Zappit's Kidney Thread Part 3: New Kidney, Who Piss?

Zappit

Staff member
Got the follow-up biopsy and blood results yesterday. The biopsy looked better than the previous ones, and the blood labs are all looking normal. My doctor is pleased where we’re at, and we’ll just monitor those donor-specific antibodies going forward.

I’m officially closing Part 2: Da Relapse. IT. IS. OVER.

Now on to Part 3 - New Kidney, Who Piss? - and I could not be happier!

Zappit

Staff member
Guess I’m going back to work sooner than expected because the fuckers want to fire me for my leave going so long. They sent me a letter of intent to terminate with ten days to respond.

Union’s already getting a lawyer from the state union level. Seems like if I get a doctor’s letter clearing me to return, this can just get resolved. Gonna see. Probably will be fine.

Fuck ‘em if they do it. I’ll find work elsewhere. I didn’t go through all that to stress over this.

Zappit

Staff member
One month back to work and feeling STRONG. Test results are holding steady at normal.

Today’s my birthday. I very nearly almost didn’t get this one. It’s amazing to look back on the past year and how wild it was. I’m getting more energy. I want to be more active, especially here. And I want to have more than just FaceTime dates with my new girlfriend.

Here’s to a better year!

Zappit

Staff member
I like posting good news. We’ve passed seven months and all tests are still good. My doctor said the new kidney is “excellent” and everything is looking good. The rejection antibodies are going down on their own and will probably just fade away for good.

I’m getting muscle mass and stamina back. My torso muscles healed up nicely and I’m able to lift more. Can’t overdo it, but this year I’ll get to swim in my own pool because I don’t have an open wound in my gut. That will help even more.

Health is NICE.

Zappit

Staff member
Well, I resigned from my job yesterday and I’ve taken a new one in a new district.

VERY long story short - I was targeted by admin once my health declined, with my supervisor even breaking FMLA law by repeatedly contacting me and even asking me to do work. She even tried to terminate me while I was still on medical leave. I came back to a hostile work environment. She tried again to terminate me at the end of the school year by falsely accusing me of lying about a very minor error. I went through the process with my union and a union lawyer, and we have counters to all their claims and evidence they repeatedly lied. Basically, admin was not even attempting to deal in good faith. So, instead of going to a final meeting today where said principal would have likely immediately formally terminated me, I resigned and stated in my letter that it was due to a hostile work environment. I had gone to a couple interviews during all this. Two interviews and two job offers. Fuck yeah.

It will be less pay at the new job and it’s not a classroom teacher, but I never really got a real recovery period having been forced back to work before I was ready and thrown into the fire. A little less responsibility isn't a bad thing because it won’t be as hard on my body. Plus, this district LOVES to promote from within. I’ll get back into a classroom again. Even better, my new building is AIR-CONDITIONED.

And yes, I know I have one HELL of a lawsuit - FMLA violations and retaliation, medical discrimination, hostile work environment, and possibly even defamation. Fuck, this district didn’t even fire a teacher who SHOVED a kid. I was getting fired for a data error on an irrelevant form that no one will ever look at again. My union head told me to keep in touch because even though I‘m no longer part of that union now, they’d back me to help prevent this shit from EVER happening to anyone else.

Don't know how it's set up where you are; around here you'd have been better off letting them wrongfully terminate you...Even if you start a new job the very next day, they'd still be paying you months of wages lost for it, in addition to whatever they'd be paying for the medical crap.

Good luck in the new job, though!

Congrats and all tbe best in the new job, Zappit! That's wonderful!

From having seen my wife fight her former employers over harrassment and a hostile workplace (for the record, she won the whole thing), that's the kind of shit that DRAINS you. Be prepared for a long, hard, dirty fight. Although, unlike her, you seem to have a supportive union, so that'll help a LOT.

Zappit

Staff member
Don't know how it's set up where you are; around here you'd have been better off letting them wrongfully terminate you...Even if you start a new job the very next day, they'd still be paying you months of wages lost for it, in addition to whatever they'd be paying for the medical crap.

Good luck in the new job, though!

In this case, this accusation, which is provably bullshit, the district would be required to report the reason for termination. By resigning, I likely don’t get a black mark attached to my license. It’s still part of a pattern of workplace hostility, though. Given that I put a hostile work environment as the reason I resigned, they wouldn’t dare file a report with the state Ed dept. It would look all the more malicious and give me a stronger case. They were stringing my union head and I along to get to the termination hearing because, I suspect, they thought they would have a stronger claim if I sue.

