Export thread

A real SAAB story.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

GM is shutting down SAAB. They can not come to a timely agreement to sell, so the brand will be shuttered.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091218/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gm_saab

It is kinda fitting. Since these ill advised mergers have a lot to do with the failure of the 'Big 3' automakers.

Dave

Dave

This is also not a surprise. It was inevitable as was the demise of Saturn.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Saturn would be the branch of the tree that I would try to save. Small, elegant cars should be the wave of the future. Except it just became "another GM division" that specialized in selling the Opal brand in America.

Bubble181

Bubble181

It's Opel, not Opal.
That aside, I'm sad to see SAAB go, they were good cars.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Well, they don't sell here anyway.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Now the Swedes will retaliate by re-instating their ultimate state-sponsored terrorist organisation: ABBA.

Shh, did you hear that? Can you hear the drums, Fernando...?

Vagabond

V.Bond

Oh, this is a sad thing indeed. It wasn't really GM's fault, to be honest, Saab was practically dead in the water when they were acquired.

But not updating the 9-5 for what, 10 years? That was the kind of shit people will remember. And the platform prostitution.

The funny thing is, Saab was one of the deciding factors in the decision to end the Oldsmobile line.

It really could have made it if GM ever committed to making something of it.

strawman

strawman

The car companies are simply pulling back during the recession (which will continue to affect the auto market long after it rebounds in other markets).

The brand won't produce any more cars, but it may re-appear in the future depending on how things go in a decade or so.

Vagabond

V.Bond

The car companies are simply pulling back during the recession (which will continue to affect the auto market long after it rebounds in other markets).

The brand won't produce any more cars, but it may re-appear in the future depending on how things go in a decade or so.
It's that kind of thinking that keeps a glimmer of hope alive within me for an awesome revival of Pontiac.

It could totally happen shutup.

Chazwozel

It's that kind of thinking that keeps a glimmer of hope alive within me for an awesome revival of Pontiac.

It could totally happen shutup.[/QUOTE]

Yeah okay Bandit.

Vagabond

V.Bond

:humph: