Export thread

$20 for a movie ticket?

Matt²

Do you want to pay $20 or more for movie tickets? You might want to speak up and say "HELL NO" to Hollywood.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...01339372876.html?mod=WSJ_hps_SECONDTopStories

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Theater near us actually lowered the matinee price from $8 to $6.

If it goes to $20, I'm done. Don't care what the movie; everything becomes a rental for me.

I like the article's logic. "Movies are finally making more money again, so let's raise prices!" Yeah...

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

20 dollars? no sir i won't do it. I can only foresee this causing more piracy.

:facepalm:

Hylian

Hylian

Man I had a hard enough time convincing myself to pay $16.50 to go see Iron Man 2 in IMAX. If they raise it any higher I definitely will not be going to the theater anymore.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

20 dollars? no sir i won't do it. I can only foresee this causing more piracy.

:facepalm:
Oh yeah. I won't pirate, but it's gonna make the piracy skyrocket.

Dusty668

If they would make the movies worth even 4$ I might pay it, but as it is... No ticket, no rent, no torrent.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

damn, I pay $5 for first run movies. but no 3D at this theater.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Fuck 3D. It adds no value to me.

Chibibar

blah. I pay 3.25$ matinee in our area. I will NOT pay 20$ a ticket.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Fuck 3D. It adds no value to me.

^

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Haha.

I think 3D effects with the glasses are a waste of money. I can see the effects; I don't feel immersion. If anything, they distract me. I already get immersed in the movie; I don't need the special effects sticking out of the screen because I wore the damn glasses during the movie.

Matt²

Haha.

I think 3D effects with the glasses are a waste of money. I can see the effects; I don't feel immersion. If anything, they distract me. I already get immersed in the movie; I don't need the special effects sticking out of the screen because I wore the damn glasses during the movie.
I for one CAN'T see the immersion effects due to my left eye, so it's useless to me. And I don't pay $10 for tickets unless I absolutely HAVE to.. I RARELY ever see a nonmatinee movie, and usually I see them at the second run theaters for $3.

David

David

My second-run theater has shit for $1.25, but I usually go to the $7 theater cause the cheap one is so crappy. Tiny cramped seats and usually some annoying splotch or wrinkle over the screen canvas for the whole movie. I'd rather pay for the experience that's actually enjoyable.

Definitely not willing to pay 20 bucks for it though. You could own the DVD for that much.

Dusty668

Haha.

^Hell yah, name one story element 3D has ever added to a movie. There isn't one.

Krisken

Krisken

Wow, $20? Yeah, not a chance. I think I'd rather spend that on... well, anything, really. Theater experience hasn't been all that thrilling since I saw the re-release of the unmodified Star Wars trilogy.

Chazwozel

I'll still go, cause I'm rich biatch.

But seriously, I rarely go to the movies as is, so it's not really breaking the bank for me to go see one movie this summer for 20 bucks.

Covar

Covar

Do you want to pay $20 or more for movie tickets? You might want to speak up and say "HELL NO" to Hollywood.
I think I just won't go. Probably won't be the only one too.

Soliloquy

"Movies are doing great in theaters! how can we do better?"

"How about we make their price out of reach for the average young moviegoer?"

"Brilliant!"

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I could BUY the damn DVD for 20 dollars. Why would I want to pay 20 to see it once?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I'd pay it, the extra cost isn't that much really.

Mind you the cost of the movie is really the cheapest part of the entire adventure for me.

Babysitter $10/hr for 5 hours + tip
1 hour of travel time
Dinner with wife > $120
Snacks at movie $20

so the extra $16 for two tickets isn't that much

Philosopher B.

I winced a little paying $10.50 to see Iron Man 2. Anything more would kill me, and especially my younger bro, who sees tons more movies a year than I do.

Dusty668

I'll still go, cause I'm rich biatch.
A fool and his money are soon a party.

Jay

Jay

The prices won't change anything in my life but anything beyond that10$ I usually pay will get me to reconsider if I truly WANT to watch the movie or not. I tend to watch a lot of movies as a rental/download but in the theatre due to my rough upbringing (not the case anymore) I had a cheapo system built in. I'm pretty selective with my movies so I don't go to the theatre to watch about anything… and for 3D… the hype is annoying the FUCK out of me now. I enjoy watching 3D in movies but I’m not gonna watch 3D just about anything… and don’t get me started with 3D TVs. I’m not watching shit with glasses in my house or anywhere else.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

not me.
For me, it's already $>100 to go see a movie when you're buying tickets and overpriced popcorn and drinks for a family of 5.

Fuck $20 tickets. The theater I go to has $8.50 tickets, and I think that is outrageous. Iron Man 2 is expected to make several hundred million dollars profit. I'm playing plenty for tickets as it is.

