Export thread

A New Custom... and you're invited!

Cajungal

Cajungal

So, anyone who knows me pretty well on the boards might know that one of the most tragic events in my life was my godmother's suicide. You might also know that, a few years later, her husband--an alcoholic--passed away as well. Their three kids managed to come out of this okay. One is going through a divorce, but her two sons are good boys who bring her lots of happiness. The other two are married with children, and they're all very close. They are all wonderful people and take every opportunity to remind their siblings that they have support. I'm lucky to have them in my life, and I'm so grateful that they've survived such tragedy.

Well today, I got an email from my cousin Lisa, the day after the 9th anniversary of Aunt Karen's death. She talked about the happiness she felt at having any time at all with her parents and her sadness at losing them so soon. She talked about how they were both kind, caring people who would give the shirt off their back to a stranger who truly needed it. This inspired her to start a new family custom....

On December 18, Aunt Karen and Uncle Greg's wedding anniversary, we're declaring it "Share a Smile" day. Everyone in the family is going to make a point to do something good for someone else. Of course, I know we should try to do this every day. But sometimes it's good to have a day set aside to remind us of what's important, and that's what this is.

She told me to spread the word to as many people as I can, and that's what I'm doing. December 18 is a very special day for my family now, and you're welcome to take it up yourself. I know y'all don't know them, but I would truly be happy if any of my online friends helped to honor the memory of my departed godparents.

That's it, y'all. Thanks for listening. :)

makare

That sounds like a really nice idea. :)

Null

Null

December 18th. Got it.

General Specific

General Specific

I'm in. :D

Hylian

Hylian

sure, why not?

Docseverin

Docseverin

So don't blow houses up that day?

Krisken

Krisken

Hm, I'll try to pencil it in. I'm notoriously bad at remembering this sort of thing. I miss Talk Like a Pirate Day almost every year until it is almost over, so maybe a reminder when it gets close would be nice. I'll still try to do something nice for someone and make them smile, even if I miss the actual date.

Math242

Math242

takes note to fire anyone on the 18Th

Dave

Dave

Remind me on the 16th or 17th and I'll stick a notice up and we'll make it a board day. :D

Chazwozel

Your Flower Power is no match for my Glower Power. muhahhahhaahhahahahhahahhahaaaha

Dave

Dave

I'll buy you a puppy. You know, for a new vest.

Matt²

Remind me on the 16th or 17th and I'll stick a notice up and we'll make it a board day. :D
yeah I'll need a reminder too but it sounds good.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Sure thing. I'll remind everybody again once it's actually December. ^_^ Thanks!

Dave

Dave

You know, I forgot that I can set notices to show up on a specific date. So on December 18, it'll show up whether I remember or not. It's already set up and ready to go.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Thanks, Boss!