Teamviewer hacked, all clients possibly exposed

The nice thing about Teamviewer was that it did matchmaking for you, so you didn't have to dyndns your home shit and whatnot.
I have the home set up for remote, but I don't dynDNS anything. I just rely on the fact that we have 6 people who use our Internet connection over 14 devices so our IP address never has a chance to change.

--Patrick

Friend of mine just had his bitcoin wallet stolen and he suspects TeamViewer was how.

I will keep using TigerVNC over SSH, I think.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have the home set up for remote, but I don't dynDNS anything. I just rely on the fact that we have 6 people who use our Internet connection over 14 devices so our IP address never has a chance to change.

--Patrick
My cable company often disconnects me in the middle of the night for no apparent reason, and I come back up later with a different IP address.

fade

Staff member
I'm curious. What do you guys use this for? I see what it does, I just personally cannot see a need for it.

Nice. I've uninstalled it on the computers that are running, and I'll have to go back through all the computers not on right now and uninstall it. Guess it's time to go back to VNC.[DOUBLEPOST=1464899482,1464899269][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm curious. What do you guys use this for? I see what it does, I just personally cannot see a need for it.
Connecting to work from home or my ipad to do server stuff. Connecting to home from remote locations for various things.

Dropbox has alleviated a lot of that, for simple file access, and I use cloud services for other types of data storage that sync across devices (simplenote, for instance).

But once in awhile there's something I need to do, and I don't want to drive to the only computer that I've set up to do it, and I don't want to set up other computers to do it for various reasons (security, difficulty in access, etc).

GasBandit

Staff member
I use it to control my home computers from work and my work computers from home and both from my laptop, and transfer files between all concerned with drag-and-drop functionality, with no need to fiddle with IP addresses or port forwarding.

GasBandit

Staff member
Also telling is that Teamviewer is claiming they were NOT hacked, that these users were just sloppy with their passwords, but the people experiencing the intrusions say they have 2-factor authentication turned on. This means even if the attacker knows their password they shouldn't be able to get in.

Also telling is that Teamviewer is claiming they were NOT hacked, that these users were just sloppy with their passwords, but the people experiencing the intrusions say they have 2-factor authentication turned on. This means even if the attacker knows their password they shouldn't be able to get in.
This is what worries me - that they have a way to bypass the authentication system altogether. Two factor authentication should not be bypassable. :minionshout:

GasBandit

Staff member
This is what worries me - that they have a way to bypass the authentication system altogether. Two factor authentication should not be bypassable. :minionshout:
Seriously. With 2 factor authentication, you can practically make your password PASSWORD.

As long as the service using 2 factor authentication actually properly requires the second factor.

OOPSIE TEAMVIEWER.

I use this for pretty much all the tech support I have to do for my job. Probably saves me a half hour for each call because talking customers through things is a nightmare.

GasBandit

Staff member
I use this for pretty much all the tech support I have to do for my job. Probably saves me a half hour for each call because talking customers through things is a nightmare.
Well, fortunately it doesn't really affect that, it's only really dangerous to people who have the full client loaded and always on AND associated with their account AND with easy access enabled AND who don't lock their workstation (as in in windows) when it isn't in use. Which, granted, is a lot of people. But as long as you're only logging into teamviewer when you're doing support, it's very unlikely to bite you in the ass.

Well, fortunately it doesn't really affect that, it's only really dangerous to people who have the full client loaded and always on AND associated with their account AND with easy access enabled AND who don't lock their workstation (as in in windows) when it isn't in use. Which, granted, is a lot of people. But as long as you're only logging into teamviewer when you're doing support, it's very unlikely to bite you in the ass.
No, I'm logged on all the time, and can be remoted into by our IT department (as well as hackers I suppose). I tend to be pretty anal about locking my machine and shutting it off at night, so I should be fine. I did tell my boss about this and he said he'd have our IT people take care of it, but I really hope this doesn't mean I have to use joinme regularly. That software is like the 10th circle of hell.

No, I'm logged on all the time, and can be remoted into by our IT department (as well as hackers I suppose). I tend to be pretty anal about locking my machine and shutting it off at night, so I should be fine. I did tell my boss about this and he said he'd have our IT people take care of it, but I really hope this doesn't mean I have to use joinme regularly. That software is like the 10th circle of hell.
Might be worth the effort to research pricing/features of all the non-shitty alternatives to TeamViewer (Bomgar, ScreenConnect, etc.) and throw them at boss-person.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm still using teamviewer, and I've not had any odd logins to my account. I'm starting to think it was insecure passwords after all.

Should have figured this would pop up sooner or later. Around one month ago I noticed when I woke up that the little "Thank you for using Team Viewer!" pop-up for the free version was on my desktop. I didn't think anything of it, since I used it all the time I figured I just forgot to close it or something.

The next day, I noticed an e-mail thanking me for a purchase on Amazon. I rushed to my amazon account and it said I had purchased a $100 facebook gift card using my amazon gift money the day before. I was livid, trying to figure out how it happened, when I remembered the pop up on Team Viewer. Sure enough, I looked at my web history and someone had logged into my amazon (I just had the password saved, since it was my personal private computer and all) and purchased the gift card code, e-mailing it to themselves, and then left. Thankfully they didn't touch anything else, it was pretty much just log on, rob my amazon credit, and bolt.

I went to work changing all my passwords, and making a "master" password on my firefox, then added two-step authentication to my Team Viewer account and turned off the randomized password. I also scrubbed my computer manually to make sure I didn't have any keyloggers or anything. My computer was clean.

I thought I was good at that point so I left it on like normal, till I noticed the pop-up again the next morning implying someone had logged in again... Thankfully all my precautions from the first breach meant they just pretty much looked around, tried to log into some things, then left when they noticed everything was protected, but I realized at that point if they were just BYPASSING the two-step authentication like it was nothing, then Team Viewer was royally fucked. I deleted it from my system and have not looked back. I figured sooner or later it would come out that they got hacked to shit and back.

Needless to say, I now lock my computer every night.

GasBandit

Staff member
Needless to say, I now lock my computer every night.
That's definitely one of the precautions I take, now. I lock every computer before I leave it, so that even if they get in via teamviewer somehow, they still have to know my windows login.