Export thread

An idea for a website

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

counttheminorities.com!

I was watching some movie with a friend a while back and she was like, "There are like no black people in this movie," and I realized she was right. So we started counting the number of black people we could find-- foreground, background, extras, whatever. I don't remember what we got, but that wasn't the point. It was fun and the information was "amusing" which is what a lot of sites are now-- just hosting something mildly amusing.

So I was thinking, if there was a website that had a huge database of movies (ones already counted, an area to request a movie, submit your own counts, etc) that had the number of minorities (and if you just feel like counting a shitload, even the majorities) in that movie.

If the movie is typical, the majority would be whites, so you count the asian, black, middle-eastern, etc.

If the movie is pre-dominantly black, count the whites and so on.

If the movie is from Japan, count the non-Japanese! (The number will probably be 0.)

It would be interesting to see the count rise from the early movies to the more modern ones. Also, those die-hards who count every single person in huge establishing shots for cities or the like.

I think it'd be fun. I have no way of getting this off the ground, of course, but it struck me as an entertaining idea.

And if I wasn't sure I'd be shut down by copyright holders, I'd go for the movie pun and call the website...

Minority Report

(Y'see, it's funny cuz it's a movie and the website gives a report on minorities in the movie!) :sneaky:

Dave

Dave

I think you would open yourself up to the comments of several thousand total douchebags.

I see what you are saying but I think it's a bad idea.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I think you would open yourself up to the comments of several thousand total douchebags.
Kinda like you did there Dave? :slywink:

Dave

Dave

I am speaking from experience.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Actually, that idea is pretty genius. Start talking to people (before I do).

Dave

Dave

I just know how people are about racist stuff. As long as he didn't give anyone the ability to comment I think he'd be fine.

In fact, I think he could get several minority groups behind him.

Andromache

___

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

Oh, of course not. I would never allow comments on a site like that. XD

It would be information only and a way to request or submit your own counts, which would then possibly be verified by another.

Philosopher B.

That sounds like a rad idea. Do eet.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Movie titles are not copyrightable. You will not fall afoul of copyright holders by naming it "minority report"

Trademark infringement is a different beast entirely.

klew

klew

How about print advertisements?

Fun Size

Fun Size

Try it with Congress as well. Also, DO EET!