Export thread

And the terrorists have won

Chazwozel

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/01/08/nj.security.breach/

TLDR: Article about the Newark Aiport security breach.

I'm pretty glad this guy is getting charge only with trespassing and nothing further. It's amazing to read comments on these stories. A couple of them want him sent to federal prison. Honestly though, isn't Newark security the area to focus the blame?

Anyway. I love how after the Dec 25 failed bombing, you see all sorts of planes being diverted and grounded due to unruly passengers. The terrorists have won, my friends.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

So they left ONE guy at a no access point?

Brilliant job, Newark.

Chazwozel

You gotta wonder too. It's guarded by a rope! A single fucking rope. We Americans have been conditioned to stay behind the velvet ropes, but many other cultures don't give a shit. If Newark would really ramp up their security they could install 5ft plexi glass barriers.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Sounds like Newark airport to me. Fuckin' hate that place.

EDIT: Not that LGA or JFK are any better. It says something when you make airport decisions about which major airports you use and you pick the one you hate least.

Kitty Sinatra

Why is he being charged with anything? Dude crossed a rope. The security officer that left his post should be the one disciplined.

Chazwozel

Why is he being charged with anything? Dude crossed a rope. The security officer that left his post should be the one disciplined.
Uh, no he should definitely be charged with trespassing like his. The TSA guy told him that non-passengers are restricted beyond the rope. When the TSA agent left his post, the guy crossed the rope anyway. It's still the TSA's fault, but the Chinese dude needs to be punished for deliberately breaking a rule and causing 16,000 people to be delayed. The fault is mostly on the TSA and their shoddy security measures though (i.e. the assumption that someone won't cross a rope just because you told them not to). Assumptions lead to piss poor security. I just don't understand why they don't close off restricted areas with glass dividers. It's quick, easy, and cheap to do it. Personally, I think TSA needs to screen for more competent employees. My cousin got a TSA job a couple years ago, and she's dumb as a post.

My aunt works at JFK (mother of my cousin) as a manger for one of the airlines. She tells me the problem with international airports (and subsequently why airport guards/staff are such assholes to people) is that many, many travelers just plain don't listen. A security official will tell them not to do something or go somewhere and they still try it. It's a shitty job that requires you to deal with dumbfucks on a daily basis. Add in cultural biases (for example, not every culture responds to a velvet rope like Americans do) and you can have some trouble getting people to move where you want them to.

I'm of the camp that believes humans in large numbers in one area are just as stupid as cattle. Therefore the best way to handle people in areas like airports is to herd them through chutes, not velvet ropes. I also wish that airports would employ better acoustics so you could actually hear what the hell the announcers are saying. Most airports are old and in need of overhaul, and the ones that are overhauled are done so by the lowest bidder and as cheap and inefficient as possible. The airline industry sucks balls.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Uh, no he should definitely be charged with trespassing like his. The TSA guy told him that non-passengers are restricted beyond the rope. When the TSA agent left his post, the guy crossed the rope anyway. It's still the TSA's fault, but the Chinese dude needs to be punished for deliberately breaking a rule and causing 16,000 people to be delayed. The fault is mostly on the TSA and their shoddy security measures though (i.e. the assumption that someone won't cross a rope just because you told them not to). Assumptions lead to piss poor security. I just don't understand why they don't close off restricted areas with glass dividers. It's quick, easy, and cheap to do it. Personally, I think TSA needs to screen for more competent employees. My cousin got a TSA job a couple years ago, and she's dumb as a post.

My aunt works at JFK (mother of my cousin) as a manger for one of the airlines. She tells me the problem with international airports (and subsequently why airport guards/staff are such assholes to people) is that many, many travelers just plain don't listen. A security official will tell them not to do something or go somewhere and they still try it. It's a shitty job that requires you to deal with dumbfucks on a daily basis. Add in cultural biases (for example, not every culture responds to a velvet rope like Americans do) and you can have some trouble getting people to move where you want them to.

I'm of the camp that believes humans in large numbers in one area are just as stupid as cattle. Therefore the best way to handle people in areas like airports is to herd them through chutes, not velvet ropes. I also wish that airports would employ better acoustics so you could actually hear what the hell the announcers are saying. Most airports are old and in need of overhaul, and the ones that are overhauled are done so by the lowest bidder and as cheap and inefficient as possible. The airline industry sucks balls.[/QUOTE]

^This.

People bitch about how inconvenient and long it takes to go through security--not getting that it takes longer when security is less efficient and shit like this happens.

I gotta say from personal experience, I get through security in a snap because I know what I'm supposed to be doing and I LISTEN. Shoes off, in the bucket. Laptop out of the case, in its own bucket. Case in the bucket, with keys and cell phone. Belt off, in the bucket. Walk through the detector. Grab buckets off the line, put shoes and belt back on, laptop in the case, junk in the pockets, and I'm on my merry way. Takes 2 minutes.

