Export thread

5yrs, The End of An Era.... (No, Not A GF Thread)

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

:eek:

Finally, I can play regular games again. :D

Hylian

Hylian

I only lasted a month on WoW. For some reason I just couldn't get into it. But congrats :thumbsup:

Dave

Dave

Wow. I'm surprised! Why the change of heart?

Gusto

Gusto

Nice day to cancel. :)

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

It's honestly a decision to change my gaming life focus. WoW and MMOs in general have just stolen TOO much of my other gaming time.

I have an Xbox360, a Wii, a PS2, a PSP and a DS that are FULL of great RPGs and action games I haven't even touched. A shelf full of them as a matter of fact that have been given to me as presents over the years and I never gave them more than an hour or so of time because I'd always think I was wasting time I could be on WoW.

This goes for alot of Novels I want to read, TV series I'd like to watch, and more time to hone my cooking skills as my trip to Culinary School is just a year away.

Shakey

Shakey

The only sure way to be rid of it is to sell it. I'll give you 50 bucks for it.:slywink:

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

My brother is actually going to take over the account with his credit card (he's currently paying for 3, His two-box and his GFs) so that he can have more classes to screw around with. Between us the only class that we didn't have at lvl 80 and well geared was a druid.

First game I went out and bought?

I want to buy Dragon's Age but I don't have the $80 it would take to get the CE game and CE guide. I got Jeanne D'Arc for $10 :D

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

5 years already huh? I think I stopped playing 2 years ago or so myself. You couldn't have picked a better time, lot's of awesome games coming out soon or are hitting the shelves right about now to stop you from lapsing back into MMO grindness.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I think this is a healthy life choice

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

5 years already huh? I think I stopped playing 2 years ago or so myself. You couldn't have picked a better time, lot's of awesome games coming out soon or are hitting the shelves right about now to stop you from lapsing back into MMO grindness.
Let me put it this way:

I have Xenosaga sitting on my shelf, with 3hrs played. That's how far back I am.

Last Persona game I played was on the PS1. I've only played KH 1, 2 and Chains. FFXII is still waiting for me. I could go on and on.

I'm also going to go pick up the first Warhammer 40k omnibus and the first Wheel of Time novel.

I think this is a healthy life choice
On the whole, I think my total gaming per day is going to drop about 2hrs tops. Then again it was around 6-8 before....

Chibibar

Wow Shego! woo!

I gotta finish my Xenosage (finish 1, started on 2 but only 1 hour in :( )

LittleSin

LittleSin

Husband and I finished all three XenoSagas a few months ago.

It felt kinda rushed....

Gusto

Gusto

I played FF12 back in January when I got offa the WoWz.

I think you might be a little disappointed...

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I spent 2 years clean of WoW, then Half-Knights formed and sucked me back into my raiding bad habits.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I played FF12 back in January when I got offa the WoWz.

I think you might be a little disappointed...
Disappointed or not, it's my duty as a FF player to get through it.

The only one I'll never play "through" is FFXI as there really isn't a way to do that.

Besides.....

:drool:

Dave

Dave

I spent 2 years clean of WoW, then Half-Knights formed and sucked me back into my raiding bad habits.

And then promptly abandoned you. I'm sorry, man!

Krisken

Krisken

And then promptly abandoned you. I'm sorry, man![/QUOTE]
Part of your devious plan all along, wasn't it? WASN'T IT!?!?!

Ahem, I mean, carry on.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I was a guild leader in UO and I learned my lesson fast and hard on that subject. I foolishly took up an officer mantle at one point in WoW: That lasted a whole month.

Just interesting to see how much more I get done in my day without WoW. Granted it's killing me to know that I won't take part in the slaying of Arthas or see the Cataclysm, but honestly that one bit of "story" for the weeks upon weeks of repeating the same dungeons, same bosses and same "daily quests" is just not worth it.