Zappit

Staff member
I’ll just add this. Our side requested a transfer as a way to end this last week. There was an open position at another building in the district I could transfer into. They told my union head they’d consider it after consulting with their lawyer. Then silence. He followed up and nothing. Then he went into the superintendent’s office to get an answer. Then, they suddenly didn’t have any openings, but were open to letting me stay at my current position under the principal who was making things so awful for me. The one who made the accusation, served me a termination notice the day after, then took a month to deliver the results of her investigation. (where almost half of which contradicted her actual accusation) They were NEVER dealing in good faith, and were trying to bait us into attending the final hearing Where they could then formally terminate me. That’s why I resigned, and I put it in my resignation letter that it was due to a hostile work environment.

Zappit

Staff member
Started a new job in a new district last week. Not a teacher position, but this district loves to promote from within. (The admin who interviewed me even called a few days before I started me to verify my licensure because he thought he had a teacher position for me. It was a license I don’t have.)

It’s a lighter schedule, and less stressful. Pay‘s a lot less, but with a good chance for advancement, I think it was worth taking a chance. My old job forced me back to work early and it cut my recovery short, so the lighter load is letting me recuperate a bit better. It’s also a MUCH better environment and culture there.

Zappit

Staff member
Bleh...I’ve had protein in my urine since the transplant. My doctor thought it might have been my original, damaged kidneys still working a bit. But it went up, so they’re switching one blood pressure med for another. This one actually lowers that protein, which is great.

There’s a lot of things that can affect protein in the urine - high blood pressure, (my BP has gone up since starting the new job) strenuous exercise, (I’m logging an average of 4-5 miles minimum walking each day since the new job started) dehydration, (I might not be drinking enough to keep up with the exercise) or kidney disease. No one’s using that word right now. They’ve put a lot of people on this new BP drug (losartin) and it does wonders for the protein. In all likelihood, I just need to have better BP control and drink more water. It’s one of those things to tweak along the way to keep things balanced.

Everything else in my tests was fine, which is why no one is particularly concerned right now. (good thing)

Zappit

Staff member
Remember that last post where I said nobody was using the words ”kidney disease?”

Welp.

The urine protein is still high, but has been trending down. That’s good. But my doctor now cannot rule out my IGA Nephropathy recurred after the transplant. He can only say he suspects it is back.

Now, for the good news in this:

There is no damage to my kidney. None.

There are currently two drugs specifically approved to treat IGA Nephropathy that were not available before my kidneys failed. I‘m currently on one and in the three days I was taking it, my urine protein dropped 12 points. I’ve got the other coming tomorrow to start that. They’re both new, orphan drugs, so it was hell with the insurance company, but both have apparently proven to be very effective at reducing urine protein down to zero. (I’m on pay assist for one and got a copay card for the other so neither is costing me a dime.)

No urine protein means there’s nothing damaging the kidney. It‘s currently much lower than it was and it was dropping before I started the new treatment, so the odds of getting this under control and staying safe for the long-term are very good. When I was originally diagnosed years ago, I was on the edge of stage four and they kept me going for ten years without the tools available now. This is stage 0.5 at most. I’ll long outlast the disease this time.

Zappit

Staff member
I’m not worried. The numbers are going in the right direction, and the lower the urine protein, the less damage to the kidney. I have no damage so far and things are on track. I have less stress in my life now that I’m out of that toxic old job of mine, and after everything I went through, I have a very different perspective on life. Oh, and if you read back a bit and review the hell I went through regarding exiting that job? Little update there - the union head who fought so hard for me just took a new job himself. He’s one of my new bosses. :D

Zappit

Staff member
You can do this, Zappit. Kick that disease right in its stupid face.
Guess what, @Simfers - I FUCKING DID!

Latest checkup today and my doctor declared I’m in COMPLETE REMISSION. The new treatments have proven very effective and my numbers are in the normal range and holding steady. I’m lucky. IGA Nephropathy recurring post-transplant is so rare, there’s no recommended treatment. The drugs I’ve been taking are intended for pre-transplant patients, and experts argued they would also work post-transplant. They are, in fact, working post-transplant.

Guess what, @Simfers - I FUCKING DID!

Latest checkup today and my doctor declared I’m in COMPLETE REMISSION. The new treatments have proven very effective and my numbers are in the normal range and holding steady. I’m lucky. IGA Nephropathy recurring post-transplant is so rare, there’s no recommended treatment. The drugs I’ve been taking are intended for pre-transplant patients, and experts argued they would also work post-transplant. They are, in fact, working post-transplant.
Fuck yeah, my dude! Always knew you could do it! Disease never stood a chance!

GasBandit

Staff member
The drugs I’ve been taking are intended for pre-transplant patients, and experts argued they would also work post-transplant. They are, in fact, working post-transplant.
Does that mean your case is going to be cited in a paper?

Zappit

Staff member
I don’t know, really. My nephrologist is semi-retired so I don‘t think he’s writing many papers, but the manufacturer of one of the drugs is collecting data on patient progress. I’m okay with that. They’re giving it to me for free on their patient pay assist program, and this is a ”costs as much as a house” orphan drug.