Export thread

A woman can deadlift 240lbs? wow!

Chibibar

That is pretty cool. She can literally pick me up (230 here) and toss me about.

But that is not the reason of the post. She is Muslim (and freakin strong) but she cannot compete internationally cause she must show arms and legs....... why?!?!

She can do all this while wearing a hijab. I say go for it!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43527580/from/RSS/

edit: Those who don't want to read the whole thing. She is also getting PhD in Computer networking and Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do!!

strawman

strawman

The "show arms and legs" rule might be to combat equipment/clothing/support systems that can enhance one's ability to lift weights. Even "minor" things such as cloth specially woven and wrapped around the muscles in a particular way can make it a few percent easier to lift objects than without - and that translates to several pounds in the range she's in, which could make the difference between winning and losing.

Mind you, I'm just guessing, but if she did win while wearing a hijab people wouldn't be able to stop questioning whether she cheated in some small way.

Dave

Dave

If she wears less clothes, where will she hide the steroids?

Chibibar

The "show arms and legs" rule might be to combat equipment/clothing/support systems that can enhance one's ability to lift weights. Even "minor" things such as cloth specially woven and wrapped around the muscles in a particular way can make it a few percent easier to lift objects than without - and that translates to several pounds in the range she's in, which could make the difference between winning and losing.

Mind you, I'm just guessing, but if she did win while wearing a hijab people wouldn't be able to stop questioning whether she cheated in some small way.
Ah. now that argument (assuming such item exist) would make sense. A fiber that enhance the body. I can see that.

Jay

Jay

All women should compete naked.

Shakey

Shakey

Apparently you've never seen a naked female body builder before.

Jay

Jay

Bigger forearms than my head?

Math242

Math242

and smaller boobs than yours

Shakey

Shakey

Might as well throw some lipstick on a guy and tuck it back.

Gared

Gared

Might as well throw some lipstick on a guy and tuck it back.
That's assuming they haven't used so many 'roids that they no longer have anything to tuck back.

Disconnected

i can too... everytime i get out of bed
:rimshot:

@Li3n

@Li3n

The "show arms and legs" rule might be to combat equipment/clothing/support systems that can enhance one's ability to lift weights.
That's totally discriminatory against cyborgs...

EDIT: And that's not why, the article mentions the reason: "At present, the rules require arms and legs to be bare so judges can see when elbows and knees are “locked” to determine if a lift is successful."

Added at: 20:31
Apparently you've never seen a naked female body builder before.
She vertainly doesn't look 'roided up in those shots... her neck is no where near thick enough...

strawman

strawman

Wait, you expect me to read an article rather than simply spouting off BS based on the portion of the title thread that I bothered to skim?

:aaah:

@Li3n

@Li3n

No Mr. stienman, i expect you to DIE!!!! LASER SHARKS!!!

Mathias

Mathias

I can deadlift 400 lbs max, and I weight 245 lbs. What's your point, article? I hate when people claim to lift a weight without putting it in context. Is this her rep weight? Is it her max? How much does she weigh?

Why are they using her deadlift weight?

High weight deadlifts are a joke. They are a tongue in cheek joke amongst serious powerlifters.

strawman

strawman

I can buckle my spine with only 1,234lb!

Chibibar

I can deadlift 400 lbs max, and I weight 245 lbs. What's your point, article? I hate when people claim to lift a weight without putting it in context. Is this her rep weight? Is it her max? How much does she weigh?

Why are they using her deadlift weight?

High weight deadlifts are a joke. They are a tongue in cheek joke amongst serious powerlifters.
I figure since she was "fighting" for rule change, I thought 240 must be good in order to compete. The main part is that she cannot compete due to "uniform" issue (the Hijab)

@Li3n

@Li3n

I don't even know what lb are... metric bitches, it works.

David

David

metric bitches sounds like the name of a very weird fetish website.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Or an AWESOME band name

@Li3n

@Li3n

Well i'll happily license the name for 10% of gross...