adding a second HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 650 gb green drive that came with my computer, I want to add a new 2 TB drive I got, but I am unsure of the process to get it up and running with my current drive. any help would be appreciated! ^_^

figmentPez

Staff member
Are you looking to move your operating system to the new drive, or do you just want to add the additional storage?

W

wana10

if it's just adding the additional storage space plug it in and boot up. if it doesn't show up automatically run disk management(assuming windows) and then format the drive ntfs and assign it a letter.

cool will do so in the morning, I got it to back up rare dvd's and other things that I dont want to constantly handle....

C

Chibibar

Adding a drive to your exisiting system is pretty easy. I presume it is a tower type, you just have to hook up the drive to the 2nd SATA port. There should be cable with your machine, if not, one should be included with your drive. Connect the power and you should be good. There are some cases that in the BIOS it is disable, you can check there to make sure it is auto detect (work most of the time) and just go into windows. Windows should see the drive with no issue if not, you can double check via right click on my computer (or computer with window 7) and left click manage, you should see disk management. you should see your drive (format or not) in there. Assign a letter and format NTFS and you are golden.

got it installed and making use of it now, good stuff, got a bunch of shit from my buddies because I went with a WD eco green drive instead of the black power model.

M

Matt²

I'm too late for this thread, but I use Easeus Partition Manager to do this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.