Export thread

1 in 4 people fail military entrance exam.

Chibibar

Jiarn

No Child Left Behind, such a wonderful program.

Chibibar

No Child Left Behind, such a wonderful program.
don't even get me started on that one. ;)

For Dallas, our chancellor told us we are getting more than 10% budget cut across the board. Dallas County K-12 are also facing cuts :(
Our education system needs an overhaul but also culturally, I don't think we can do it :(

I have a cousin in Belgium and she REQUIRE to learn at least 4 language (she knows 6) while I only know 1 and require 1 (English)
also due to our culture (U.S.) Teachers do not have the same power and respect in Asia counterpart (not sure on Europe) China and Japan specifically.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

There are too many problems that are outside of a schools control. Too many people admire anti-intellectuals. You hear parents downplaying the importance of vital educational fields. Children from all walks of life just don't have the motivation to learn (well you can motivate some kids.) Well, maybe not the motivation, but they just don't see a future for themselves.

Then you take a large percentage of the kids that want to go to the military are the kids that did not do well in school, and thought that the military would be an easy career (it's not.)

Then what do you do with little Johnny when passes on all the opportunities the community laid out for him to learn and succeed?

Chibibar

There are too many problems that are outside of a schools control. Too many people admire anti-intellectuals. You hear parents downplaying the importance of vital educational fields. Children from all walks of life just don't have the motivation to learn (well you can motivate some kids.) Well, maybe not the motivation, but they just don't see a future for themselves.

Then you take a large percentage of the kids that want to go to the military are the kids that did not do well in school, and thought that the military would be an easy career (it's not.)

Then what do you do with little Johnny when passes on all the opportunities the community laid out for him to learn and succeed?
Send Johnny to a mining camp and strip him of his manhood and citizenship.

Actually, I don't know, but if someone told me if I have to pass school or becomes a slave, that would be a good motivation.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I'm hesitant to say anything about these things... These military tests remind me of WWI-era IQ tests done on American soldiers, which were heavily culture-specific. For instance, one of the questions was asking them to recognize a tennis court in the picture; something that many soldiers of rural or poor background had never seen. Those tests were then shown as evidence of country folk and coloureds being of lower intelligence than the preferred norm, the civilized urban white man.

Which then lead to some pretty nasty things, like eugenics competitions on county fairs and forced castration of "undesirable elements"... *shiver*

Tress

Tress

I could go on and on listing all the reasons for this. I don't even know where to begin. It's just a big problem that will only get worse.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Why finish school, join the military, or get a job when you can just go on welfare?

More high school graduates are going to college than in earlier decades, and about one-fourth are obese, making them medically ineligible.

In 1980, by comparison, just 5 percent of youth were obese.
Delightful.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Why finish school, join the military, or get a job when you can just go on welfare?
Now that's a sad fact...

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Now that's a sad fact...[/QUOTE]

Yet so very true. See it daily. Am tired of the broken system...

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I admire that you are able to do what you do everyday as I don't think I would have the patience for it.

Docseverin

Docseverin

Actually the military only accepts so many GEDs per service per year, that number is currently 0 due to the influx of recruits. So that don't finish school bit is bull shit, you can't even get into the Army if you didn't finish High School.

You would think that the no child left behind generation would do better on the ASVAB than previous generations due to the stressing of material on standardized tests, which is in fact what the military entrance tests are.

Chibibar

Actually the military only accepts so many GEDs per service per year, that number is currently 0 due to the influx of recruits. So that don't finish school bit is bull shit, you can't even get into the Army if you didn't finish High School.

You would think that the no child left behind generation would do better on the ASVAB than previous generations due to the stressing of material on standardized tests, which is in fact what the military entrance tests are.
I think the article is touching base that there are so many factors that will cause the recruitment to go down.

first: 75% of the people apply (so lets assume 100 people total between age 17 to 24) 75 people do not qualify due to
have a criminal background, physically unfit, or didn't graduate high school.

Now out of that 25 DO qualify BUT only around 18 pass the test (6.25 round down times 3) ) people actually PASS the test (1 in 4) so 7 people fail.

This means that out of 100 people trying to enlist, only about 18 qualify (according to the numbers the article suggest) but with low test scores (barely pass again mention in the article)

This is my personal guess: so maybe 1 out of 100 may get to pick the job they want? so the positions are not being filled due to low results.

Docseverin

Docseverin

But the Army is recruiting people over the age of 18 to 24 due to the recession. They actually put a retention cap in place for the first time in many years. Which means if you are not one of the first 44k to re-enlist you are out on your ass when your service is up. So while the 18-24 age category may become a dry hole, the best demographic of people to join are late in life recruits, they tend to be more mature and have a higher success rating due to their maturity.

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

Every one gets to pick their job based on a list of jobs you qualify for and for those which are available. All you have to do is be stubborn like I was, I was offered 110 jobs none of Them medic, I stayed at meps for 14 hours till they gave me what I wanted.

Chibibar

But the Army is recruiting people over the age of 18 to 24 due to the recession. They actually put a retention cap in place for the first time in many years. Which means if you are not one of the first 44k to re-enlist you are out on your ass when your service is up. So while the 18-24 age category may become a dry hole, the best demographic of people to join are late in life recruits, they tend to be more mature and have a higher success rating due to their maturity.

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

Every one gets to pick their job based on a list of jobs you qualify for and for those which are available. All you have to do is be stubborn like I was, I was offered 110 jobs none of Them medic, I stayed at meps for 14 hours till they gave me what I wanted.
Yea. But you are one of the smart one. What about those kids who barely pass the test? have no ambitions? or barely pass high school? they don't know what they want or know the system on how to get what they want.... so they are stuck with jobs they might not like.

someone once told me that recruiters' main job is to fill positions they are assign (as best as they can) I cannot remember who mention that on the forum.

edit: but if we look beyond the military. The test that the military gave (according to the web) is similar to the tests taken in high school (competency test) and 1 in 4 fail? that is pretty sad. Which means that if a 100 people taken the test, 25 of them will fail because they can't grasp basic math and English skills.

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

How easy is it to get welfare? Lately rules to be able to apply for welfare here have been upped to quite a fair level. It's pretty much impossible to leave school and get welfare at this point.