Chibibar

I haven't play for about a year now and STILL have it installed :(

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Oh, it's still installed. De-installing and tossing the discs would be cheating.

Cuyval Dar

Good for you, Shegs.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Congrats on finally breaking free. My thoughts on your gaming pile...

Xenosaga series: Each game gets better, but each game plays radically different than the last. I think the story is worth it, but you can tell they rushed things a bit with three... it was supposed to be a six game series covering chapters 1 and 2 of the "Xeno" story. Due to poor sales, we'll probably never know the whole story (unless Square-Enix remakes Xenogears), but at least Part 3 has some cool straight up allusions to Xenogears.

Final Fantasy 12: I never really understood the hate for this one... yeah, it's not turn-based. The gambit system makes it unduly hard in the beginning of the game and way to fucking easy at the end. It's still a better story than most of the recent games.

Persona: Wait for the PSP remake of Persona 3 (assuming it includes "The Answer" post-game. If not, get Persona 3 FES). Persona 4 doesn't look like it's getting an updated game.

Null

Null

P3P doesn't include The Answer, but it does include FMC (Female Main Character) and new S. Links for her game. I just finished The Answer and I thought it was excellent.

I really like FF12, I'm just between a couple of really big hunts and trying to collect Tournesol. Basically I need one more Soul of Empyra from the Henne Mines Secret Dig, and I keep getting slaughtered in there. So I stopped playing two years ago.

FF12 plays sort of like an MMO and you can set your party up for various roles.

I could never get into XenoSaga.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Enjoy your time. :)

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

FFXII does play like an MMO, and that's what turned me off.... then. I would play it and think I could spend this xp grinding on side-questing on WoW. Now that it's not an issue....

elph

As one leaves, another enters.

I get a text today.. goes something like this...

Friend: Hey. WoW 5 year anniversary. Go get your pet!
Me: I know, but I can't. Account's frozen.
Friend: Frozen?
Me: Yep, since March. Remember?
Friend: Well, give me your account info.
Me: Why?
Friend: I know how you are about your non-combat pets. And I've been wanting to play a warrior without leveling one.
Me: Fucker, you're going to get me addicted again.

Long story short.. he reactivates my account.. and I'm now updating addons.. Sigh.. Free since like Feb of this year..

David

David

I just quit the other day too. Though technically quit a month ago, canceled my subscription the other day. Found no point in paying the monthly fee to something I'm never in the mood to play.

Adam

Adammon

I just quit the other day too. Though technically quit a month ago, canceled my subscription the other day. Found no point in paying the monthly fee to something I'm never in the mood to play.
At the risk of telling a bad joke, I think you just defined marriage :)

Shannow

Shannow

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

David

David

You have to pay your wife a monthly subscription fee?

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

I have a strong dislike for WoW. Being addicted to it will never be a problem for me

Heya Sheg, how good are you at fighting games?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I played a few games on a professional level with a team from San Antonio a few years back. I placed in a few State tournaments at MvC2, CvS2 and Tekken Tag Tournament. I went to California quite a few years back for a multi-game Nationals and placed in TTT and CvS2 (my MvC2 rank wasn't superb as I refused to play Cable/Sentinel/Storm) though my shining moment was placing first in a small Samurai Showdown 4 tournament in S.Cal (SS4 never had a large enough following to justify larger tournaments).

Sadly, I've been out of the fighting game loop now for about 6-7yrs.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

D'aw.

I've gotten so proficient at them that no one wants to face me anymore. :(
Online play is fun sometimes, but too many people use the same pattern. Once in awhile you get someone who can match your "groove". How I long for those days again.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Games you've never started/finished? I know that noise.
Heck, I have FFVII (for PC!) within my reach right now, and I've never even once finished it. And that's just one of the many on my shelves.