@Li3n

@Li3n

You mean to tell me you can just cross ropes?! Man, Osama needs to hear about this, think of all the terror opportunities we missed because of our fear of you american rope technology...

Denbrought

Denbrought

People bitch about how inconvenient and long it takes to go through security--not getting that it takes longer when security is less efficient and shit like this happens.

I gotta say from personal experience, I get through security in a snap because I know what I'm supposed to be doing and I LISTEN. Shoes off, in the bucket. Laptop out of the case, in its own bucket. Case in the bucket, with keys and cell phone. Belt off, in the bucket. Walk through the detector. Grab buckets off the line, put shoes and belt back on, laptop in the case, junk in the pockets, and I'm on my merry way. Takes 2 minutes.
You forgot to add the 10 minutes for checking and doublechecking your all personal information, and everybody getting a pat-down.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

You forgot to add the 10 minutes for checking and doublechecking your all personal information, and everybody getting a pat-down.[/QUOTE]

Never happened to me. I've seen it once, when a guy started complaining about having to take off his belt.

Edit: You're in Spain. Whole different ball game than U.S. airports. I know nothing about Spain's airline procedures.

Denbrought

Denbrought

You forgot to add the 10 minutes for checking and doublechecking your all personal information, and everybody getting a pat-down.[/QUOTE]

Never happened to me. I've seen it once, when a guy started complaining about having to take off his belt.

Edit: You're in Spain. Whole different ball game than U.S. airports. I know nothing about Spain's airline procedures.[/QUOTE]
Netherlands' new procedures are that.
The U.S.' entry procedures are 5~ minutes and then half the people get pat-down/microwaved, at least in Atlanta.

The problem with both is the horribly long&slow rows of people, no matter how well-behaved everybody is.

evilmike

evilmike

I don't think the text makes it clear enough -- he crossed a rope and then walked the wrong way back into the terminal. It makes the trespass charge seem a bit more reasonable.

That being said, the TSA screwed up in several ways. The agent shouldn't have left his post, and as you say, it's a rope! I fly in and out of a fairly small airport which has maybe 5 gates and they've got a better security setup.

Rob King

Rob King

That being said, the TSA screwed up in several ways. The agent shouldn't have left his post, and as you say, it's a rope! I fly in and out of a fairly small airport which has maybe 5 gates and they've got a better security setup.
The most insane airports I have ever been in security-wise have been the small ones. The one closes to my hometown has 3 'gates.' My luggage has been hand-searched, and more metal detector wandings and pat downs have happened there than anywhere else I've been.

This year, all of Canada's international airports are going to be receiving those 3d body scanners that show all your junk. I'll never be able to get onto a plane again, because my penis technically qualifies as a weapon in 13 states.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Airports need to be better designed, workers need to do their job and do it competently, and people should just accept that the hassle is part of the convenience of getting to fly instead of driving or taking a boat, until the former problems get resolved.

Then again, I fly maybe once a year or two.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The most insane airports I have ever been in security-wise have been the small ones. The one closes to my hometown has 3 'gates.' My luggage has been hand-searched, and more metal detector wandings and pat downs have happened there than anywhere else I've been.

This year, all of Canada's international airports are going to be receiving those 3d body scanners that show all your junk. I'll never be able to get onto a plane again, because my penis technically qualifies as a weapon in 13 states.[/QUOTE]

If they got those here, I'm done flying. I just don't trust those things.

Jay

Jay

Well, Montreal already has those scanners and when I went to Italy they did the scans. It didn't bother me.

And quite frankly, our airport's entries and exits are blocked off by multiple doors and agents are always in pairs. They only allow people to go in one direction, no one comes back from a door they exited. I've seen this happen 2 years ago and told these two passengers to show up at X place to request to re-entry and that they were disturbing the travels of other passengers (with a hand on their guns and the other hand on their radio). There were multiple signs of moving forward and out.

The fact that this happened at Newark is fucking deplorable and should all be under the blame of their shoddy system.

Espy

Espy

Worst security experience: I'm in Venice, going from there to Sydney. 5am flight, get to the airport and find out that... I'm on the no-fly list into Australia.
Or rather, someone with my name is. So guess what that means? Have a NORMAL name you get stuck in Malaysia waiting for your travel agent to clear your name with the Australian government.

Rob King

Rob King

Reminds me of the time I went to Haiti. The agent who had booked the team's flights messed up. I have two middle names, so instead of Joshua Alvin Kenmore Thompson, she listed me as Joshua Alvin Kenmore, and left off my last name completely. I shat bricks when I saw my visas and boarding passes all in the wrong name.

Turns out Haiti didn't care. Probably has something to do with being a third world country.

