[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

Mar 15, 2012
www.yoshimickster.deviantart.com
Patlabor 2

Apparently the director of this film and the TV staff had creative differences....I can see why because Jesus God damn Christ, while the first film at least had the main cast mostly do stuff, they BARELY do anything until the final act, with the bulk of the film being about long talks about philosophy while NO animation happens! This film was just...SO up its own ass, the constant bird imagery was stupid, and honestly the villain in it felt like a mix of the bad guy from the last film, and the bad guy from the 5th and 6th OVA, only at least in the god damn OVA it had actual good action sequences and didn't bog the audience down with philosphical CLAPTRAP! UGH-bad film, me and my friend are going to attempt to watch the midquel, but if we're not into it by 10 minutes in we're switching o VOTOMS.

Mar 15, 2012
www.yoshimickster.deviantart.com
Patlabor WXiii

HM...WELL this movie just SCREAMS-"We thought we'd have more movies after this one!" because hot diggety Daniel is it episodic! Much like the last film, the main cast ALSO take the back seat, but in this story their straight up NOT EVEN the main characters...but...it somehow WORKS? The animation is stellar, the characters are all 4 dimensional, its beautifully tragic, and while I'd prefer a Patlabor movie to focus on...well, the PATLABOR people more, I don't mind this as an original story.

GasBandit

Staff member
I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in The Real World, Too

"Can we have more Mushoku Tensei?" WE HAVE MUSHOKU TENSEI AT HOME. "Aww mom, but you mixed "Kiss Him Not Me" in with that, it tastes weird now."

It was in danger of being good, actually. It really could have been a treatise on abuse, mental health, and self-image.

But it got turned into "all it took for every single person in the world to instantly love you was to magically become conventionally attractive." It feels like Incel-bait.
The show is eminently skippable. Every opportunity to do something neat, they totally missed. They got to episode 12 and forgot to address any of the hanging threads, so "lol wait here's episode 13" and crammed in an undercooked resolution to everything that would make a deus ex machina look like a planned multiseason plot arc. They literally had to wrap up the resolution of the confrontation with the villain they introduced WAY too late in the season during the closing credits montage with no dialog.

Pretty waifus though.

• Informative
Reactions: Yoshimickster
Nov 27, 2008
Turlock, CA
f5d71fc1d8e611ca1047fb206271867a.jpg

Only two episodes on Crunchyroll so far, but I'm already kinda digging the vibe.
An immortal detective lady who had her body stolen, along with her maid/bodyguard, join forces with a man who was made a half-demon by possibly the same person who took her body.
While tracking down this suspect in the late 19th century Europe, they also solve monster-related crimes in a world where both they and humans exist (sometimes in harmony, sometimes not).

• Informative
Reactions: chris

GasBandit

Staff member
Masamune-kun's Revenge

Genre: Romance, Comedy, High school
Fanservice: Little
Premise: A fat kid gets treated cruelly by the girl he likes, and moves away to spend the next 8 years working unceasingly to resculpt his body into teenage perfection, then he changes his name and moves back home - bent on getting revenge on her by making her fall in love with him, then spurning her. Hilarity ensues.

I was rather dubious of the concept, but I'm glad I gave it a chance, this was actually pretty enjoyable. The main beats of the A-plot are telegraphed pretty obviously, but there are nice little surprise twists and character development along the way, and good supporting characters. It's a pity there's no word on season 2 yet, as the plot is still ongoing by the end of the first season. But if and when there is a season 2, I do look forward to seeing it.
It's been too long, I don't recognize any of the characters other than the main 3, I've forgotten all the important story beats, and I can't be bothered to go re-watch season one.

Putting out a second season after 5 years... they may as well not have bothered, as far as I'm concerned.