--Patrick

Chazwozel

I got sucked into it after watching the Cataclysm crap on Blizzards site, and a month later quit. The game is still so damn boring once you level. It's the same old shit. My guild has like two people on at one time. There's always drama over raiding. Trade channel drops my IQ about 20 points. You can't buy anything anymore because the AH is so inflated. I want to PvP in the battlegrounds but my gear is so shitty that I can't even compete. In fact, all I ever want to do is PvP in battlegrounds so I figured TF2 lets me do that without wasting my life finding gear.

MMO's are video games for people who suck at video games.

Chibibar

I got sucked into it after watching the Cataclysm crap on Blizzards site, and a month later quit. The game is still so damn boring once you level. It's the same old shit. My guild has like two people on at one time. There's always drama over raiding. Trade channel drops my IQ about 20 points. You can't buy anything anymore because the AH is so inflated. I want to PvP in the battlegrounds but my gear is so shitty that I can't even compete. In fact, all I ever want to do is PvP in battlegrounds so I figured TF2 lets me do that without wasting my life finding gear.

MMO's are video games for people who suck at video games.
That is my take on PvP. TF2 is popular cause regardless of gear (same for all class) it is skill that let you win/lose the game. How well you know your map, your opponent and well... your character.

In WoW, you have to know above AND get better gear or you wouldn't stand a chance. This is probably one of the hardest thing in any MMO to have PvE and PvP in the same game. WoW is doing well to have both "pretty balance" but yea.. I can't stand the drama and such either.

but... the New Final Fantasy MMORPG might suck me in cause I'm a sucker for crafting. I love to craft in-game.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Hey I think it's cool that you quit Shego, always play the games when you enjoy them, otherwise whats the point? If you need to move on, you need to move on.

I do think it is a bit odd to hear people acting like they "have" to play though when you are subscribed, it's just a game, you enjoy it or you don't enjoy it. I take time off often to go play other games, like Dragon Age, Overlord 2, Borderlands, League of Legends, New Super Mario Wii, and a lot of DS games like Professor Layton. The whole time I never unsubscribe unless I know I will not play for a month straight, much like I don't get rid of my cable even though I only watch TV maybe once every two weeks.

I think it comes down to the fact you felt more obligated to play, and that is never a good thing. A game should never be an obligation, you need to be able to walk away when you just are not feeling it, whether WoW or anything else, it's cool you took the extra step. Do hope we sink our teeth into you again come Cataclysm though. :cool:

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I had a new epiphany today that I think sealed the deal for me Scytherexx.

I was in the bathroom, waiting for the tub to fill with hot water, going over a few specials in the paper when I realized I still haven't finish my book yet. So I get it off the top shelf in the bathroom and start reading.

Suddenly I realize WHAT I'm reading: Arthas - The Lich King. I got very sullen for a moment. I sat there thinking "I can't read this anymore, it's just going to make me want to play WoW for the storyline" and just like that it hit me like a ton of bricks: I hate the "game" WoW and I love the story.

I've always "hated WoW" but would play because I NEEDED to gear up so that I could do the raids that would lead to the storyline. But why? 9/10 times all the bosses in an raid have NOTHING to add to the lore/storyline of the series. They're just there as fodder to cost you hours upon hours of "gerbil running" just so that I can get to the final boss, hear his speech, kill him and hear the rest of the story.

That's the only way to get the story right? Bullshit, that's what HD Youtube is for. I realized that I always felt like I was having the story held from me and I had to run in my little gerbil wheel for months before I could have it. Waiting between content patches, waiting till my guild would get a strat right for boss 3/10 in a raid, etc etc. All for what? I was never about the loot, I was never about my "role in the world" as noone in WoW is considered anything for their work. No, it was always so that I could hear the storyline and see where the world went. I just now realize, I don't have to run in that gerbil wheel for weeks/months to get it.