Roxxoredizorz

The fact that this happened at Newark is fucking deplorable and should all be under the blame of their shoddy system.
I think not only is it their shoddy system, but the American's system. With the guy on the 25th, he was on your TERRORIST WATCH LIST. Anybody on a TERRORIST WATCH LIST should be searched, and/or patted down multiple times. Now everyone else has to suffer. I can't fly (in an American flight companies) plane, across the border, with any carry-on fucking baggage.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Worst security experience: I'm in Venice, going from there to Sydney. 5am flight, get to the airport and find out that... I'm on the no-fly list into Australia.
Or rather, someone with my name is. So guess what that means? Have a NORMAL name you get stuck in Malaysia waiting for your travel agent to clear your name with the Australian government.
Well, that has to be the craziest one yet. Why were you in Venice and finding out, but then they send you on to Malaysia anyway?

Rob King: Why would you want to go to Haiti? Or I guess it depends when this was.

Espy

Espy

I think not only is it their shoddy system, but the American's system. With the guy on the 25th, he was on your TERRORIST WATCH LIST. Anybody on a TERRORIST WATCH LIST should NOT BE LET ON THE AIRPLANE.
FTFY

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I think not only is it their shoddy system, but the American's system. With the guy on the 25th, he was on your TERRORIST WATCH LIST. Anybody on a TERRORIST WATCH LIST should NOT BE LET ON THE AIRPLANE.
FTFY[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Espy

Espy

Seriously. I couldn't get on a plane because some 50 year old dude had my name. Mr. HEY! I'm on the TERRORIST WATCH LIST! get put right on. WTH.

Rob King

Rob King

Rob King: Why would you want to go to Haiti? Or I guess it depends when this was.
I went in 2007 for as part of a mission team from the Salvation Army going down to repair and upgrade a school/church/clinic. Although there was plenty of desire for adventure and lore that led to my applying for the mission team. I'm hoping to go again in the spring with another mission, although I discovered recently that the town we are intending to go to was the epicenter of the 2005 rebellion. Should be interesting.

I don't want to be reckless, but if you go somewhere like that under the banner of the Salvation Army, it's better than a bulletproof vest. For example, in Petit Goave (the community we went to in 2007) the Salvation Army is on visiting terms with the local drug lord, which means that we can go into slums and villages that others can't. Not that that makes it safe, but it's certainly a good thing to be respected/left alone by the local armed groups.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I went in 2007 for as part of a mission team from the Salvation Army going down to repair and upgrade a school/church/clinic. Although there was plenty of desire for adventure and lore that led to my applying for the mission team. I'm hoping to go again in the spring with another mission, although I discovered recently that the town we are intending to go to was the epicenter of the 2005 rebellion. Should be interesting.

I don't want to be reckless, but if you go somewhere like that under the banner of the Salvation Army, it's better than a bulletproof vest. For example, in Petit Goave (the community we went to in 2007) the Salvation Army is on visiting terms with the local drug lord, which means that we can go into slums and villages that others can't. Not that that makes it safe, but it's certainly a good thing to be respected/left alone by the local armed groups.[/QUOTE]

Ah, understood. That makes sense; I was thinking "vacation" and couldn't fathom why anyone would do so.

Espy

Espy

Thats awesome Rob.

Chippy

Chippy

Thats awesome Rob.

Jake

Jake

The zoo has one-way exits. Why can't the fucking airport?

Rob King

Rob King

Thats awesome Rob.
.[/QUOTE]

I think it's pretty awesome myself :D

JCM

I'm pretty glad this guy is getting charge only with trespassing and nothing further. It's amazing to read comments on these stories. A couple of them want him sent to federal prison. Honestly though, isn't Newark security the area to focus the blame?

Anyway. I love how after the Dec 25 failed bombing, you see all sorts of planes being diverted and grounded due to unruly passengers. The terrorists have won, my friends.
Whats worse is that a guy from Nigeria with the name of Abdul Farouk Abdulmutallab, who happens to be in a No-fly and wanted terrorist list, gets by easily and almost blows up a plane, while shitloads of americans called Jack or Bob will keep on being submitted to all sort of shit by the TSA.

Espy

Espy

Well, can't profile there JCM, even if his name is on the TERRORIST WATCH LIST. Just wouldn't be PC.

JCM

Well, can't profile there JCM, even if his name is on the TERRORIST WATCH LIST. Just wouldn't be PC.
Damn.
Sadly this is one time where profiling would actually save lives. :(

@Li3n

@Li3n

Whats worse is that a guy from Nigeria with the name of Abdul Farouk Abdulmutallab, who happens to be in a No-fly and wanted terrorist list, gets by easily and almost blows up a plane, while shitloads of americans called Jack or Bob will keep on being submitted to all sort of shit by the TSA.[/QUOTE]

That's probably because searching Jack and Bob makes people feel safe because they see it, while no one sees what happens in Amsterdam (too busy smoking pot?).

Chazwozel

The zoo has one-way exits. Why can't the fucking airport?
Seriously. It's called a single direction turn style. A locking revolving door. A friggin one way gate. A single-direction automatic grocery store door for crying out loud. All these marvelous inventions from like the 1950's, and airports still depend on the mighty red, velvet rope.