's Kidney Thread Part 2: Da Relapse

Zappit

Staff member
Had my pre-transplant meeting today - a 7 hour marathon of meeting everyone on the team, getting tests done, (18 vials of blood taken today) and signing off on a lot of paperwork.

It was...pretty overwhelming. I did not know they leave the original kidneys in and just install the new one next to the bladder. The new one also lasts on average from 12-15 years, so the future isn’t too sure even if it’s a big success.

Pros: The group I’m working with has a higher success rate than the national average by quite a bit.

A transplant gets me back to my normal self more than dialysis ever would. I probably will have to do some dialysis even if we find a donor right away just to clean out the toxins from my blood.

I might get off some of my meds.

Cons: There’s a lot of new meds. The anti-rejection drugs, which I’ll never go off of, might give me diabetes.

In the case of a deceased donor kidney, there’s a very small chance of getting hepatitis. If it’s Hep C and they know it’s carrying Hep C, it’s still a viable kidney because there is a treatment that is 99.9% effective at curing Hep C.

Lots of tubes - there will be a lot of tubes in my urinary system during and after the surgery. I’d rather not discuss that part.

Good note: It also looks like between my insurance and some Medicare I will qualify for, there won’t be many out of pocket costs. This won’t wipe me out - not even close.

Had my pre-transplant meeting today - a 7 hour marathon of meeting everyone on the team, getting tests done, (18 vials of blood taken today) and signing off on a lot of paperwork.

It was...pretty overwhelming. I did not know they leave the original kidneys in and just install the new one next to the bladder. The new one also lasts on average from 12-15 years, so the future isn’t too sure even if it’s a big success.

Pros: The group I’m working with has a higher success rate than the national average by quite a bit.

A transplant gets me back to my normal self more than dialysis ever would. I probably will have to do some dialysis even if we find a donor right away just to clean out the toxins from my blood.

I might get off some of my meds.

Cons: There’s a lot of new meds. The anti-rejection drugs, which I’ll never go off of, might give me diabetes.

In the case of a deceased donor kidney, there’s a very small chance of getting hepatitis. If it’s Hep C and they know it’s carrying Hep C, it’s still a viable kidney because there is a treatment that is 99.9% effective at curing Hep C.

Lots of tubes - there will be a lot of tubes in my urinary system during and after the surgery. I’d rather not discuss that part.

Good note: It also looks like between my insurance and some Medicare I will qualify for, there won’t be many out of pocket costs. This won’t wipe me out - not even close.
They leave the old kidney in? Does that mean you've got your previous old kidney in you right now? How many can they fit in there?

They leave the old kidney in? Does that mean you've got your previous old kidney in you right now? How many can they fit in there?
They usually add a third. I suppose if/when that fails they could add another to the other side, so...four?

--Patrick

Zappit

Staff member
Oh, yeah. They install the new one next to your bladder and hook it up down there. The old ones putter along for a little longer as the new one starts up, and eventually just stop working. You walk out with more kidneys than you started with.

Freakiest thing is that they put in a stent to keep the new hookup tube wide open. Once that’s ready to come out, they numb you up and go up through the bladder to pull it out. Only one access point to do that when they don’t open you up...

Oh, yeah. They install the new one next to your bladder and hook it up down there. The old ones putter along for a little longer as the new one starts up, and eventually just stop working. You walk out with more kidneys than you started with.

Freakiest thing is that they put in a stent to keep the new hookup tube wide open. Once that’s ready to come out, they numb you up and go up through the bladder to pull it out. Only one access point to do that when they don’t open you up...
This would be a real good time to develop a sounding fetish.

Zappit

Staff member
Things just keep getting better. My family has been going through the tests for compatibility, and it turns out my mom has breast cancer. Fuck.

On the bright side, it looks like it’s localized and can be removed surgically. She might not need to get chemo or radiation therapy. It appears to be one cancerous tumor in one spot. We’ll be hearing from him today about scheduling an appointment with a surgeon.

Things just keep getting better. My family has been going through the tests for compatibility, and it turns out my mom has breast cancer. Fuck.

On the bright side, it looks like it’s localized and can be removed surgically. She might not need to get chemo or radiation therapy. It appears to be one cancerous tumor in one spot. We’ll be hearing from him today about scheduling an appointment with a surgeon.
I know it sucks, but it sounds like through happy accident you caught it really early