I won't be back, I enjoy games where I play as "someone who matters". I enjoy games where I kill a boss and there's a reason for it and storyline that supports it and storyline that progresses for it. As much as I love the WoW universe, I hate the vehicle the story is currently in and will be "reading the story" as it's released in another manner.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

If that is how you felt then I have to say you are making the right choice. Like you, Chaz, and Amor have mentioned, the game is not that fun to you at this point. Now the term "fun" is very subjective, I still enjoy the game a lot even at the level cap with multiple characters, but even I know the day the game loses it's fun I will stop playing, that is how it is with all games, and I have no obligation to continue when the game is no longer fun to me.

I think even when that day comes, I will probably still be getting all the comics, novels, mangas, etc... I also love the story of WarCraft since I started following it back in WarCraft 1. That is going to probably stay with me long after I grow out of games, and I know I would be back for WarCraft 4 whenever it happens. ;)

And besides, even if you don't play you know I will always be around to argue storylines or talk about them, have to keep you up to date. :director:

Cajungal

Cajungal

I had a lot of fun making up characters and role playing, but I'm just so terrible at PVP in that game. No one outside a small circle of friends wanted to play with me or group with me I was so bad.

Chazwozel

I want friggin RTS Warcraft back damn it!

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

See, I'm not big on RTS either so much, and I was definitely not a fan of the "Hero" style of Warcraft 3. Again, I played through the rounds mostly to see the storyline. *sigh*

None the less, I'm glad I did play these past 5 years, but I also regret throwing the time at it and missing out on alot of other games in the process.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I had a lot of fun making up characters and role playing, but I'm just so terrible at PVP in that game. No one outside a small circle of friends wanted to play with me or group with me I was so bad.
I used to fight a lot in BGs and Arenas in the Burning Crusade expansion, was pretty good too, but then WOTLK came out and my whole game shifted to dungeons and raids. I tried to PVP again recently and I felt like a wet piece of toilet paper. It's really all about just practicing it, but man is practicing it hard when you get so destroyed by arena junkies. :p

It will be back someday, I still play WC3 now and then. Right now I am just ramped up for SC2, I played that little bit at BlizzCon and now I am salivating over it. I want to burn some ZERG!

Fun Size

Fun Size

Shego, you have just made me feel so much better for skipping this thing. I've never played WoW, but when I play a game, I have to finish it because I feel the need to know where the story goes. I tend to favor games with a strong story, to the point where I skip almost all arcade/puzzle/racing games these days due to lack of story. WoW would have sucked my life away for sure.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

The problem with the story in WoW, was you got small chunks, litterally about maybe 1-2 Chapters worth in a book, every 3+ months. :(

ElJuski

ElJuski

Sheg, I gotta say, I'm proud of you girldogg. You have SO much time to enrich yourself, and you want to enrich yourself, and that's fucking awesome! :)

Fun Size

Fun Size

Now, back to previous story. You were running a bath, waiting for the tub to fill. Leave nothing out. This is important to the healing process.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I agree with this statement comepltely.

bigcountry23

bigcountry23

Apparently they are feeling the pinch of Shego leaving. I read this thread and opened my e-mail to find a "how about a free hit of crack" e-mail from blizzard...

Koko

I just leveled a priest to 80 in 6 days /played after selling my old account and quitting for a good 6 months.

I play the game without mindlessly running the same dungeon over and over to get a new piece of gear. The whole concept of acquiring gear to be able to acquire better gear in a month died in me near the end of Pre-BC.

Having played 5 years too, started on the 1st day of release, I learned a long time ago that if you aren't enjoying yourself, stop playing.

It's a game, not work, not life, not a relationship.
Just a game designed for entertainment.

Oddbot

Good for you! I've never really been able to "quit" MMOs since I first discovered them in high school with FFXI. Since then when I've quit one MMO I've simply bounced to the next. During that time I played Wow for about 2 years, and honestly once I got to endgame and began raiding I put way too much time into it. I'm sort of like you, except that instead of story being what I was striving for (Honestly I've never found Warcraft lore particularly interesting), it was simply the need to see and do everything the game had to offer. I HATED the fact that there was a dungeon or a raid out there that other people got to do and I didn't. I wanted to see first hand, to experience and conquer everything the game had to offer, and in order to do this you had to run through the gear treadmill, so I did.