And I ain't poor. But I've BEEN poor. I know the value of my money. Some of you may recall my rant a couple months ago about getting all pissy and spending time on the phone because some waitstaff tacked an extra few dollars tip onto a gift card purchase i made at a restaurant.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Last night I saw Iron Man 2 for $11.50 and it took a lot to convince myself to spend that.

Normally I go to the other theatre. On a Tuesday its $4.00 no tax. $5.00 if its in 3D. I'm not gonna be spending $20 on a movie ticket any time soon, that's for sure. $10 more and I can OWN it on DVD.

Chibibar

not me.
For me, it's already $>100 to go see a movie when you're buying tickets and overpriced popcorn and drinks for a family of 5.

Fuck $20 tickets. The theater I go to has $8.50 tickets, and I think that is outrageous. Iron Man 2 is expected to make several hundred million dollars profit. I'm playing plenty for tickets as it is.

And I ain't poor. But I've BEEN poor. I know the value of my money. Some of you may recall my rant a couple months ago about getting all pissy and spending time on the phone because some waitstaff tacked an extra few dollars tip onto a gift card purchase i made at a restaurant.
I have been poor too. It is not being a cheapo that you get your money back. It is bad practice on the waitstaff. You know the value of your money and spend it as you should.

plus for 20$, I might as well WAIT for the DVD/Blu-Ray release cause that is what going to cost me.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I've already shaved down the movies I choose to see in theatres a great deal. As much as I love the experience, if a normal ticket ever cost that much, I'd never go to the movies again.

Jay

Jay

I know the value of my money.
Well said.

To me, watching a movie is nice but beyond a certain price... for 20$... why not just buy the fucken DVD? At least you can sell it.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

When I was in South Korea the movie ticket prices were about $2.75 for a matinee showing and $4.50 for a regular ticket. A soda and popcorn would cost about $2. I went to the movies 40 times during my year in Seoul (yeah, I counted). Paying $10.50 for a regular movie ticket makes me miss my time overseas.

Chazwozel

I could BUY the damn DVD for 20 dollars. Why would I want to pay 20 to see it once?

Well that's the whole point right? And DvDs get pumped out like 3 months after the movie comes out in theaters. With HDTV/Blueray/ 1080i and p becoming the norm, why wouldn't you spend 20 bucks on the DVD instead and watch it over and over again?

Actually, if movie ticket prices were still like 4.50-5.50 a pop like they were when I was a teenager, I'd probably go a lot more often than I do now.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I used to go to the movies for <$5 when I was in HS. I'd go fairly frequently. Now, I only go if the buzz is huge (Hurt Locker) and/or I think the experience of a big screen (Avatar) will be worth it. I don't even know if I am going to catch Ironman 2. We'll see.

$20 tickets would drive me completely out of the theater or go to the drive-in and catch 3 movies for less than $10 and bring my own food.

Hylian

Hylian

Well that's the whole point right? And DvDs get pumped out like 3 months after the movie comes out in theaters. With HDTV/Blueray/ 1080i and p becoming the norm, why wouldn't you spend 20 bucks on the DVD instead and watch it over and over again?

Actually, if movie ticket prices were still like 4.50-5.50 a pop like they were when I was a teenager, I'd probably go a lot more often than I do now.[/QUOTE]

So very much this ↑

well minus the fact that they were a few dollars more for me when I was a teenager but never the less

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Pay $20 for a movie? Sure, if the throw in all the popcorn and drinks I want as part of the deal. Otherwise a single night our with my wife ends up equaling $40 anyways if she has the munchies.

Ask me to pay $6 for a medium soda AND a $20 ticket? No thanks, I will stick to the Pirate Bay.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Ticket prices tended to be double the minimum wage. Inflation is setting in, and you fookers are getting old now.

Chibibar

Ticket prices tended to be double the minimum wage. Inflation is setting in, and you fookers are getting old now.
old or not, I don't need the "movie experience" THAT badly. If it does cost 20$ a person, I will wait for the DVD/Blu-Ray and buy that instead and watch with my friends at my place for 20$.

My wife do get the munchies when she watch a movie (home or theater) so that is gonna cost me extra. The theater already charge like 4-6$ for a MED drink which is smaller than a Big Gulp.... yea.. and 3$ for a hot dog where I can pay a dollar for it at 7-11?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

old or not, I don't need the "movie experience" THAT badly. If it does cost 20$ a person, I will wait for the DVD/Blu-Ray and buy that instead and watch with my friends at my place for 20$.

My wife do get the munchies when she watch a movie (home or theater) so that is gonna cost me extra. The theater already charge like 4-6$ for a MED drink which is smaller than a Big Gulp.... yea.. and 3$ for a hot dog where I can pay a dollar for it at 7-11?[/QUOTE]

Hell, for $2.00, you can get pack of kroger brand buns and a pack of Oscar Mayer "bun-length" dogs, and have 8 of them.