Luckily though as soon as I got into the LOTRO closed beta I quit WoW. Being a tolkein nut and an mmo addict, I was looking forward to LOTRO for a long time and as soon as I played it for a bit I knew it would be my new virtual home. The game is a much better fit for me, since it is more casual than WoW in a lot of ways. Seeing and doing everything in LOTRO is much less of a time commitment than WoW. Some of the coolest and most story-filled moments of the game, the epic quests, take only 6 people to complete, and I've conquered every raid in the game and my main has basically the best gear he possibly could, yet I only raid about 3 days a week. On off nights I can dedicate my time to other things like crafting / lvling alts / pvping or you know just not playing. The need to play just isn't there like it was in Wow. Now I play because I want to. The pace of the game just suits me much better and doesn't rule my life.

Koko

I feel the MMOs without a focus on equipment are more likely to be a financial success, but those without (ex. City of Heros/Villains) have a smoother and more enjoyable experience, although they usually compensate by heavy leveling hurdles.

Oddbot

I feel the same way about CoX. I always had a blast creating my character but once I got into the actual game I wouldn't last very long before I'd quit in boredom.

Koko

I feel the MMOs without a focus on equipment are more likely to be a financial success, but those without (ex. City of Heros/Villains) have a smoother and more enjoyable experience, although they usually compensate by heavy leveling hurdles.
Forgot I was going to add, without the focus on equipment, there's no sense of direction and the playability of the game becomes zilch.

It's a doubled edged sword.

Perhaps SWTOR will increase playability without adding the horrors of loot grinding with story.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

CoX has all kinds of stuff to do if you want additional challenges. There are dozens of badges (basically achievements) you can earn via replaying old missions in Ouroborus with handicaps, not to mention the hundreds of missions that players have made in the Mission Architect (You can earn badges there too.)

Honestly though... if your going to stick with CoX for any reason, it's for the community. It's not the hate consumed, knuckle dragging, whiny bitch filled one that WoW has.

Jay

Jay

I used to play WoW religiously back in the day, heavily involved in the "raid" scene. Our guild was in fact ranked 82nd in the world after we downed Kil'jaeden. A fact that was pretty impressive considering that would have put us us in the top 1000 players in the game out of 13 million or so subscribers.

However, the game was killing me. Trying to balance, work, my woman, a social life, other acivities was difficult. I left the game.

Since then, life has been pretty awesome. I lost slightly over 20 pounds and have been slowly working out to regain my toned body. I've caught up on most of my TV series and movies (at one point I had 700 gigs worth of shit that I downloaded and stored, now I only got 120 gigs to go). Been playing other games. The woman is happy and I enlarged my circle of friends.

Heck, I went from a lurker to these forums to an actual poster!

Good luck in your new freedom woman.

fade

fade

I have to agree with Chazwozel and AME. I played WoW for 2 months. By the end of the second, I was playing maybe 10 minutes a night out of some obligation to use what I payed for. But it was just way too easy. I rarely found anything a challenge. Most RPGs, MMO or not, seem to be really easy. It's the linearity that kills it for me. You level, but so do the monsters. Leveling essentially amounts to changing the graphics associated with your grinding kill process. Also on WoW, CoX, and DDO, I get sick of the broadcast chatters who make it clear that there's only one good way to play/build your character. But really, they're so over-balanced, it almost doesn't matter. Even if it did, isn't that part of the fun?

That's the thing I really hated about the WoW community--the view of it as work. I got tired of hearing, "Oh the game gets really fun at 80!" Really? So what are the other 79 for? Obligation? Dues? That's stupid. Plus for millions of subscribers, PUGs seemed extremely rare. The only "MMO" part of it was the chat window.

I did like one thing about DDO: levels actually meant something. As in, level 1 wasn't a throw-away level. You actually had to live with it and complete missions.